2009 C180 Kompressor brake pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

420Gio

Car
R107 420SL
I use a reliable family garage for servicing my C180. On recent services and MoTs no reference was made to the offside brake pipes. However on its MoT last month it failed because of "excessive corrosion" to these pipes. I had them replaced, however I became more uncertain about it. It is 2009, it is relatively low mileage (51K) and it is stored in a dry garage. I then took it to one of the recommended garages in the Club Directory for an opinion. They were surprised that it needed doing - something they rarely do and only on older models. They confirmed that the work had been done. They observed that there was no evidence of any corrosion on other components (the near side pipes, suspension ...). I have brought all these and other points up with the garage but they insist it was corroded and have the sections of pipe to show me (I have no way of knowing whether they were mine). Does anyone have a view on this?

A 2009 is quite likely to have minor surface corrosion on the pipes but that doesn't warrant immediate replacement. What justifies the term "excessive corrosion" is subjective and one MOT tester may pass what another one fails or lists as an advisory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom