clk 270cdi cut out&wont start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alf1956

Car
clk270 55 plate diesel
Hello forum memebers
I have a 55 plate clk 270cdi. i went out to start it earlier&it fired up&then just cut out&is now turning over but wont fire up, i have plenty of fuel in,i have tried my spare key in case it was something to do with the imobliser&now i am stuck as what to try next has anybody got any advice please?

I had something similar a little while ago in traffic on the M4. It was the little fuel pipe popping off at the very front of the engine. Can you smell diesel?

no power to the fuel pump in the boot which may point to a blown fuse does anybody know where the fuse is for the fuel pump in the boot please ?

AA man is here&tells me that its the earth for the fuel pump relay but its something he cant do so he advised me to try to find out where the earth is for the fuel pump relay is ? anybody that can tell me please?

no power to the fuel pump in the boot which may point to a blown fuse does anybody know where the fuse is for the fuel pump in the boot please ?

AA man is here&tells me that its the earth for the fuel pump relay but its something he cant do so he advised me to try to find out where the earth is for the fuel pump relay is ? anybody that can tell me please?

Umm... in this model feed pump is mechanical, located in front of the cyl head...???
http://images.neoriginal.ru/index.p...208.gif&hash=7e3e49a1bac2f154ad8ef894014bcf3d

If the low pressure pump is on the way out they just draw fuel from one side of the tank and despite having fuel in the tank, conk out.

Are you 100% sure? AFAIK its CDI2 system, which is not primed system. Electric devices in the tank are level sensors.

It looks like a pump but is it filter instead?
http://images.neoriginal.ru/index.p...919.gif&hash=f00496ad897d8fe2c597e632feee7b0b
The AA man checked the fuel pump in the tank which is under the back seat&could get no power to the electrical connections there&spoke to mercedes technical support&they advised him how to bypass the relay&still there was no power so they told me it was the relay that wasnt getting an earth but i have no knowledge about these matters&i am totally dependent on advice from others

Do you have more than 1/2 tank fuel now?

I see where mersum1es is going here. Put another 10 liters in and try again, this will take the fuel level to over half a tank and negate the need for the fuel feed pump in the tank on the drivers side (UK) to run

You may have to crank it for ages to get it to pressurise the system.
Make sure you are somewhere you can charge the battery up again.
Also, best if car is either level or nose down as the fuel drains into the tank when pressure is lost.

i will go to the garage now & put some fuel in & give it a try as you never know & im open to all advice !

IIRC

Could be the "half a tank syndrome" ............... the saddle tank empties out on the right side leaving the left side full of fuel.

As suggested add fuel and it might start if it does the high pressure fuel pump is on the way out.

Last edited:
put 3 x 5 litres of diesel in&put the car on slightly downward facing ground but still no joy with it starting. i spoke to an auto electrician&he told me it would be the ecu a she had had the fault before but i am thinking that if the ECU had gone how did the AA man get all the information from the OBD plug to his laptop as my thinking is that if the ECU was caput it could not send data from the car to the laptop? am i correct in thinking that?

You DO have part number 29 (aux fuel pump) in your system, right? Try remove upper (if I recall right) pipe, and some tries to start... fuel should come (this is 'only' way to bleed CDI2 system, detaching any injector pipe would usually prevent fuel feed).

Keep going alf1956 you will get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom