CL65 AMG - madness or what?/

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bieldside

Car
Merc SL65 , Porsche 991.2 Targa 4s , Porsche 9934s, S65 Cabriolet
I have been pondering a CL63 having abandoned the idea of an E63AMG . Live in London and E Class MBs are everywhere ...

So CL65 pops up on my radar screen and there is one in the MB network (subject of a previous post)

Very rare care and after a test drive yesterday I can see why it cost £170,000 new !!

But its now a 2008 car and the CL63 facelift is as fast and clearly a fresher image - but does not have the cache

Any help welcomed !!

Bit powerful for inner London innit?:D

Seriously, fantastic car with almost too much torque. I'd be wary of resale values considering they are a hard car to sell.
Personally I'd take a newer CL63 over the 65, but that's only me:dk:

Cl65

That's my big worry when I decide to sell

It will come with a two year warranty but that may be irrelevant

I suppose I need to expect a £10,000 drop from the day I buy it !

So £47,000 becomes £37,000 then after 2 years £30,000, if even that much

Niche car and perhaps a white elephant at the same time

Niche car and perhaps a white elephant at the same time

Exactly. Another thing to take into the equation is what will the fuel price situation be come resale?
I remember only two years ago buying my E55 and being laughed at for buying a gas guzzling V8 with fuel prices spiralling and V8 car values plummeting.

Well the laugh is on them, fortunately for me, as V8 prices are rising (the E55 is anyway) so I could recoup my outlay and some if I sold now.

Whatever you do however, its a nice situation to be in.:D
Wish you well with your final decision.

The CL65 is the best Mercedes you can buy for the money, I owned a CL55 and loved it but I need five seats.

I'd definitely have one as a toy though, in the blink of an eye.

Cl65

Well thankfully the petrol costs dont worry me that much

I have an SL500 that is about 12 mpg around town but 25mpg out on the M25

The CL65 is indeed stunning - just can't help thinking of the negatives so need to think of the positives

If its a keeper type car then the resale value is not that relevant

Each to their own but I can't see the point myself. You already have an SL500 which offers all the performance you can use. The 65 is great for Vmax events but other than that you are paying 47k for a 7 yr old Merc. If the money can be written off in the beginning then there are other cars of this type I'd find much more exciting.

Cl65

I know but I would sell the SL500

I am very lucky to have a 911 GT3 for excitement so the CL65 is a complete contrast

And out and out luxury.

See, I am now defending myself in favour of the CL65

In all senses it is a mad car to buy and only sensible if its one to keep and treasure (well maybe!)

Buy Car, Enjoy.....Worry about money later.

Cl65

Buy Car, Enjoy.....Worry about money later.

I knew you would say that AND you have had the pleasure of driving the car !

May well go that route ......

Definitely keep the warranty going if you hang on to the car.

'04-'06 W215 CL65's are around £20k for a decent one so say you drop £20k in 3 years that what? £550 a month in depreciation for one of the best, most powerful, most luxurious cars on the road?

As a professor of man maths, I would say that it's a bargain relatively speaking.

Quite simply if one can, it would be rude not to.

I have the same engine in my car (albeit an older model). Just thinking about driving it makes my heart throb. It is beyond words. It is a beast of an engine. Re-mapped, and your looking at over 700hp. Just looking at the engine is enough to make my knees go week. It's a work of art. You will be a man god, for all car enthusiasts. It is a niche car, which can very easily go un-noticed by most people. But when someone sees you in it that knows what it is, you will get the nod of appreciation. That nod is all I need sometimes to remind me that I am driving something very special.

Would I choose it over the newer CL63? Not sure. It's a tough decision. The 5.5 bi-turbo CL63 (that replaced the 6.2) is nearly as powerful. And again with a re-map you are looking at well over 600hp, maybe even closer to 700hp. Which is quicker than the standard CL65. For re-sale value the CL63 will hold better I believe, as most people are more familiar with it and aren't as nervous around it.

I would take a long look at the spec as well. Most CL65's have an awesome spec. Some however are missing some things like night vision. Make sure which ever way you go you are getting every option.

Hope that helps! :)

Forgot to add......if you do decide to go for the CL65, try and find out if the coil packs have been replaced since new. They are £1200 EACH, and that does not include fitting. When one goes wrong, the other one will generally go wrong too, so you are looking at £2400. Mine packed up within the 1st 2 weeks of owning it. Luckily the dealer replaced (phew) :)

I don't know why, given the circumstances and opportunity, you are trying to rationalise the purchase; if you have the means and desire, buy it! How many times in years to come will you rue not taking the bull by the horns? Regret is a powerful thing.

How's that for man logic?

Just do it!
One of the best cars in the world IMHO :thumb:

Matt

Get er' bought !!

Bo coincidence I took a drive down to Merc Belfast last night and was vry taken by the silver CL500 they had on the forecourt. Sexy cars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom