Advice needed on completely worn out rear tyres on W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swl

My friend has a W203 that was bought from new 11 months ago. To date it has done 5000 miles. A few days ago, one of his neighbour told him that he noticed that the rear tyres on my friend's car is completely worn out. My friend checked and was amazed to find both the tyres were indeed worn out.

My friend's wife took the car to dealer B to have the tyres checked out since it was nearer than dealer A where they had bought the car. Mr X from dealer B told her that the tracking (correct word?) is wrong and the wheels has to be realigned. He advised her to go to an independent tyre shop to have the wheels fitted as they are cheaper. Once that is done to bring the car back to them for realignment. He told my friend's wife that the cause of why the tyres are completely worn out is the car going over potholes and this is not covered under warranty.

My friend's wife then took the car to a tyre shop. The man at the shop asked if the car has been involved in an accident. When told no, he said that going over potholes would not caused a 2 degree misalignment otherwise the local authorities would be sued by lots of drivers. He thinks that the wheels weren't checked properly before they left the factory. He advised her to complain to Mercedes again.

My friend's wife said to me the tyres aren't that expensive. It's about £60 each to replace the Goodyear. She was more worried by what the tyre shop man said to her. If the alignment is not done properly, the same will happen again to the tyres.

I said to her that my husband's car (identical to theirs) has Continental tyres. How come she has Goodyear on hers.

Question: Does Mercedes use Goodyear as an alternative supplier besides Continental on the W203?

One other thing I remembered was that my friend took the car back to dealer A when first bought to have the car realigned as the car was bearing left.

Question: Is it possible that dealer A did a poor job on the alignment that caused the tyres to be worn out at 5000 miles?

Personally, I think she should go back to dealer A to complain and not accept dealer B's argument that it is wear and tear and not covered under warranty. What would be your advice?

Thanks.

swl

Wheel Alignment

I would go back to dealer that sold you the car, if poss before you put new tyres on. Get the whole vehicle checked not just one axle.

Lots of info on wheel alignment on familycar

Run your hand back and forth across the tread, being careful not to cut yourself on any debris or exposed steel belt wire. If the tread is smooth in one direction, but jagged in the other you have what is called a "saw-tooth" wear pattern which is caused by a toe-in problem. Have the alignment checked as soon as possible as this condition causes rapid tire wear.

Last edited:
Return the car to dealer A. I would be looking for two new tyres (possible contribution towards 5k wear) and having them sort out the wheel alignment.

5k for a set of tyres is totally unacceptable :mad:

I would push them for a set of new tyres and to get
the alignment sorted as it is a brand new car.
if they still refuse ask them meet you half way
and ask them to contribute 50% towards the cost of the tyres.

I had a friend who had a similar problem on his BMW
and after much negotiation BMW decided to contribute
50% towards the cost of his tyre even though they said
tyre wear is normal wear & tear and not covered by the warranty.

swl said:
Question: Does Mercedes use Goodyear as an alternative supplier besides Continental on the W203?
swl

Yes, It depends on what is fitted at the factory. MB uses continental, goodyear and michelin.

swl said:
Question: Is it possible that dealer A did a poor job on the alignment that caused the tyres to be worn out at 5000 miles?
swl

I don't know about this but tyres going bald at 5000 miles is very suspicious :confused:

Thanks for all the replies so far. I will pass on the info to my friend.

Re PJH's: I would go back to dealer that sold you the car, if poss before you put new tyres on.

The new rear tyres had to be fitted immediately as the 2 old rear ones were completely bare!! For safety reason that's why the car was driven to dealer B instead of dealer A which is much further away.

swl

It's possible that to correct the car pulling or drifting to the left, the dealer "A" adjusted the camber. This is a poor method used by some dealers and will always result in horrendous tyre wear.

The car needs to have a full four wheel setup performed. Your friend needs to ensure they are given a printout of the setup and to check for any anomolies. The printout highlights anomolies.

I didn't read the post properly before and can now see it states "rear tyres". If they are worn evenly then the best advice for your friend is..STOP THE TRAFFIC LIGHT GRAND PRIX STARTS. :D :D

Last edited:
well , funny you should say that.....

I checked my Goodyear NCT 5 tyres on the rear of my car last year only to find there is very little tread after only 11k :eek:

this is totally unacceptable for a set of rear tyres :eek:

I vow never to buy goodyear again. I managed to get 40k out of a set of Michelin energy tyres on my C220 CDI :D so you can imagine how i drive....

fuzzer said:
well , funny you should say that.....

I checked my Goodyear NCT 5 tyres on the rear of my car last year only to find there is very little tread after only 11k :eek:

this is totally unacceptable for a set of rear tyres :eek:

I vow never to buy goodyear again. I managed to get 40k out of a set of Michelin energy tyres on my C220 CDI :D so you can imagine how i drive....

My car came with Pirelli P6000 and they were worn out at 11k. The Michelins on now lok like new after 11k and that includes more town work than before.

We've just had all four of our Goodyear Eagle NTC's replaced on our Voyager - this was a complete replacement set from the set first put on the car - they'd done 48k miles :D . So needing replacement after only 5k - I'd be back to the dealer like a shot coz something is not right. - unless of course they do like their wheel spin ;)

Dieselman said:
I didn't read the post properly before and can now see it states "rear tyres". If they are worn evenly then the best advice for your friend is..STOP THE TRAFFIC LIGHT GRAND PRIX STARTS. :D :D

I can just visualise my friend's 3 sons saying "Go on Dad! You can do it!". ;)
Unfortunately, knowing my friend, I can't see this happening. :)

My friend's wife told me that dealer B was going to charge her about £500 to do the tracking. After hearing some of your advice, she is going to to cancel the appointment with dealer B to do the tracking. Instead, she will take the car to dealer A and get them to sort out the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom