Buying used car with known fault declared by the selling trader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Hello fellow Merc forumites,

A random and possibly stupid question from me.

I've seen a car I fancy on Autotrader, but it is listed in the detailed description as having a hot starting issue. Cold no problem. Full main dealer service history. 2011 2 liter diesel.

I'm suspecting it's most likely worn starter, and least likely old battery, resulting in low cranking speed, and therefore when hot it doesn't start on 'cold start' fuelling.

Anyway, technical issues aside, what's the impact of this on the 14/30 day no quibble consumer right of return or trade seller to rectify faults within 6 months?

I'm thinking what if I purchased the car, quickly fitted a new starter once home (£120) and it didn't cure it, could I then take the car back a couple of days later and reject it?

I'm obviously asking because it's a bit cheaper (only £1k) less than an allegedly fault free example. It's a nicer colour too IMO (metallic grey instead of the no-fault silvery-gold example). Car for Mrs Greedy.

The obvious answer is save yourself the headache and don't go near it. It's not too far away, about an hour, and beggars can't be choosers at my end of the market.

If the trader could fix it for £120 then sell it for £1000 more, he almost certainly would. Draw your own conclusions...

You could of course go and see it, and know exactly what the hot starting symptom is. If it just churns over and over, it's not the (easy and cheap) starter motor. It's very unlikely to be the battery.

If the dealer openly admits to a problem then you have no redress in law regarding that problem if you buy it. You have been fully informed of it.

Can you take a code reader with you and scan for faults?I very much doubt that it is battery related.

The money back no quibble guarantee does NOT apply to the fault. You buy the car with the fault and its cheaper BECAUSE of the fault.

If it's the issue I think it is, I could unplug the temp sensor and see it is starts on default fuelling parameters. That basically rules the starting issue in or out.

I'm not sure if my iCarsoft will pick up cranking RPM in live data, which I suspect is the issue.

But again, tech issue aside, it was the reject the car after a day or so question I was interested in.

Can this rejection be for any reason, or is it only if you believe it was mis-sold?

Is it me or is there something morally wrong with the OPs approach (sorry)

Traders often get a bad rep, but here one is being seemingly open and honest about a known issue.

Not sure if I’d be happy with a DIY’er messing about with a car sold under these circumstances with the idea of returning it if their efforts didn’t work out.

Sorry but this sort of thing annoys me at times, it’s simply not on.

I doubt it would be a starter motor, battery or temp sensor btw.

I think the seller can’t find what the fault is , or they do know and it’s expensive to fix .
I am guessing , but if it’s advertised honestly with a description of the fault , you cannot reject the car for that fault .

As said earlier if it was a simple (cheap) fix the supplying dealer would of sorted it out ,
It will be an expensive fix hence the dealer has mentioned it so there will be NO comeback on the issue

Is it me or is there something morally wrong with the OPs approach (sorry)
No need to apologise, that's one of the reasons I've posted the question, to get a varied input from the collective.

I'll give them a call to sound out why it's not been fixed, and offer them the grand extra if they fix the fault. I'd rather pay the equivalent price for the same car nearer, and in my preferred colour.

There’s always the possibility that’s it’s an old p/x type car and they just want to clear it, not interested in spending time/money on it (it’s twelve years old and diesel)

Someone who’s handy with the spanners might want to take a punt and possibly get a bargain, or as said already - could be a more expensive fix.

Personally I wouldn’t think it’s worth the hassle unless it’s some unicorn type car. I’m always a little suspicious of used cars anyway - ie why did the last owner get rid of it? Maybe a bit of a lemon, perhaps the hot start problem isn’t the only issue. Just my thoughts :)

I’ve bought cars like this previously and just signed a “trade sale, no warranty implied” declaration.

There’s always the possibility that’s it’s an old p/x type car and they just want to clear it, not interested in spending time/money on it (it’s twelve years old and diesel)

Someone who’s handy with the spanners might want to take a punt and possibly get a bargain, or as said already - could be a more expensive fix.

My thoughts were exactly this.

If it's deffo 1 (px just wanting shot). then that's fine and I would be more inclined to buy the risk.

If it's 2 (dealer looked at it but now knows it's well in excess of £1k to fix), taking the moral high ground as a buyer could be very painful. In fact, concealing this info is pretty immoral.

Post some details of the car reg etc
Non-Merc, sorry. Consider myself shamed.
No reg.

2.0TDI VAG are known for hot start issues with sticky starter.
But could be something else of course. Battery. Relays. Modules.

I would suggest that your remote diagnosis skills are way off the mark - a hot start problem is unlikely to be a starter motor or battery fault.
The car may already have been passed around in the trade with at least one person trying the easy fixes (inc the previous owner)
When was the car last taxed? If months ago you've got your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom