• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Which one of these is my paint code?!

Tiger13

Car
CLK 230K Cabriolet (W208) 2001
I think I know the paint code but if a few of you could confirm by looking at these pictures that would be great!!

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Ok thats what I thought but when I went to see the donkeys at halfords they mixed me some up as they didnt have it on the shelf, I masked and papered all around it (Hence me not seing the difference immediately) and when I sprayed it this is what happened:

photo1.jpg

I didnt bother properly blending it and sanding it after as no amount of cutting paste will sort that out.

I gave them the code 189 (Greenish-black, although the car is obviously blue)

This is why I thought id post on here and confirm it's the halford idiots fault for mixing it wrong and not the wrong paint code!

It probably is the correct colour, and yours has faded.
A proper paint shop should be able to mix the exact colour as they have colour charts that include variation on the same theme.

Im pretty sure it's not faded that badly!

Last edited:
If I check the door jambs against the surrounding paint tommorow thats bound to tell me if it's faded or if the donkeys at halfords have messed it up (Which wouldn't be the first time!)

Your car looks like Green Black (I had a W202 that colour) its always hard to tell from internet images but code 199 I think was called Black Pearl in the UK but in German it is blauschwarz which is Blue Black.

Your car looks like Green Black (I had a W202 that colour) its always hard to tell from internet images but code 199 I think was called Black Pearl in the UK but in German it is blauschwarz which is Blue Black.

You mean 189?

Is it not possible to tell definitively from the plate photo's?

You mean 189?

Is it not possible to tell definitively from the plate photo's?

No - what I meant was they may have given you 199 Blue/Black instead of 189 Green/Black

Think your right mate, Sounds like halfords staff and would make much more sense!

Go to a MB dealer & buy an aerosol can of the correct paint + lacquer.

You'll need the lacquer too.

I think the MB product will be cheaper (& more likely to match).

You'll need the lacquer too.

I think the MB product will be cheaper (& more likely to match).

Spoke to a man at Mercedes and he said the dealer he is at doesn't do it and he is pretty sure they dont offer touch up cans just the pen kits, I have laquer in my garage already :-)

Paint Code

Hi everyone, I am a CLK owner. I just need anyone to confirm my mercedes' paint code by looking at chassis label below picture.
Is this number 197 that I marked paint code of my car?
Awaiting your replies guys.

Attachments

• foto?raf.jpg
    foto?raf.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 30
Dealers will definitely be able to sell you an aerosol to match any paint code. They come in a pack with a 200ml of colour matched paint and 200mll clear laquer for £18 inc vat.

I wouldn't mind betting the aerosol you bought off ebay gives you the same result the can from halfords did.

If you get a smart repair service to fix the problem they'll mix the paint to match whats on the car rather than the paint code and will get you much better results.

I bought a paint repair kit from Halfords matched for MB 197 Obsdian Black, though I only used it to touch-up a very tiny stone cheap do can't really comment on its quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom