99 Octane Unleaded at Tesco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Picked this up off another site this morning...

Unleaded petrol with the highest octane (RON) of any fuel available on UK forecourts is now available at Tesco – guaranteeing the market’s best value, performance-enhancing fuel.

The product is Super Unleaded 99 Octane and it will be rolled out to more than 100 Tesco petrol stations in London and the southeast by mid-November.

As well as increasing the octane to a level higher than any other petrol supplier, it is also more environmentally friendly and contains a special additive package to enhance engine cleaning, delivering further long-term benefits. During trials, sales of the fuel surpassed expectations. Peter Cattell, Tesco Petrol Category Manager says: “Tesco Super Unleaded 99 Octane delivers the market’s best value performance-enhancing fuel. Customers with new and/or high performing cars in our trial sites have noted a significant improvement in performance with the fuel giving more engine power.”

Tesco is already the market leader in fuel blended with bio-ethanol and was keen to continue this environmentally friendly strategy while introducing an advanced fuel. It is supplied by leading independent fuel company Greenergy and is typically blended with 5% bio-ethanol, a renewable product, which gives lower emissions of the greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide. Andrew Owens, Chairman of Greenergy Fuels Ltd said: “Bio-ethanol is becoming a central component in today’s fuels. We’re now using the product not just for environmental reasons but also to help raise the octane rating of our performance fuels.” Peter Cattell continued: “Our customers are not only getting a choice of quality fuels at the best prices, but they are amongst the most environmentally friendly motorists on the road, reducing their impact on the environment by using biofuel blended fuels.”

Tesco Super Unleaded 99 Octane made its first race appearance as the power behind car number 73 in Wales Rally GB 2005. The Subaru Impreza was driven by Nigel Griffiths with Greenergy Chairman Andrew Owens as co-driver.

PJ

I thought there was 100+ RON doing the testing rounds at a few SS in the SE?

I've used it a lots since we got it at the Tesco Extra in Sandhurst. I believe that it makes the car feel more responsive & driveable. Haven't kept an eye on economy but figure it may be better on a longer run.

I've started mixing, i.e. I fill up with standard & then premium on alternate fills, any ideas on whether that is sensible? ...or is it best to stick to one type of fuel?

How much is it at the Sandhurst Tesco?

Last night when I filled up I think it was about 95.2 / litre (sure it was under 96) vs 92.2 / litre for the regular.

imadoofus said:
The product is Super Unleaded 99 Octane and it will be rolled out to more than 100 Tesco petrol stations in London and the southeast by mid-November.
PJ

Obviously us poor northerners can't afford proper performance cars and all drive 15 year old Toyotas - oh hang on that's me isn't it :eek:

I thought that shell optimax has a 100 octane rating, at least is has in germany.

imadoofus said:
Unleaded petrol with the highest octane (RON) of any fuel available on UK forecourts is now available at Tesco – guaranteeing the market’s best value, performance-enhancing fuel.
PJ

I think not!! LPG is 112 Octane :D and only 40ppl :bannana:

graeme73s said:
I thought that shell optimax has a 100 octane rating, at least is has in germany.

I think it's 98.3 in the UK.

Regular unleaded is 89.9ppl by me, gonna find out how much the 99 octane stuff is tonight, might treat my lil baby with a full tank!

I put a tank worth of the 99 RON Tesco stuff in last weekend.

That fuel makes the car go link stink :devil: , but I have heard that it may not be good for certain engines - Something to do with the cat conv. Don't know if there is any truth behind the statement. Anyone?

PS: it was .94ppl at Tesco Eastbourne. Regular unleaded is .89.9ppl

I saw this fuel while filling the sooty van. Combined with the 5p off vouchers you can get from the store very good value, I intend to try in my shogun this weekend. (i only get 18mpg :()

So - when do the poor northeners see this liquid gold?

Cumbria = North West :) ;) ;)

They have it in the Barrow-In-Furness store in Cumbria (which may or may not be in the north west :crazy: )

I've filled up twice with it now and cannot tell any difference. Will return to the cheaper stuff.

Still, at least I have the choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom