C220d W205 Vibration 65-75 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C320

Car
W205 (220d), W213 (350d), and W177 (250e)
I purchased one with 43k miles on it.
Test drive went well but did not go on motorway until drive home.
There is an infrequent vibration in the steering and seat at motorway speeds.
The car is a 2019 model.
Full MB service history.
Trader provided a 3 month warranty. Which will obviously be put to the test.

Bonnet open. Stationary. Engine on. No excessive movement in engine. Don’t think it is motor mounts. Took it for alignment but everything fine. Wheels were balanced on the day of purchase. I was watching that and don’t think the wheels are suspect. New Road-X tyres on all 4 corners.

Not sure what else to consider.
All thoughts welcome.

Look at the reviews for Road X tyres.....might be your issue.

Look at the reviews for Road X tyres.....might be your issue.
Fair enough. I want run on flats anyway so they will be on flee-bay soon. Hopefully, arrive in the next week or so and will take it from there.

Interesting reading.

The tyres improved things a great deal. However, my tyre guy (known him for years so just does swaps for beer tokens) noticed a lot of play in the o/s/f wheel. He suspects a worn ball joint. Thinks that might be behind the vibration. Today on a low speed sharp turn in a tight underground car park, I heard a clunk. I was able to recreate it a few times. Whilst I am down there.. I will check tie rods, control arms etc. See what the trader says. Seems premature for that kind of damage but no telling what kind of life the car had before even if MOT history was clean. Will hopefully return soon with an update.

Interesting reading.
I read the BMW review. Read like it was describing my experience!!

Lower control arm failure on my CLK caused similar vibration which became more pronounced un heavyish braking.

Front suspension arm wear on W205's is very common, but that mileage seems quite low for issues to arise (although given the state of our roads.....). May be worth looking at the current MOT results and seeing if any advisories were raised on the front suspension.

Update for the forum. Rejected the car. Will never know what it was. Trader replaced a tie rod but it still wondered to the left after an alignment. I was not satisfied with the outcome.

Did it stop the vibration though?

It did not have the desired outcome. I think there was some misting on the shock absorber so wonder if it was that.

OK....I was just thinking that if the new tie rod cured the vibration the pulling could just be a bad (or not done at all!) wheel alignment after the job.

Front suspension arm wear on W205's is very common, but that mileage seems quite low for issues to arise (although given the state of our roads.....). May be worth looking at the current MOT results and seeing if any advisories were raised on the front suspension.
It's not low mileage for it to occur.

I have had 3 changed. One at 40k and two at 48k all under warranty.

The replacement of the initial replaced one failed within 1 year.

It also doesn't cause vibration when they're gone. They just squeak like crazy

What happened to the new tyres ?
Swapped back and put them on wife’s E class. They can have their Road X rubbish back. Now chasing a low speed pop noise on the E class. Cars been doing my head lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom