Bike rack solutions for estates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DuFFmAn

Hi all.

Just about to pick up a Mercedes E Class 2017 estate. I fancy a bike rack that you can quickly install/remove on the tail gate. I already have roof mounted racks and they are a pain and I don't fancy spending £800 plus on a tow bar system.

There is a Thule outward hanging bike rack that Halfords recommend but I'm worried it will block the numberplate.

I'd be interested to know what other people are using on their estate cars and what the positioning is in respect of numberplates. Photos would be great.

Hi all.

Just about to pick up a Mercedes E Class 2017 estate. I fancy a bike rack that you can quickly install/remove on the tail gate. I already have roof mounted racks and they are a pain and I don't fancy spending £800 plus on a tow bar system.

There is a Thule outward hanging bike rack that Halfords recommend but I'm worried it will block the numberplate.

I'd be interested to know what other people are using on their estate cars and what the positioning is in respect of numberplates. Photos would be great.
This isn't going to help but after years of faffing about with external carriers and straps and the like £800 for a tow bar system is well worth it in my book. I was fortunate that my E came fitted with a Westfalia removeable tow bar so i bought a Westfalia rack. It's an absolute marvel. Honestly i would never go back to putting bikes on a strap secured rack or even on the roof. A tow bar rack is just so effortless and secure the cost will soon be forgotten i guarantee. And no stress about damaging paint etc. The one i have tips as well so you can still open the tailgate with the bikes loaded. Then you can easily fold the rack and put it in the boot when you've taken the bikes off if you want (for extra security though it does lock to the tow bar). In fact with the Westfalia rack you can also buy a box thing that sits on there if you want to cart something bulky on the rack. Mine is like this (10% off at the moment):

Bike rack

Just get another number plate and hang it on the rack. In daylight you won't get pulled.

Hi all.

I've always been sceptical of the weight hanging on the rear door of hatches and estates. They aren't built with the intention of carrying that weight. OK, two bikes won't pull the door off, but they will damage the fit and give you the risk of wind noise and rain intrusion.

My solution to the awkwardness of loading bikes on the roof - and let's be clear, it is awkward and risky in several ways - was simply to buy a DIY'ers folding box / stand, which enabled me easily to step up and rotate with the bike. It might sound obvious but it wasn't to me before, and a lot of people seeing me use it have said that it's a solution they hadn't considered before.

I've always been sceptical of the weight hanging on the rear door of hatches and estates. They aren't built with the intention of carrying that weight. OK, two bikes won't pull the door off, but they will damage the fit and give you the risk of wind noise and rain intrusion.

My solution to the awkwardness of loading bikes on the roof - and let's be clear, it is awkward and risky in several ways - was simply to buy a DIY'ers folding box / stand, which enabled me easily to step up and rotate with the bike. It might sound obvious but it wasn't to me before, and a lot of people seeing me use it have said that it's a solution they hadn't considered before.
They can also make a mess of the plastic spoiler if one is fitted.

Yeah, I carry some folding steps - makes the whole process of getting 4 x bikes up and down far easier.

They can also make a mess of the plastic spoiler if one is fitted.

I tried to offer up a Saris Bones rack to the tailgate of my 212 Estate. As far as I could make out it was going to seriously damage the plastic spoiler thing. I gave it to mate and went for the Thule roof system.

I'd never go back to rear hanging biked racks, just after you have put all the bikes on you always realise you need to be in the boot!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:
I actually found over the years the roof mounted ones on the E class estate was my preferred method, if its a SUV then its becomes more difficult due to the height, but the E Class estate roof fitting wasn't a problem unless you are physically challenged. (ie 5ft 41/4")

Chuck it inside the car that's what estates are for...
I used to - actually i found the best way to carry two bikes was one upside down on the back seat and one upside down in the rear footwell. Wheels in wheel bags in the boot. Then you still have loads of boot space. Use of 'Chain Johnnys' keeps the oily bits away from the head lining etc. My mtb was a different issue though - its a big fat Yeti so had to go in with the seats folded. That's why i ended up going the tow bar rack route - so much easier and the car stays clean. 👍

Thule bike racks mounted on tow-bars hinge down if you need access to the boot , it is a bit of a pain in the a$$ though depending on the weight of the bikes.

We tried a 'strap on' (calm down at the back there) bike rack on the Zafira (vertical tail gate) , it was such faff (and never felt safe) so I had a towbar fitted and bought a 3 bike Thule that fixes to the towball .

It has worked fine for the last decade or more.

I know a tow bar is not an option for everyone (one more thing to worry about at MOT time) but it's the best option IMHO.

The Tailgate of the the S213 is platic and the spoiler on the top is held on by 3 nuts and some 3M. If you look on the Thule website you will see that their tailgate bike carriers are not to be used on the S213. You'll need to go with roof or towbar I fear. Also if you do use the tailgate, please don't be that person whose bikes cover the rear lights of the car (especailly the brake lights). Its not a good look for the people following you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom