2000 SLK 320 6spd manual Gearbox linkage and then gearbox trouble!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justinjoyit

Car
sl60
Hi folks,

So, after many tribulations including brake pipes, fuel filter, belt idler and tensioner pulleys, belt, central locking, battery, paint, tyres and other things I cannot think of but I'm sure there is more, I finally had my SLK 320 back on the road... for exactly 20 minutes. I went to put fuel in her and owing to a car being in the way I went around them and reversed to the pump. Went to go to neutral and... no gears.. like a bowl of soup... stuck in reverse!

Dammit - linkages I figure- no tools so called a mate to tow me, figured I 'd just pop the clutch in while on tow- have the engine on but just idle for the brake booster. Worst that could happen I thought was wear on the throw-out bearing but it was only a few miles- 10 minutes tops. Seemed fine till the last mile- then strange noises- geary noises... then a smell.. burny smell... then upon inspection oil everywhere... or is it clutch fluid... I dunno yet but what have I done do you think???! :doh:

I did drive it in reverse -sounds ok, clutch works... obviously there is oil or fluid from somewhere.

Haven't the heart to get underneath it right now... might be going to the big MB playground in the sky I think.

What do you guys think I've done? :fail

Diagrams of the linkages, clutch fluid , master etc much appreciated. :(

Towing it with reverse engaged will not have done the box or the clutch any good. The input shaft would have been spinning the clutch friction plate which may explain the burning smell. I would also think the lay gear used to select reverse will have sustained some sort of damage under towing.

Thanks... well bad news but thanks haha!
Any idea what the fluid would be? It has no real smell and quite clear and unsure if its clutch or oil.

I would think it would be gearbox oil,brake fluid does have a bit of a smell. Try checking the fluid reservoir and see if the level has dropped.

Is it up in the engine bay or underneath?

So I have figured out what happened.

The linkage came off. I have managed to get it back on after taking the shifter apart but it keeps coming off.
To be specific - its the main linkage below the shifter, the shifter has a round hole at the bottom and the linkage slides into that. Problem is it wont stay in. It feels all the way home and is good and then pops out again. Is there a retainer or clip thats come off?

I would really appreciate some input- a wiki of how to take the whole box out would be ideal.

Hello again! I have had my SLK 320 back on the road for some time after a tranny rebuild- which to be fair was done as a safety measure and replaced the clutch etc while there. Since then it has developed a shift pattern problem as in the gear shift lever is canted over to the right by a quarter inch and makes down shifting and finding second awkward. I have also changed the gearbox mount and engine mounts as I thought that might be it but no. I have tried finding a linkage diagram to see what adjustments can be made but only find them for the 230 which I believe is a different box, or can someone confirm this. The SLK320 6 speed is the same as a Sprinter but that uses cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom