CL W215 Central Locking / Headrest not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasohal

Car
S320 E500 E55
Hi Folks,

Firstly , best wishes for the new year !!!

Second - merc woes !!

Today, my central locking has decided not to work .. I need to get in via holding the unlock button so that the windows go down and reach in for the handle...

I have started the car and tried using the central locking switch on the dash ( the red light does not come on ) and this does not work either.

Incidentally I tried the headrests drop down feature - even this does not work.

Lastly the self closing door/boot system is not working either.

My gut feeling is that a fuse/relay which sends power to the vacuum pump is blown ??

I have looked in the toolkit for a fuse map ?? but there is not one.

Does anyone have an idea about fuse / relay locations on a 2001 CL500 ??

Any help appreciated as always

Cheers

Last edited:
Can't help with specific fuses/relays I am afraid - had a really good look on t'internet a while back and camp up blank so if you do find one I would appreciate a link :)

I assume you know the locations of the fuse box behind the drivers seat and a fuse & relay box in the engine compartment.

this MAY help, but be careful, everything I hear about the vacume systems is surrounded by £££ signs :(

(Off Topic but found while searching - you can find some really interesting stuff if you look hard enough! http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/V60i Documents/MB Phone Manual v4.6.pdf - although I don't understand much of this :()

Last edited:
jasohal said:
Hi Folks,

Firstly , best wishes for the new year !!!

Second - merc woes !!

Today, my central locking has decided not to work .. I need to get in via holding the unlock button so that the windows go down and reach in for the handle...

I have started the car and tried using the central locking switch on the dash ( the red light does not come on ) and this does not work either.

Incidentally I tried the headrests drop down feature - even this does not work.

Lastly the self closing door/boot system is not working either.

My gut feeling is that a fuse/relay which sends power to the vacuum pump is blown ??

I have looked in the toolkit for a fuse map ?? but there is not one.

Does anyone have an idea about fuse / relay locations on a 2001 CL500 ??

Any help appreciated as always

Cheers

Sounds like the vacuum system is down. Why dont you just check all of the fuses.

Thanks guys for your replies ....

I had checked all the fuses prior to writing my post last night as this would be normally the first port of call. All fuses were fine.

Problem was that my car was missing the fuse/relay map normally located in the toolkit on top of spare wheel.

Today, I managed to check my uncle's S500 and he had the map.

Part number for fuse/relay map is A000 545 15 00 ( for Mercedes W/V 220, C215 )

Looking through this chart I checked for the rear headrests, power locking, trunk lid release. Although there were several fuses related to each of these three circuits one was common f62.

This is a 20A fuse located under the rear passenger seat fuse box.

Although this fuse was ok, I removed it for 2 mins and refitted it.

All circuits now work fine !!!!

I read somewhere that if the car experiences very cold weather sometimes the moisture in the air freezes in the pneumatic vacuum pump system and then the system goes into shutdown mode. What I have done by removing the fuse for a few minuites is basically resetting the ECU which controls this pump.

Hopefully this will not repeat - if it does I will have the problem diagnosed by an independant.

result !!

Glad its all sorted - had another look for a fuse map in my toolkit - definitely not there :( - lets hope its never needed! Thanks for the part no. just in case though.

Miro - are there any fuses that you know of that would cause more trouble if they were removed - i.e. the system would need a MB reset if the fuse was pulled?

jasohal said:
Thanks guys for your replies ....

I had checked all the fuses prior to writing my post last night as this would be normally the first port of call. All fuses were fine.

Problem was that my car was missing the fuse/relay map normally located in the toolkit on top of spare wheel.

Today, I managed to check my uncle's S500 and he had the map.

Part number for fuse/relay map is A000 545 15 00 ( for Mercedes W/V 220, C215 )

Looking through this chart I checked for the rear headrests, power locking, trunk lid release. Although there were several fuses related to each of these three circuits one was common f62.

This is a 20A fuse located under the rear passenger seat fuse box.

Although this fuse was ok, I removed it for 2 mins and refitted it.

All circuits now work fine !!!!

I read somewhere that if the car experiences very cold weather sometimes the moisture in the air freezes in the pneumatic vacuum pump system and then the system goes into shutdown mode. What I have done by removing the fuse for a few minuites is basically resetting the ECU which controls this pump.

Hopefully this will not repeat - if it does I will have the problem diagnosed by an independant.

result !!

This can be an indication of the PSE module going South. A reset can be effective for a while but then the problem may come back. If it does you probably need a new module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom