Bye Bye little taxi.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
It's been an interesting few years, and we've had our ups and downs, but I really grew to love this car.

There are threads elsewhere on what it's had done to it in my tenure, not all positive, so I won't repeat them here, suffice to say that I've done over 24,000 miles in it in various stages of tune and loved nearly every one of them.

I bought it as an ex demonstrator in January 2014 from MB Harrogate after the sales person brought it round to my house. I instantly fell in love with it, mainly due to the colour scheme and interior. It also helped that it had a list of options longer than my arm. A part exchanged figure was agreed on the XF-R I owned at the time and that was it really, deal done. The pick up was a bit of a let down as the car had no fuel in it whatsoever, and I was pointed towwards the petrol station next door. Also a damaged alloy which I didn't spot until later (parked by a kerb on collection) but at least the dealership got it sorted for me. The front splitter was also missing, again not spotted until I parked it next to another model though this was also eventually replaced. There were also a couple of bits and pieces which should have been spotted on a proper PDI, though these were eventually sorted out. This just seemed a very poor service from a prestige dealership, and somewhat soured the buying experience.

Bad bits over I decided to just enjoy the car, and what a lovely car to drive. Effortless power in something which drove like a dream around towns and in busy situations, yet could become a monster when circumstances permitted. I was going to leave things as they were and keep it pretty much standard, though decided a limited slip differential could only help with the poor traction, so that was the first modification. I then went on to do several other mods, some good, some pretty bad really but, as nobody in the UK had touched one of these at this time, there was a fair bit of trial and error involved. The car is currently running at around 860bhp with just short of 1,000lb/ft of torque and, whilst being a bit of an animal when provoked, can still be driven sensibly in normal situations which was exactly what I had aimed for from the start. A big thanks must go out to Acid at MSL for putting up with all my whining, Anthony at Weistec for answering all my questions and more, Jerry at Eurocharged for helping with the mapping and last, but in no way least, John at Big Fish Tuning for smoothing everything out.

The car hasn't been advertised for sale as my target market already knew it well and what has been done to it, though once I mentioned that I was thinking of selling it, I had a lot of response pretty instantly. There were obviously one or two lowball offers but these were ignored and the right person for it soon appeared. I can liken my sentiments to re-homing a cat really, in that it had to go to someone who would look after it and not just bling it up or abuse it. I know that this is a bit sad, and "it's only a car" but it was treated by me with care and respect and I wanted the same for it elsewhere. Some on here will know the gentleman in question but I don't feel it's my place to state who it is yet, though I'm sure he'll let you all know eventually.

It will be replaced in a couple of weeks with something nice and sedate which has already been ordered and had a deposit left on it. I'll be part exchanging my Range Rover for this so in reality I'm replacing two cars with one daily driver. I may post a thread up on this new one when I pick it up if I decide it's worth it. The 190E Cosworth will be staying and will be slowly improved over the Winter, mainly cosmetically though there are one or two little bits and pieces which need a dose of looking at.

Fantastic write up, great owner and forum contributor and stunning car!

The new owner will definitely "cherish" this car and ensure it maintains its status as the "daddy" of the bi-turbos.

Hope you'll be staying around Dave and keep giving your valuable advice and experience of these cars.

Jules

What did you have done in the end to reach those power goals? im assuming bigger turbo's and a gearbox upgrade of sorts?

What did you have done in the end to reach those power goals? im assuming bigger turbo's and a gearbox upgrade of sorts?

Yes, and yes. Weistec w3 turbos and bullet proof transmission. The w4 turbo which is currently being marketed was in the development stages at the time, and not doing to well, so the w3 seemed a sensible way to go.

Great post, except not everyone knows what model it was. Wouldn't it be more useful to add model name, so the post could come up in search?

Ah sorry, forgot that bit, though most knew the car anyway.

2013 Weistec modified E63 or, as it was affectionately referred to, the noisy taxi. :)

Yes, and yes. Weistec w3 turbos and bullet proof transmission. The w4 turbo which is currently being marketed was in the development stages at the time, and not doing to well, so the w3 seemed a sensible way to go.

Who did the trans for you Dave? i'm hitting up John From BigFish this week so if he knows all the info then i'll just talk to him!
Or Drop me a PM!

Interested to go the same way myself in the future, i've sorted brakes.... wheels next then onto more power.

John at Big Fish knows my (ex) car very well. ;)

Wow! Thought you'd have this for many years to come, with it being such a unique and extreme build. Does the replacement happen to carry a Mercedes badge on it also?

John at Big Fish knows my (ex) car very well. ;)

Ok i'll speak to John! thanks for all your help, could you drop me a PM with your number/email address on just incase your not active too much on here and i ever have questions about what you did etc!

Dave, can I then have your new car keys in case you decide to... you know... not actively drive it?

:D

I won't be going anywhere guys, I still have one MB in the garage, albeit a bit older and not too quick, though it can still pick it's feet up if it has to. :)

The one which has just gone will be replaced by another Mercedes, though I'm holding off saying what until it actually gets here. Deposit has been paid but I need to be in possession before I confirm exactly what it is.

Alex: -

That'll be a NO then. :D :D :D

Not sad Dave, that's exactly the way I felt when I sold the CL55. It went to a enthusiast who appreciated the way I looked the CL.

The new car, something nice and comfortable on the lines of the Range Rover maybe ?

Glad it went well today and look forward to seeing the new chariot

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

As the (now confirmed) last person to travel in the car with Dave I can say what an absolute beast!!:thumb::thumb:

I have an idea what the new one is...but not sayin' nuffink.

Well, as I've been asked both on here and several other places, I may as well admit to what the new one will be. I think that Peter was hinting at the GLE63 which was most definitely in the loop at one stage. I may have mentioned this to him the last time we met?

I did look long and hard at them and, whilst appreciating the technology and engineering compared to the ML63, it's still a few year old design, basically a face-lifted ML and must be due an overhaul soon.

After deliberating on several others, including the S Class coupé, I eventually decided on a W213 E63s. Ex main dealer demo and with loads of options ticked. 2,800 miles on it but I can't pick it up till the end of the month as MB have to own it for 90 days before they can release it, though they have confirmed that it won't get any more miles on it now since I put a deposit down.

I'll do a write up on it when I pick it up, though at least a couple of weeks off yet.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom