Billy-CLS55 Boost Leak Reduction Prep for Eurocharged Dyno Day - How To...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
Hi,

Billy posted on the Eurocharged thread a different approach to preparing his car for a remap by Jerry, this included a few checks to ensure his car was suffering from minimal if no boost leaks, plus a few other jobs to complete preparation. Quite a few questions have been asked with regard to which parts, where located, how fitted, how long did it take, is it DIY or Indie supported, costs etc etc......

Billy has asked if I can post up his responses and pics so here goes....

Original quote;

I am new to the forum so here goes, I have previously spoken to Acid and been helped by savman on a few occasions, and managed to get on the SRR day, I went at the tuning from another angle, I am told for example the metal gaskets between the supercharger and inlets last approx 50k and when removed both sets were shot, but I thought get the boost in without any leaks would be my route so below is what I done

Oil change mobil 1 and merc filter
Spark plugs
HT Leads
Inlet gaskets inc supercharger
Standard oem filters Air filters my car just did not like the K&Ns
Supercharger oil change using Jet oil II still have some left if required
Rear Y pipe o ring
Front air valve metal gaskets
Rear new rubber bung for metal supercharger vent pipe, note this pipe is pretty important to your engine running and can cause many problems if left out or is leaking and note the replacement had a revised part number and a much better fit
Full gearbox flush and filter approx 13L to do this

Most of this work you can do yourself if you like getting your hands dirty apart from removing the supercharger and gearbox flush

That's about it, my car may have made great power if I didn't do this work I will never know but my 1st run at SRR was 529 bhp and after Jerrys magic over 560bhp and all I have is a standard car with standard air filters

Thanks to Paul & Acid, koolvin and Jerry at Eurocharged and was nice to meet the other Guys at SRR Friday Meet

I am thinking about the supercharger pulley now just to see what I will make, if you need any part numbers let me know

On my gearbox remap I am having the same problem as the others, will try the battery disconnection but don't think this will help as I had my adaptions reset after the gearbox was done

Billy's replies to my questions;

Do you have the part numbers etc for the metal gaskets between the S/C and
inlets, and did you do this job yourself, if so how long did it take to do?

Removing the supercharger was done by a merc engineer it's a pretty hard job and
take approx 3-4 hours, but I helped clean the surfaces of the metal faces :),
and changed the supercharger oil, using Mobil Jet oil II a syringe to refill
after tipping out the old do not over fill, it must be a level surface and fill
just as it comes out the drain hole, I did the air valves my r/hand gasket was
shot and leaking, and the top inlets pretty easy to be honest, torque for the
valves and inlet was 9nm, I can do this in around 1 hour and taking my time

Where is the rear Y Pipe you have referred to where you changed the O Ring and
do you have the part number?

I will send over a pic

Where is the front air valve, do you have the part numbers for the metal gaskets
and did you do this yourself or have them fitted?

Easy job but a bit fiddly allow 1 hour to change and you can only do these once
the top inlets are off

Do you have the number for the rubber bung for the S/C vent pipe ( revised part
number), did you fit this?

Again an easy job, do this when you remove the supercharger etc, or you can do
by removing the top air boxes takes about 20 mins

Pictures to support the above with associated diagram reference numbers;

2 x 206 note 203 & 200 ares the air valves you have to remove the air inlets to do these
1 x 191
1 x 194

And 2 x front screws

CLS1.jpg

You will require

Supercharger gasket 122 now I cant see the other side so you will have to check with merc as these may be sided
1 x gasket 29
1 x gasket 170
1 x 23 which is the new rubber bung for the metal vent pipe

Now I did not strip the charge cooler from the supercharger, so suggest you leave this as is

The part no for the o ring for the rear I don’t have, as I just asked the parts guy to get me one in, but it’s a easy swap, and when you push it back on the TB you will feel its much tighter

If you can post all this info for others mate would be appreciated

CLS2.jpg

Hope this helps..........

Very usefull Billy, will come in handy for alot of people, thanks Jules for posting!

Very usefull Billy, will come in handy for alot of people, thanks Jules for posting!

Thanks Alps, I would be intrested in these if you get time to drop me a pm with any details you have, MB Ipod\Iphone Kit, E63 Steering wheel, CLS63 IC, SL65 GearKnob

Thanks Billy - bet you didn't expect a load of questions from us all!!!

Much appreciated.

Simon

Reckon Billy could have himself a full time job opportunity changing all of our supercharger gaskets!

It is possible to remove the supercharger without a crane or block and tackle but you will need at least two people, three is easier one at the front and one either side. With a engine crane it is possible to do it solo although I had some help which made it easier to guide correctly.

If you do split the supercharger from the intercooler make sure you have the correct liquid to dissolve and remove the old sealant, you should not use a scrapper or abrasive to remove the old sealant. The surface must be smooth and flat for the new sealant.

If you remove the injectors from the fuel rail make sure they are seated in the fuel rail correctly, its very easy for them to get pushed up if you have not seated them correctly with the securing tabs. I found it easier to refit the rail and injectors to the supercharger while it was off the car that way you can ensure each one sits square and you don't crush any "O" rings. If you have standard injectors they also have small plastic hats be careful as its easy to break this when refitting.

Make sure you plug the TB and bypass into there correct sockets in the engine harness, the sockets are identical.The TB harness has blue tape around it if you don't see any tape then mark it prior to removal so its easy to identify when refitting.

Give all the sealant time to dry completely before starting the engine otherwise the vacuum will pull the sealant through the rotors!

Lastly you may need to reset the throttle body, I also had to reset the bypass valve as well.

Once the car was running I used some brake fluid and sprayed on all the joins to see if any leaks.

It's actual pretty straight forward although access to WIS is a real benefit, you will soon realise that the M113K is a dream to work on.

It is possible to remove the supercharger without a crane or block and tackle but you will need at least two people, three is easier one at the front and one either side. With a engine crane it is possible to do it solo although I had some help which made it easier to guide correctly.

If you do split the supercharger from the intercooler make sure you have the correct liquid to dissolve and remove the old sealant, you should not use a scrapper or abrasive to remove the old sealant. The surface must be smooth and flat for the new sealant.

If you remove the injectors from the fuel rail make sure they are seated in the fuel rail correctly, its very easy for them to get pushed up if you have not seated them correctly with the securing tabs. I found it easier to refit the rail and injectors to the supercharger while it was off the car that way you can ensure each one sits square and you don't crush any "O" rings. If you have standard injectors they also have small plastic hats be careful as its easy to break this when refitting.

Make sure you plug the TB and bypass into there correct sockets in the engine harness, the sockets are identical.The TB harness has blue tape around it if you don't see any tape then mark it prior to removal so its easy to identify when refitting.

Give all the sealant time to dry completely before starting the engine otherwise the vacuum will pull the sealant through the rotors!

Lastly you may need to reset the throttle body, I also had to reset the bypass valve as well.

Once the car was running I used some brake fluid and sprayed on all the joins to see if any leaks.

It's actual pretty straight forward although access to WIS is a real benefit, you will soon realise that the M113K is a dream to work on.

Bloody Hell!! Just when I thought it seemed really straightforward Paul comes up with a reality check :mad::D

Yep doing the supercharger is not for the faint hearted, we also used custom studs to guide the supercharger in place and removed once in situ, defo one for the pros

Last edited:
Yep doing the supercharger is not for the faint hearted, we also used custom studs to guide the supercharger in place and removed once in situ, defo one for the pros

I just stopped the crane when the supercharger was a couple of inches above the block and used two screw drivers to both position the gaskets and act as guide studs from above going through the bolt holes of the supercharger and through into the block.

Just came acroos the fuel cleaner part number on my invoice its Mercedes
MA000 989 25 45/12

Just came acroos the fuel cleaner part number on my invoice its Mercedes
MA000 989 25 45/12

I just got a bottle of that cataclean stuff delivered today you mentioned you had used first off, so am going to stick that in the tank tomorrow.

Just found out a bit more info on the gaskets would appear they leak beyond 14 psi, going to see if I still have my old ones in the garage and get some drawn up and laser cut, ready for my boost upgrade via Acid

Intake Manifold Gaskets

Just found out a bit more info on the gaskets would appear they leak beyond 14 psi, going to see if I still have my old ones in the garage and get some drawn up and laser cut, ready for my boost upgrade via Acid

Intake Manifold Gaskets

What will you be doing to get above 14 psi?

What will you be doing to get above 14 psi?

Nothing I hope, but they seem to provide better sealing property's hence why someone is selling them, and that's good enough for me, you only need a poor seal and you will be leaking boost, and once designed and cut, I will be able to provide others rather than the merc use once items, I am sure some persons will be intrested in these and some of the other items I am working on, that I am sure will assist others.

I will be having a pulley and another remap soon, then I don't mind seeing how my car with pulley and tune only fair against some of the higher modded cars at SRR dyno.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, Paul (Savman) mentioned in his post to be careful not to break the plastic tabs on the injectors when they come out and get put back in. A few of mine did break when PCS has my charger out! What would the result be of fitting the injectors back in with out them???

Little Video

I removed and refreshed the supercharger gaskets last month after reading this thread. I found it really useful so thanks to all that posted!

Whilst doing it, I thought I'd throw a quick video together for anyone that might find it useful as I found it quite hard to picture everything that needed doing. I had a friend who's also Mercedes Tech help out with the lifting! ha

The car now runs and pulls much better! It feels like it did back in April when I left MSL spinning up the rears down Armoury road!!! :cool:

Big thanks to Paul at Eurocharged for some pointers.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOwUBhEVm4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom