C220 CDI Refuses to start...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
Im looking for some advice please. Car is a W204 C220 2008. Yesterday everything was ok.

At 5pm last night I went to drive home and the car would not start. The headlights came on, mirrors folded out, door unlocked and the speedo dial lit up with the mileage etc - but nothing else works.

The car does not crank over and all I can hear is a clicking sound behind the dash. My first thought was a battery problem so a local garage changed the battery but no joy. He checked the fuses and all ok. Another local garage has a diagnostic machine and he's going to try this tomorrow to see if it will give him info on the issue, but has anyone else suffered this issue? Ive tried both keys, still nothing.

Im sure it must be an electrical issue but my nearest MB dealer is 100 miles away and they have not been very helpful so far in that all they have advised is to get it to them. If all else fails I have RAC cover and they can get it to the dealer but I wondered if anyone else had seen the same issue and what the solution was.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Your garage need to find out is the starting now allowed, and command going to relay/starter. Starter should also be tested if it turns by feeding +12V directly, It wouldn't be first car which starter motor fails out of blue.

Would that be the cause of the other electrical issues though? Nothing else works in the car - windows, dash lights, seats etc.

Oh I forgot to mention bad grounding (battery leads and ground strap between engine block and body). If system takes ground from wrong place, all weird stuff happens. Engine fan is not fully speed when you put key in slot? What is voltage reading on battery poles, on engine bay?

If battery died for some reason, some modules may have been lost their configuration too, and thus not working. Star would be best tool for diagnose in that case. Hope reason is more simple and your garage founds it... towing 100 miles sounds no good.

Sounds like the electronic steering lock has failed.
Try inserting the key in and out quickly whilst banging the steering off the lock

Sounds like the electronic steering lock has failed.
Try inserting the key in and out quickly whilst banging the steering off the lock

Correct. Steering lock module has failed according to dealer. £300 for the part, 3 hours labour and coding means a bill of £895.

Wow
That's almost double what we charge!!!!!!!

And you might want to ask your dealer to print you off the book time from asra
It's not 3 hours

Pleasantly surprised, got my car back today after having a new steering lock put on and a bill of under £400. According to the dealer their initial estimate included a key that they needed from MB, but they dont charge the customer so that was good news. They also replaced the SRS module for free as it was a recall, so I was happy...........but

Driving back home up the A9 in the dark and after a few miles noticed the steering wheel is at 11 oclock, so assuming they had to remove it to do the steering lock, it not back on straight. The centre console lid has had the hinge broken off, presumaby so they could replace the SRS part and the illuminated sill on the passenger side has had the blue light strip damaged. So it has more wrong now than when it got to the dealer. Needess to say the Service Manager will be getting a call tomorrow. Not Happy.

Sounds minor but check your indicators, if it's not at the right angle certain directions won't stick on/stay indicating/automatically come off as the wheel is set in the wrong position

If that makes sense! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom