2019 E53 Accelerating after throttle released.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TurboBen

Car
E53 Coupe
Hi all, I've had a 2019 E53 Coupe for about 18 months now. Love the car, but I'm having a very concerning issue.

If I accelerate and then release the throttle at the same time as the car shifts up a gear (manually or automaticly), the car will continue to accelerate, sometimes for a second or two. It does it in Eco mode as much as sport+ mode. Even applying the brakes does not stop it. I had one occasion where someone opened a car door infront of me and I was fighting the engine trying to do an emergency stop. Another occasion resulted in the car leaving the road and mounting the footpath as it understeered around a mini roundabout.

The car is going in tomorrow to be looked at under warranty for the third time. The first time they retrained the gearbox which did not fix it. The second time they tried to gaslight me into believing it was normal behaviour.

I'm looking to get peoples thoughts on the problem, and what my options are if they try to gaslight me again or can't fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

No, nothing like that.

It only does it if you lift off the throttle at the same time as there is an up shift. It does it nearly every time, but is fine if there is no gear change. There's nothing physicly sticking, it's as if it's a problem with the ECU/TCU map.

If you have an obd reader, I would be checking the throttle closed switch (if it has one) or the tps (possibly the same part)

If you have an obd reader, I would be checking the throttle closed switch (if it has one) or the tps (possibly the same part)
I don't have an OBD reader available unfortunately. Surely a faulty TPS would show up in other situations though?

Quick update.

As expected, I'm being gaslit again. They sent a technician out to pick me up so I could show them the problem, even though he admitted to replicating it. The reasons given for it not being a fault were one or several of the following:

1. It's an AMG, it's for track use.
2. AMG have minimal engine braking (even though it has more engine braking than normal because of the mild hybrid motor)
3. It's a wet clutch, so reasons.
4. It's only noticeable when accelerating quite hard, so I'm driving too fast. Joining a busy roundabout doesn't require prompt acceleration.
5. If a deer ran out in front of me and I have to perform an emergency stop while the engine is trying to accelerate, it's not the car's fault the deer ran out in front of me.

I eventually got him to agree to raise the issue with AMG themselves, even though he remarked twice that he would have to answer lots of questions. Seems he was more concerned about that than the safety of the car.

Anyway, I'm not expecting any resolution. I'm reluctant to accept the car back as I consider it to be unsafe. I've already had a couple of close calls because of it and I'm constantly on edge while driving. If it did cause an accident and, god forbid, somebody got hurt, I would be the one responsible.

So, assuming there is no resolution, what would people advise?

I don't have an OBD reader available unfortunately. Surely a faulty TPS would show up in other situations though?

Quick update.

As expected, I'm being gaslit again. They sent a technician out to pick me up so I could show them the problem, even though he admitted to replicating it. The reasons given for it not being a fault were one or several of the following:

1. It's an AMG, it's for track use.
2. AMG have minimal engine braking (even though it has more engine braking than normal because of the mild hybrid motor)
3. It's a wet clutch, so reasons.
4. It's only noticeable when accelerating quite hard, so I'm driving too fast. Joining a busy roundabout doesn't require prompt acceleration.
5. If a deer ran out in front of me and I have to perform an emergency stop while the engine is trying to accelerate, it's not the car's fault the deer ran out in front of me.

I eventually got him to agree to raise the issue with AMG themselves, even though he remarked twice that he would have to answer lots of questions. Seems he was more concerned about that than the safety of the car.

Anyway, I'm not expecting any resolution. I'm reluctant to accept the car back as I consider it to be unsafe. I've already had a couple of close calls because of it and I'm constantly on edge while driving. If it did cause an accident and, god forbid, somebody got hurt, I would be the one responsible.

So, assuming there is no resolution, what would people advise?

WTAF on all of those reasons??? You can't drive an AMG saloon car on the road? Wet clutch so that means it accelerates by itself? As for the deer one.... Jesus. I'd be getting straight onto someone higher up at MB and getting that technician a slap.

WTAF on all of those reasons???
That's what I thought, but that's the thing about gaslighting. It makes you question whether it's you that's wrong. Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks it's unacceptable!

1 complete rubbish
2 more rubbish. Get them to explain why they say this so we can all have a laugh.
3 I’ve used wet clutches on motorbikes for years. Only issue is the plates can stick together when left for a while. Explanation on their theory needed.
4 laughable complete rubbish.
5 replace the word ‘deer’ with ‘child’ and see what they say.
Ask for those answers in writing.
Do they have any live data readouts for when this happens?

Die beste oder nichts my ****.

After that list the OP was presented with, maybe he could let us know the dealership in question and more interestingly the "comedian" who came up with the lame and pathetic excuses!
What utter tosh!

Thanks for all the comments so far. I've had an update this evening and it seems AMG are looking into the issue now. Hopefully they will take it a little more seriously.

After that list the OP was presented with, maybe he could let us know the dealership in question and more interestingly the "comedian" who came up with the lame and pathetic excuses!
What utter tosh!

My location is to the left. I'm not going to name names, the techie was probably just following orders. He admitted he had recreated the issue, so he must have been sent to try and talk me into ignoring the problem.

5 replace the word ‘deer’ with ‘child’ and see what they say.

I said that initially and he accused me of not driving to the road conditions/circumstances, which I guess is kind of true. The problem is only really noticeable when gunning it, which I wouldn't be doing if there's kids about. That's when I said about a deer running out and he said that's not the car's fault. No S Sherlock, but it is the car's fault if it's fighting me while I'm trying to do an emergency stop! I'm also sure it wouldn't do the car any good being anchored on the brakes while the engine is still engaged and trying to accelerate me. Christ, if I press the brake at the same time as the accelerator it won't let me do it!

Not been at all happy with the service I have recieved so far. Overcharge for everything and always trying to get some cash out of me for one thing or another when I take the car in for warranty work. They wanted £150+ out of me just to see if a small oil leak was a warranty repair. I don't trust them to be honest about it. I was considering a CLE450, but I'm not going to bother now.

Has it been re-mapped?
A previous owner didn`t fit one of these , by any chance ?

K

As far as I am aware, the car hasn't been remapped or had a pedalbox installed, certainly not by me. I think MB would have brought it up if there was anything like that fitted as no doubt they'd love to add it to the list of reasons it's not their responsibility.

Update.

I was told last Tuesday evening that AMG UK were looking into the issue and it would be a couple of days. Thursday came and went, so I called the dealership just after 2pm on Friday. Told I would get a call back. By 4.30 I'd heard nothing, so called again. Told I would get a call back. Recieved a call 15 minutes later, but they got me mixed up with someone else, so again told I would be called back. Eventually got a call back at 5pm.

There was no further news on my car, so with the weekend coming up I asked for a courtesy car. Tuesday was the earliest, so I brought up the AMG warranty which allows me £100 a day towards a courtesy car.

I was told that this didn't apply as it's not yet considered a warranty claim, and that they considered my car to be roadworthy. When I disputed this, the gaslighting started again, this time telling me that it only happens when the car is driven a certain way. As if that matters.

He then complained that he was only going through the process of contacting AMG out of the goodness of his heart and that it was costing him £155 an hour for the technician. I got the distinct impression that they have no intention of fixing the car and are only going to AMG so they can use it to send me on my way. I also get the feeling they are going to try and charge me for the time they've spent on the car.

I asked them to Email me to confirm the courtesy car, but as of writing this, I have not heard anything from them.

Hi , I feel the problem you have is that you were to have an accident what stance would you car insurance company take ?

I have only had a throttle stick open once and that was a change of underwear ( car was only producing a 120 bhp )

Hi , I feel the problem you have is that you were to have an accident what stance would you car insurance company take ?

I have only had a throttle stick open once and that was a change of underwear ( car was only producing a 120 bhp )

Honestly, insurance could be the least of my worries. If it causes an accident and someone is seriously hurt, or worse, it's my conscience, licence and freedom that may be at stake.

Thankfully, it doesn't hold the throttle wide open, but with over 400bhp it doesn't really need to.

Sorry to read this OP. I'm on my second E53 since December 2021 - a 2018/19 model and a 2022 facelift version for last 6 months. Never experienced anything like the throttle sticking open and I find the car self brakes pretty well. Sincewe have had the new 20mph zones in Wales over the last few months I'm finding I do a lot more self braking when coming into a 20mph zone than I ever did before. Sounds like MB are feeding you BS

Honestly, insurance could be the least of my worries. If it causes an accident and someone is seriously hurt, or worse, it's my conscience, licence and freedom that may be at stake.

Thankfully, it doesn't hold the throttle wide open, but with over 400bhp it doesn't really need to.
Hi TurboBen:

Any updates on your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom