Buying an ML63 - please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richbell20

Car
Bmw 335d
Hi everyone,

I recently sold a 57 plate bmw 335d after constant nagging from my wife that it was too small and not practical for our daughter etc.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy an ML63 and I'm planning in viewing all 3 of the below in the next 2 days. Id really appreciate some advice on what to look out for, whether mileage is a big issue in these. My budget is around 18k, although could probably stretch to 20k if I had to.

If I bought any I'm also looking for a recommended Indy garage that can perform a full checkup. I'm based in stratford upon Avon.

Many thanks in advance!

Mercedes-Benz M Class ML63 5dr Tip Auto 6.2 FMSH TOP OF THE RANGE SUPERB!

Mercedes-Benz M Class ML63 5dr Tip Auto 6.2

Mercedes-Benz M Class ML63 5dr Tip Auto 6.2 TAXED & TESTED FSH F-LOADED

Last edited:
Try Mercland in Nuneaton or MSL in Birmingham if you want and independent eye cast over your prospective purchase.

My advice would be to buy with less than 60,000 miles and budget £1200 for a Mercedes. Tier 1 warranty. If the mileage is higher, then budget £2400.

They're great cars, choose well and it's every car you ever need.

I've had mine for 18 months now and its been and still is a great car... fast and practical... I've had no issues whatsoever until this weekend when i pulled the handbrake handle and it came out in my hand.... a common issue apparently but simple... the cable pops off the handle...
Get the best spec possible, Mine is fully loaded without rear entertainment which doesnt bother me...

Richard is selling his facelifted W164 ML63 which is fully loaded.

It is immaculate. Why dont you drop him a PM?

I've had two ML63s. They are a phenomenal car. The only substantive downside when used as an everyday motor is the fuel consumption.

Everything else that is good and bad about the car falls within a debatable margin.

I have averaged 14.7mpg over 15k miles and when on the flat at 57mph for 30 miles I can get no better than 21mpg.

So on top of the purchase price (£20k), on the road costs (£1.5k), maintenance and servicing costs (£1.5k); for 12k miles pa I'd add £5k into the budget.

Total £28k.

That excludes tyres and significant maintenance but does include a phenomenal amount of fun!!!!

Wish I could help more constructively other than to say I am deep awe of your man negotiations....

I suspect that your wife may not fully expect the increased spend on fuel between a 335D and an ML63:thumb:

I wish mine was a ML63..... But only 5% of the time...

Last week I was along side a new shape M3 at the lights, wet roads and raining.....

Light changed and I planted my boot to the floor as diesel power puffed away and the barge moved forward. Too be fair I was probably doing 50 mph before the M3 caught up and screamed past....way past the limit for the road but obviously he had to prove it was quicker :)

Now the 63 would have been fun.

However having come from a car that did 35 - 40 mpg and I'm sure your 335d on a run did, the ML will like a drink. Mine is averaging 24mpg (mix of a roads and school drops off don't help) I dread to think what the 63 must be? maybe 15mpg? doing the same runs?

Also be sure you factor in additional parts? I've no idea with the ML63 but the E63 has fancy brakes that I have heard on this forum are well into 4 figures... a big truck is going to need them sooner rather than later on 60K plus?

Obviously post some pics if you buy it and I'm sure it would be great fun. If I could stomach the fuel / running costs I would have one as others have said its one car does all sort of thing.

Don't get be wrong buying it up front is the easy bit but I almost watch the fuel go down and at £135 to fill up that gets you every time your at the pump.

Or you could get an ML420 with twin turbocharged, 900Nm V8 diesel engine and still have 25-35 mpg out of it.

^ In all honesty I would probably do that.....

too be fair I don't miss the performance of other quicker cars I've had now we have the ML... as the wife / kids soon put a stop to any of that.....

I would rather see 35mpg these days than 25 let alone 15.....

Just going to find my slippers and pipe :)

Or you could get an ML420 with twin turbocharged, 900Nm V8 diesel engine and still have 25-35 mpg out of it.

Are you kidding............I only average 30mpg on a run in my ML320 diesel! Around town I get about 20-23mpg.

David

^ I guess the bigger engine / power actually helps

One of the reasons I may Brabus D6 mine, after I did that to my E320cdi I actually got more mpg....

like you I'm getting between 23 and 30 currently.

I thought the 420 CDI was about 720nm?

My 330bhp V8 TDI Q7 has 760 Nm of torque, is yours remapped Alex?

Are you kidding............I only average 30mpg on a run in my ML320 diesel! Around town I get about 20-23mpg.

David

No, not at all. I often see 33-35 miles on a motorway, 24.9-25 around town. This is if we were to believe the trip computer of course. Chip helps achieve better mpg. Mine is chipped with Kleemann.

I thought the 420 CDI was about 720nm?

My 330bhp V8 TDI Q7 has 760 Nm of torque, is yours remapped Alex?

Sorry, I should have clarified that that figure was for a chipped engine. However during my trip to Kleemann in Denmark, I have witnessed a remapped + chipped 420 engine in a E-Class that was producing 1000Nm+ of torque:

[YOUTUBE]YkkB2hm3fS0[/YOUTUBE]

Hey, newbie here, I am also about to the the plunge and buy a ML63, I know the car, I borrowed it for a trip to Oban from leeds, Averaged 20mpg!

Hey, newbie here, I am also about to the the plunge and buy a ML63, I know the car, I borrowed it for a trip to Oban from leeds, Averaged 20mpg!

Nice one, a great car for long distance drives - beautiful final few miles into Oban too :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom