BBC: - Car key jammers: What you need to know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markmifsud

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Insignia VXR 2.8t (2017) SuperSport, AWD, eLSD / Gone :( CLK320 CAB (A208) 02
According to the BBC, theres growing occurrences of key jamming

Car key jammers: What you need to know - BBC News

Anyone know if Mercedes are susceptible to this? If So, another good reason to have your siren to Beep on set as a confirmation that your all secured.

Or have the mirrors auto fold on locking?

Or have the mirrors auto fold on locking?

I always look back and check the car is locked by using the mirrors.

I do wonder if it is failsafe though!

Mine do not auto fold. But yes for those that can, its as good as any way to double check your locked.

"the thieves had been using my contactless"

and THAT is why I just sent a new debit card back because it had this feature, and got the none-contactless replacement.

Why the hell people want less security for a millisecond quicker payment I do not know.

Although it wasnt quicker for the poor sod in Morrisons yesterday. Go on phone, activate NFC, wave it at reader. It doesnt work. Tap phone on reader. Eventually works after 4th or 5th try.

yeah so much better than sticking a card in.

I tend to ensure I have not walked away from the car when I lock it, so usually see the buttons go down. But also tend to check the mirrors have folded as that double check. I haven't turned on the bleep noise though, just for the fact it would bug me. No idea why, just a personal annoyance.

This isn't really an new problem, its been happening for years, the problem is getting worse as the technology to do the blocking becomes cheaper and cheaper. Its so easy for the car theft equivalent of a script kid to do these days. Technology can defeat it, but the cost to reto fit is prohibitive for most when the risk is so low.

Last edited:
Always wondered why we can't just use a thumb/finger print to pay?

The Lexus is Keyless entry, so I'm stood next to the car when locking by touching the door handle.

I turn off the auto folding mirrors, have had to replace the wiring looms twice now due to broken wires and they aren't cheap!

I'm rarely far enough away to not hear it lock, if I am I always look for the indicators flashing, it's just habit.

Always wondered why we can't just use a thumb/finger print to pay?

If my memory is correct, I seem to remember there were two issues with that. Firstly, there was a concern that people would have digits removed by ne'er-do-wells and secondly, there was some discomfort about everyone having their fingerprint(s) held on file.....

I turn off the auto folding mirrors, have had to replace the wiring looms twice now due to broken wires and they aren't cheap!

Never understood why MB didn't use ultraflex cabling for the door mirrors, would sort the issue once and for all :dk:

If my memory is correct, I seem to remember there were two issues with that. Firstly, there was a concern that people would have digits removed by ne'er-do-wells and secondly, there was some discomfort about everyone having their fingerprint(s) held on file.....

I'm all for microchipping at birth....

Well security is what we all want,if you have a keyless go car,then you have to be very careful,if you park your car on your driveway then make sure your keys are in a container lined with foil,the scanners can read your key from the road,the same when you lock up keep the key in a lined bag in your pocket, the same goes for debit cards that are contact less have a compartment in your wallet with foil in it this will stop people scanning your cards,as regards jammers,I always check my mirrors have closed,for those cars that do not close,then pull the door handle.

Keyless entry only works within 1m of the car door, scanner would have to be pretty damn friendly to stand that close!

Plus these things are on a rolling code, so even if they scan the lock transmission the unlock would be different?

You only need to be within the range of the key. The devices then request, capture and repeat the signal on a much higher power level meaning they can be 10m+ from the car.

Its a piggy in the middle attack and why you should not leave the key just inside the door.

I don't think I'll loose sleep over it ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom