2020 vs 2013 - Mercedes AMG C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's one from Ross reviews. I only watched it after posting. Unfortunately it seems both had aftermarket exhausts and the 205 was tuned 🤡🤣 damn. I thought he'd have also done a better review whoever he is. He doesn't even push the cars 😒 but he gets the sideways point right IMO the 205 is far more tail happy which is why for driving fun it wins hands down but the 204 is the choice if you just want sound , value for money and that gorgeous 6.2

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Old video that I must have missed, worth a watch although you may already seen it 🙂

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
How on earth did they both prefer the 205?

!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever driven one....?....just asking. I have along with the 204 at Goodwood...and IMO the only thing "better" on the early one is the noise......and the 205 still sounds very nice....just not quite as alive. Ignoring all the screen nonsense with is just "progress"....sort of. Sure, you cant account for personal taste etc etc......but in every measurable way the 205 is a better car....Which it should be be with nearly a decades worth of development to call upon. I love older cars and an a SADCASE member.........I prefer older cars......but I rarely would say any of the cars I love are actually better than the newer versions.....although the new 2.0 C63 might well change that line of thought!!!

Last edited:
How on earth did they both prefer the 205?

!!!!!!!!!

Everyone have their own taste but they have driven both. I'll have a black one, more so in BS form and it will be for keeps just like your BS. And me being a little greedy I'll also have new one on my driveway in a coupe. Aiming to drive each one each day depending on mood 🙂

Have you ever driven one....?....just asking. I have along with the 204 at Goodwood...and IMO the only thing "better" on the early one is the noise......and the 205 still sounds very nice....just not quite as alive. Ignoring all the screen nonsense with is just "progress"....sort of. Sure, you cant account for personal taste etc etc......but in every measurable way the 205 is a better car....Which it should be be with nearly a decades worth of development to call upon. I love older cars and an a SADCASE member.........I prefer older cars......but I rarely would say any of the cars I love are actually better than the newer versions.....although the new 2.0 C63 might well change that line of thought!!!
Storrington And District Classic And Sportscar Enthusiasts. I didn’t know you were a member!

I've owned both w204 ppp
W205 c63 I was the same tbh didnt fancy a w205 but after driving plenty of other makes I then drove the W205 which I bought there and then its a much better car in a no of way's it's still sounds great but slightly deeper PFL only, would i have another 204 , yes i would , ill also miss the 205 when it goes but at least I have the SLK55 for some fun and sounds lovly with the Xpipe😀

I also don't get the tail happy opinions as they both arnt unless
1 your driving it like a tit
2 you have cheap tyres
3 or you just can't drive 🙂

The steering feel and feedback on the 204 are much better than on the 205. Add to that engine noise and the manner of a N/A V8 and you have a good argument for saying a 204 is a more engaging car in many important ways than a 205. Not better, objectively, but if you go down that route you get to a 4WD electric box on wheels.

I am being devils advocate and the 205 is much more fun to push around corners near the limit even with MPS4S tyres as well as better in many ways.

But just as some people prefer 993s to 991s, or 430s to 296s…204 has its place.

@Engadine Playing devil's advocate? Hmm let me throw my 8 deadly sinlynders into the mix
I just found my dream car... Search for yours Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale
I didn't find the M156 very engaging in the W212 E63 and far preferred the Biturbo model.
For me the M156 belongs in the C63 and SL63.
Smaller cars you can throw around and rev the guts out them.

Others will have different opinions;):D

I agree...I wanted an E63 212 at one point and test drove a couple in M156 form....I then drove a 5.5 version....like chalk and cheese...so much more midrange response . To be honest I was surprised how gutless the 6.2 is in the lower and midrange of the revs.....I really didn't expect to have to rev a big old V8 so hard to make progress. Fine in a smaller and (slightly) lighter C63....out of character in a fast mid-sized super saloon. The creamy torque of the 157 suits the character of the E much better. Just my opinion of course.

....sorry @Skd884 !

I agree...I wanted an E63 212 at one point and test drove a couple in M156 form....I then drove a 5.5 version....like chalk and cheese...so much more midrange response . To be honest I was surprised how gutless the 6.2 is in the lower and midrange of the revs.....I really didn't expect to have to rev a big old V8 so hard to make progress. Fine in a smaller and (slightly) lighter C63....out of character in a fast mid-sized super saloon. The creamy torque of the 157 suits the character of the E much better. Just my opinion of course.

....sorry @Skd884 !
I agree. I drove the S saloon and coupe, CLS, E saloon and wagon, SL, SLS and C with the 6.2 V8 and found it by far the best in the C. There’s a sense of unhingedness which somehow even the SLS didn’t replicate. In the bigger bodied cars it just seemed unnecessary to have to rev them to get the performance, when they needed muscle car torque. The first gen of biturbo engines seemed to suit them more.

Would have been fun in a SLK

I'm not sure what ever happened to our good friend @350cls, haven't seen him on the forums? If he were here, he would grab an axle by now, ready to take someone down. I do miss him on the forums, not forgotten 🙂

I disagree and have a different opinion 🙂. I feel the M156 belongs to the preface lift W212 body, the sharp strong angular aggressive lines and the headlight arrangement with the shark fin design to the bumper goes really well with the ferocious, thirsty, axle murderer M156. But the m157 is much at home in the facelift, its body lines are a god send, front end sculpted like a basing shark with its massive air ducts ready to suck anything in its way design, which goes really well with the silky-smooth supersonic Lightning McQueen m157.

Both cars are 100% delight to own and love them both for what they are. If you do intend to buy, inspect the rear subframe for any corrosion. Apart from that the engine is not known for any major catastrophic failure.

Things to consider:
Every 60k, consider renewing injectors
Every 2 years, renew antifreeze. They contain corrosion inhibitors which will protect the headbolts from corrosion.
Camshaft adjuster plates, renew when needed (63motorsport).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom