AMG M113 engine rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frostbite

Car
C43 AMG, 96 Jeep Cherokee 2.5, Triumph Explorer and Thruxton
Hi all,

I'm about to start a refurb of a 5.4 M113 engine to put into my C43. Before I start enthusiastically tearing it to pieces however..

The questions are.. 'Can I still get all the seals, gaskets, bearings, nuts, bolts and all the other sundry bits I may have to replace?' and,
'Is there an easy source of info for things like torque settings and nut/bolt tightening sequences?'

I may just take the heads off and clean them up. See what the bores etc look like before I go any further. Why I imagine that I'll make any difference to an engine that AMG put together 105,000 miles ago, I have no idea, but it's a hobby after all.
It's from a CL55 I believe, with 105,000 miles done. Bought from Acid at MSL so I'm happy it's a good one (begs the question, 'why am I taking it apart?' - well mostly to make it look good and to take the opportunity to do a lot while it's out of the car).

I have just done this (well the heads) everything can be bought from the dealers, most expensive things were the head gaskets at around £120ish for both! Mine had done around 235000 miles and to be honest you wouldn't have believed it from taking it apart, I probably wouldn't bother if I were you, just change the plugs and coils while its out!

I really like that fact you want to do this for a hobby. I think that's fantastic.
However, I would urge caution at going as far as taking the heads off. At 105k it'll be nicely run in. And the old adage, if it's not broken, don't fix it!

I would defo agree with comprehensive service with plugs and leads etc while its out, and why not a lick of paint?!

Also, I have a pair of nicely painted black rocker covers if you'd like them for cheap?

I miss my c43/55 so much. Really want it back. :-(.

I really like that fact you want to do this for a hobby. I think that's fantastic.
However, I would urge caution at going as far as taking the heads off. At 105k it'll be nicely run in. And the old adage, if it's not broken, don't fix it!

I would defo agree with comprehensive service with plugs and leads etc while its out, and why not a lick of paint?!

Also, I have a pair of nicely painted black rocker covers if you'd like them for cheap?

I miss my c43/55 so much. Really want it back. :-(.

Thanks for the offer and advice... think I'll leave it intact as long as the compression is fine. I'm going to clean and repaint the whole thing, mostly silver with red cam covers (may powder coat them) and also clean/polish/paint all the ancilliaries too. It'll certainly have all new plugs, leads, belts etc. and the engine bay will get some TLC while I can climb into it. Probably a year before I actually swap the engine over though.
The original 4.3 engine still runs nicely after 108,000 miles, so no rush. I'll tart that up too and either sell it or keep it as a spare.

Hi all,

I'm about to start a refurb of a 5.4 M113 engine to put into my C43. Before I start enthusiastically tearing it to pieces however..

The questions are.. 'Can I still get all the seals, gaskets, bearings, nuts, bolts and all the other sundry bits I may have to replace?' and,
'Is there an easy source of info for things like torque settings and nut/bolt tightening sequences?'

I may just take the heads off and clean them up. See what the bores etc look like before I go any further. Why I imagine that I'll make any difference to an engine that AMG put together 105,000 miles ago, I have no idea, but it's a hobby after all.
It's from a CL55 I believe, with 105,000 miles done. Bought from Acid at MSL so I'm happy it's a good one (begs the question, 'why am I taking it apart?' - well mostly to make it look good and to take the opportunity to do a lot while it's out of the car).

Change the headers?

Change the headers?

Hmm, I've thought about it, not sure how much difference to the £ it'll make. All seem very expensive and I've seen some reports of questionable quality in some. Then of course we get into sports cats/de-cats etc. At the moment my plan for the exhausts is a Torqueflow system from the primary cat back.

I will probably do the cat-back thing quite soon while the 4.3 is still in, the current system is tatty with signs of corrosion and previous welding. The secondary cats have already been replaced with two lengths of straight pipe by a previous owner. I'll reconsider posh headers etc when I get around to swapping the engine over.

frostbite said:
Hmm, I've thought about it, not sure how much difference to the £ it'll make. All seem very expensive and I've seen some reports of questionable quality in some. Then of course we get into sports cats/de-cats etc. At the moment my plan for the exhausts is a Torqueflow system from the primary cat back. I will probably do the cat-back thing quite soon while the 4.3 is still in, the current system is tatty with signs of corrosion and previous welding. The secondary cats have already been replaced with two lengths of straight pipe by a previous owner. I'll reconsider posh headers etc when I get around to swapping the engine over.

What are you after as the end result?

We have converted quite a few 43's to 55's so have got the T shirt etc with this mod.

A few pointers:

1. Make sure the brakes and braking system are bang on.
2. Make sure the body is up to it. (202's like to corrode)
3. Make sure the suspension is in good nick. Including, shocks, springs, suspension arms and steering. Run 18's on a 255 tyre at the back.
4. Fit a Quaife diff otherwise it's pointless. You will never get the power down.

My M113 is in 179k and still runs sweetly and pulls like a train
I would tend to agreed with the above and simply do the servicable items that are easy to do whilst engine out

would it be possible to replace the entire top oilfilter housing which was cut off on this engine?

Mercedes S Klasse W220 W215 CL S55 AMG Motor Triebwerk 113986 113.986 | eBay

why would a breaker cut off this part?
it's more difficult to find buyers because of this missing part!
engine looks very nice besides this little defect.
it's a low mileage 120000km's

BlackC55 said:
What are you after as the end result? We have converted quite a few 43's to 55's so have got the T shirt etc with this mod. A few pointers: 1. Make sure the brakes and braking system are bang on. 2. Make sure the body is up to it. (202's like to corrode) 3. Make sure the suspension is in good nick. Including, shocks, springs, suspension arms and steering. Run 18's on a 255 tyre at the back. 4. Fit a Quaife diff otherwise it's pointless. You will never get the power down.

I had 17" wheels with 245 on the back and they were fine so long as you stay away from the ditch finder tyres. I had a quake diff too. Essential otherwise you'll just be spinning one wheel the whole time.

What are you after as the end result?

We have converted quite a few 43's to 55's so have got the T shirt etc with this mod.

A few pointers:

1. Make sure the brakes and braking system are bang on.
2. Make sure the body is up to it. (202's like to corrode)
3. Make sure the suspension is in good nick. Including, shocks, springs, suspension arms and steering. Run 18's on a 255 tyre at the back.
4. Fit a Quaife diff otherwise it's pointless. You will never get the power down.

I'm after Hoofin' torque.. and the sheer fun of doing the conversion. For me it's as much about the spannering as the driving.
1. They're all in fine fettle - braided steel hoses the only mod.
2. Just spent a lot of time and squids on the body, (had all the carpets and everything else out for a bit of welding). It's now solid and will have the bumpers and wheel arch liners off to be Waxoyled/Dinitroled professionally soon.
3. Needs some bushes replacing, these will be done in the next few weeks anyway. I've got H+R lowered springs and Bilstein B8s. Running 18" wheels - not sure what size without looking right now, but the back is wider than the front.
4. I agree, I'll be adding my name to the group buy thing imminently.
:D

I'm after Hoofin' torque.. and the sheer fun of doing the conversion. For me it's as much about the spannering as the driving.
1. They're all in fine fettle - braided steel hoses the only mod.
2. Just spent a lot of time and squids on the body, (had all the carpets and everything else out for a bit of welding). It's now solid and will have the bumpers and wheel arch liners off to be Waxoyled/Dinitroled professionally soon.
3. Needs some bushes replacing, these will be done in the next few weeks anyway. I've got H+R lowered springs and Bilstein B8s. Running 18" wheels - not sure what size without looking right now, but the back is wider than the front.
4. I agree, I'll be adding my name to the group buy thing imminently.
:D

Sounds like you'll have an awesome car!:rock:

Your car is awesome looking to be fair - gotta love 18's on H&R's

for Olly & NB who have first hand experience of this mod , what's it like in comparison to the standard 4.3p

Last edited:
It blows it away.

Your car is awesome looking to be fair - gotta love 18's on H&R's

for Olly & NB who have first hand experience of this mod , what's it like in comparison to the standard 4.3p

I went to brunters on a VMax day and saw 0-60 in 4.9 on an open diff and not really trying for 0-60 times. Recorded on a Vbox. It would hit the limiter at 160mph (gps) easily. Never sure why it wasn't 155 but never mind...!
I wanted to get it mapped properly to make the most of the ecu, air filters and decat and get a delimit but never got around to it. Having said that it drove very well and did not feel like it needed mapping, but I know it would have benefited from it.

If you search my threads, you'll see I changed the rear subframe as it broke, more through corrosion. I modified one to strengthen it, powder coated it and fitted it the same time as the diff. Well worth it for peace of mind. I have another subframe somewhere I think... they are the same on all saloon 202's anyway.

It will stay with all manner of high performace cars. You won't be disappointed!

A definite future mod then.....bank manager won~t be happy :(

Quaife diff ordered! So that'll mean dropping the rear subframe and that'll mean cleaning it all up and making it shiny and tip top. Any excuse to get bits out and and then put them back in again. I'm still only just starting to learn how this car works and what and where everything is. May get around to driving it one day... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom