A220 Misfuel (Another Misfuel Question Sorry)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slostuk

Car
W205
So last week I filled my one month old A220 with V Power Unleaded (clearly I was not thinking, I have been driving diesel cars for years), I did not realize for about 0.3/0.4 miles (driving at approximately 20MPH) when the car lost power, I coasted for approximately 0.2 miles (down hill) until it was safe to pull over and stopped the engine.

The car was recovered to the supplying MB dealer (I thought that was right thing to do, now I am not so sure). However the repair bill is almost £10000, I would not want to be building the car from spare parts.

If I understand correctly MB policy is to replace the entire fuel and exhaust system (there is a new DPF at £1685 plus VAT on the estimate).

I was wondering what advise the MB communicate could offer (apart from not to put petrol in a diesel). I understand that MB policy is that I must replace the fuel and exhaust system to maintain the warranty. If asked the main dealer to flush the tank, blow the lines and replace the fuel filter would that invalidate the warranty on the entire car or just on the fuel system / engine.

The dealer was too busy to look at the car last Thursday and Friday so it will be Tuesday before any work will start (will this have caused more damage).

The car has about 1000 miles on the clock.

Very sorry to hear of your bad luck.
I'm surprised MB cant fit a misfuelling device like Ford do. Perhaps its a patent issue.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, bad luck on such a new car.

I think that the biggest problem that you've now got is that the car is with Mercedes, they know that it's been mis-fuelled and are talking about the warranty being invalidated.

You could clearly get it fixed for far, far lower than £10k but depending on how ballsy you're prepared to be with the warranty issue you may not have a choice but to get it done there.

Have you checked your insurance small print to see if they provide any cover for mis-fuelling?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking so is it whether to pay £10G or lose the mfr warranty? I would lose the warranty. I doubt your new car will have issues in the next 3 years totalling £10G. Unless you have another brain fart like that of course.

I would then get an independent garage to do all the work. They will supply MB parts with a discount. You can buy an aftermarket warranty for the remaining period if you wish.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking so is it whether to pay £10G or lose the mfr warranty? I would lose the warranty. I doubt your new car will have issues in the next 3 years totalling £10G. Unless you have another brain fart like that of course.

I would then get an independent garage to do all the work. They will supply MB parts with a discount. You can buy an aftermarket warranty for the remaining period if you wish.

Exactly this but I largely suspect that how the car was purchased may influence the outcome. I'd like to know how MB would handle it if the OP took the car away untouched and sorted it elsewhere if they're expecting it back into the network in three years when the PCP or lease ends. If it's bought outright then your suggestion's a way forward.

I don't think that the entire fuel and exhaust system needs replacing, that's ****-covering or profiteering on MB's part.

Check your insurance and check the requirements of your finance/lease first (assuming you lease, if it's your car outright you can do what you like).

MB may be charging a lot but they are on hook for the warranty and it is entirely possible that all parts of the fuel system may well have suffered damage and so their behaviour is perfectly reasonable. It isn't their fault you fuelled with the wrong fuel and drove with it til the car failed.

If you don't need the warranty just move the car to an independent and do what work they recommend.

Check your insurance and check the requirements of your finance/lease first (assuming you lease, if it's your car outright you can do what you like).

MB may be charging a lot but they are on hook for the warranty and it is entirely possible that all parts of the fuel system may well have suffered damage and so their behaviour is perfectly reasonable. It isn't their fault you fuelled with the wrong fuel and drove with it til the car failed.

If you don't need the warranty just move the car to an independent and do what work they recommend.

Yep this is my fault, no one else's, the car is on a Mercedes PCP agreement. If I understand correctly, at the end of the four agreement the car would no warranty anyhow.

I guess how likely is it that every part of the fuel system has been damaged ?

£10k spend to preserve a warranty mmm..let me think about that? Ah that'll be a no from me then .. as above, take it to an indy.

When I when I pulled over I phone three different MB dealers, they all detailed the same procedure, drain the fuel, replace the filter and add two treatments of additive, the price quoted was between 650 - 850 pounds, they all were informed that car had been driven.

However the next day the price was almost £10K.

I guess if the car was not under warranty what would they be recommending ?

When I when I pulled over I phone three different MB dealers, they all detailed the same procedure, drain the fuel, replace the filter and add two treatments of additive, the price quoted was between 650 - 850 pounds, they all were informed that car had been driven.

However the next day the price was almost £10K.

I guess if the car was not under warranty what would they be recommending ?

I midfuelled my '54 ML270 a year or so ago and I'd driven it until it stopped. I took it to the local MB dealership and they flushed it out - £1500 is a lot cheaper than £10,000 - your insurance probably won't cover it - I checked mine (it seems a standard policy now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the exact wording of the PCP agreement you signed. If it includes clauses to the effect that the car has to be maintained or in the event of damage repaired to Mercedes recommended practices then your are stuck with that I'm afraid. First you need to establish the MB recommended repair proceedure in the event of misfuelling. Mercedes need to demonstrate this in writing and establish precendent. If for normal repair practice it is indeed deemed adequate to flush the system on other similarly afflicted cars [ not under warranty/pcp] then they are on a sticky wicket legally I would venture. This is an area you need expert legal/technical advice something possibly something the motoring organisations or citizens advice might be able to point you towards? At best the most you can probably negotiate is get the repair done at cost rather than normal dealer rates. that might reduce the price by up to 40-50%. Get lawyered up but be prepared to negotiate would be my advice.

If you do take the car for repair elsewhere, then the dealer may not record the misfuelling incident or have the means to. If that's the case then it may not affect future warranty repairs, unless the future fault has clearly been caused by misfuelling in the past.

Take it to an Indie that will be a lot cheaper, will do all the necessary and..who's to know that its had the repair done, I doubt an indie will record such detail, probably more grateful for the biz than anything else.. I know mine wouldn't, he'd just laugh and call me a cupid stunt....

If you do take the car for repair elsewhere, then the dealer may not record the misfuelling incident or have the means to. If that's the case then it may not affect future warranty repairs, unless the future fault has clearly been caused by misfuelling in the past.

Unfortunately the car was recovered be Mercedes Roadside Assist to the supplying retailer.

It was my understanding (maybe wrong) that Petrol into a diesel was less harmful that diesel into a petrol?

I would call up a miss fuel service and ask for a quote before doing anything. A main dealer has no interest in your situation at all. Their only interest is in fixing the car to a standard that will remove any chance of it landing on their warranty claims desk in the future. To do this they will replace everything they can think of with nice new parts, with absolutely no eye on the cost to you.

An independent or a miss fuel service want to help you whilst being sure that you can actually pay for them doing so. Have a google for mobile miss fuel guys.

Unfortunately the car was recovered be Mercedes Roadside Assist to the supplying retailer.

But you could arrange to recover it to another garage if you should choose to. If you leave the car at the dealer then it will be eyewateringly expensive even with a discount.

Obscenely expensive and, if you are not bound by any finance/lease clauses, an indie is a no-brainer. Insurance has been mentioned and a few policies do still cover misfuelling but I guess you will have checked that? I did the same thing once but, luckily, I only went a few yards before realising and the AA sorted it out for £200. It's just too easy a mistake to make when your mind is on other things.

Brother did this with the van (Sprinter),he put petrol in,from memory £15.I noticed what he had done,I told him fill up with diesel,no problem at all,Madam did the same,but again also realized what she had done,phoned me and said she had not started the engine,garage said they had a drain agent they use,I again just filled the tank with diesel,again no problem,no damage both vehicles still running ok.

Replace fuel filter, blow lines back to tank and drain/clean the tank in that order.

Worry about any warranty claims when they arise, if anything your fuel system will be void, but I doubt that.

Some years ago I called KIA UK to ask whether their 7 years warranty will be affected by a missed service.

The very reasonable response was that it will only become an issue if the failed component can be linked to the missed service, e.g. turbo charger.

I would hope/expect that the situation with MB UK is the same. I.e., that this will only affect warranty claims that can be linked to the misfuelling issue.

So yes, your warranty will be affected, but this need not imply that you will have no warranty at all.

Either way, best confirm this directly with MB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom