Caliper Change (with SBC) W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got new pins fitting kit from brakes international, didn't cost much One of them should have a rubber insert .

I'd dress up the carrier hole with rolled up emery cloth.

£15 .

View attachment 144997
I only had sandpaper down to 240. After your suggestion I've now got some emery cloth which should work very well. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll clean everything up further, build it back together and strip it apart again in a couple of days once my new slide pins arrive. The cleaned up ones should be absolutely fine until then and can't be any worse than completely stuck.

Good effort. I love doing these types of jobs (when I have access to a second car!).

Have you been able to price up a new caliper carrier by any chance? might* not be too expensive if one is available?
🤞

*😬
£300 from mercedes

Haven't found one anywhere else. Plenty of used on ebay which typically come with the caliper too - around £20-£40

Screenshot_20230814-114344.png
Bosch brake pins for the SBC systems .

Last edited:
View attachment 145022
Bosch brake pins for the SBC systems .
Thanks. I bought these earlier..

Screenshot_20230814_121814.jpg

I'm not sure what the difference is, but they are both suitable for Bosch calipers and these are closest in design (seal & top section) to the original.

I'm not sure why so many replacements have the longer seal and very skinny hex heads that you have to grip with a adjustable wrench instead of 17mm spanner like the original fitment

I bought some a few weeks ago for my S211. I was confused as the two seemed to both say for Bosch caliper, 2005 vehicles. I checked with them and it was the more expensive ones I needed. I hadn't taken the brakes at that point to compare.
My order from frentech arrived next day.

Thanks. I bought these earlier..

View attachment 145023

I'm not sure what the difference is, but they are both suitable for Bosch calipers and these are closest in design (seal & top section) to the original.

I'm not sure why so many replacements have the longer seal and very skinny hex heads that you have to grip with a adjustable wrench instead of 17mm spanner like the original fitment

Mine had the bigger rubber band not an o ring . Replace with what's on I guess ?

Update:

My car has been back on the road for a couple of weeks now and I'm glad to report no further issues with the brakes / SBC or otherwise.

I ended up getting a second hand caliper bracket from ebay that was in much better shape with no pitting or rust in the slide pin holes. I also fitted new slide pins (with the small rubber o ring) as this is what came as standard.

I rebuilt my front right caliper but once I tore it down I don't think that was the issue after all, as there wasn't any signs of damage to the piston or seal.

The piston and caliper once cleaned up were in perfect condition and I always like to repair original parts if possible as the quality is generally better.

I'm now going to book in for all 4 brake pipes & hoses changed alongside a fluid change.

Thanks for all help, suggestions and confidence boosters!

Pics to follow

IMG_20230901_215252.jpg
The brake hoses are extremely tough and I wasn't sure one was going to do anything, so tried two?

IMG_20230901_215457.jpg
I also used a piece of plastic trapped underneath the filler cap to prevent fluid leaking when removing caliper. Every little helps I suppose

IMG_20230901_215644.jpg

Finally used the caliper bleed nipple cover on the brake hose to stop any further drops. Overkill? Maybe

IMG_20230901_215838.jpg
Caliper to be rebuilt (before)
IMG_20230901_215937.jpg
Not bad condition at all (before)
IMG_20230901_215953.jpg
A bit grubby but nothing a good cleaning won't sort (before)

IMG_20230901_220020.jpgCaliper (before refurb)

IMG_20230901_220051.jpg
Caliper (Before refurb)

IMG_20230901_220900.jpg
Caliper cleaned with new inner seal awaiting piston (after)

IMG_20230901_220151.jpg
Piston came up great! (after)

IMG_20230901_220216.jpg
All ready to be refitted (after)

IMG_20230901_220407.jpg

Didn't take any pictures of the front put back together... But here's one of the rear discs I fitted. ATE Powerdisc and ceramic pads all round.

Car passed it's MOT with no issues and almost broke the brake testing machine so I'm confident things are working as they should.

Nice job 👍 , but you did let yourself down a little bit by not replacing the rear 'dust' shields when you had it all in bit's . especially as they are crucial to handbrake springs staying in place . They can (usually) be fitted without hub removal by cutting them in just the right place. and new plates are cheap.

I hate the bloody things , I know why they are not stamped out of stainless sheet steel...cost + the fact that they only have to last the warranty period of the car.

But on many MB the rears are an integral part of the parking brake system because they hold the brake shoe in via this spring.

+1 :thumb: For Brakesinternational , they came through for me when Mercedes Benz main dealers were telling me " Computer says no !"

cut seal.jpg plate rot.jpg

Nice job 👍 , but you did let yourself down a little bit by not replacing the rear 'dust' shields when you had it all in bit's . especially as they are crucial to handbrake springs staying in place . They can (usually) be fitted without hub removal by cutting them in just the right place. and new plates are cheap.

I hate the bloody things , I know why they are not stamped out of stainless sheet steel...cost + the fact that they only have to last the warranty period of the car.

But on many MB the rears are an integral part of the parking brake system because they hold the brake shoe in via this spring.

+1 :thumb: For Brakesinternational , they came through for me when Mercedes Benz main dealers were telling me " Computer says no !"

View attachment 146133 View attachment 146134
Good point, it would've been prime opportunity.

Didn't even factor those in, but they were in pretty good shape compared to the fronts which rot out around the mounting holes alot sooner.

They get can get replaced alongside rear wheel bearings / abs rings if the need arises

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom