CLS ACC Adaptive cruise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xant14

Car
ROVER 75, 2015 CLS350 Shooting Pigeons
Hi,
Still looking to buy one, missed out on a nice one at the auction with Drivers Assistant Pack because I was unsure what is what with ACC.

question,
What is the difference between,
Driver Assistant package
Collision Prevention Assist Plus,
Distronic and plus

I assume if I see the plastic badge it has some sort of ACC?

The lane assist looks neat too.. is that specific to a package?

cheers

I can't answer about the packages, but I can comment on the first version of distronic; it's the one thing I didn't really think about when I bought my CLK, but that I now love.

Essentially it's radar-controlled cruise control, which means you set a maximum speed and time (rather than distance) from the car in front. The system then keeps that gap, even when the traffic slows right down; for example on the motorway you may have the speed set to 70mph, but due to congestion you're only doing 30mph and distronic just slows you to match the traffic (to 30kmh ~20mph IIRC).
Since it's pinging the road with radar, it can also offer collision avoidance when you're not using cruise control. - A little red light comes on and a *ping* sounds if a car suddenly stops and you don't seem to be slowing.

I believe that distronic plus is a more advanced version of this system, and can bring the car to a complete halt to prevent a collision (whereas mine will get to ~20mph and let me know that I need to take over).

I'm not sure if it's the case with later models, but a solid Mercedes emblem on grille was a sign that distronic was installed; it protects the radar unit where and open badge wouldn't. - I suspect that if you've got distronic (plus), you've also got collision avoidance... and they're probably ordered by selecting the "assistance" pack. I had a look at the configurator for an A200d the other day, and that seemed to be the way it worked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply PobodY,
I have been looking on the Approved Used Mercedes site and ALL the facelift CLS Shooting Brakes are marked as 'Collision Prevention Assist Plus'!
On some of them it is clear there is no radar, probably a mistake there.
I am finding it hard to search for cars with radar, case of zooming into the photos.
I take it on your cruise stalk you have a twisty bit to set distance?
Regards, Rob

I sympathise as it's not easy getting your head around the functionality of the Driver Assistance elements and how they're packaged.

The first thing to mention is to forget about Collision Prevention Assist Plus as a differentiator. As you've worked out, that's standard kit on the facelift CLS. The next thing is that there are two packages that bundle together various Driver Assistance components:
  1. Lane Tracking Package
  2. Driving Assistance Package
The Lane Tracking Package is the "basic" option, which includes:
  • Blind Spot Assist: Gives a visible warning in the exterior mirrors if a vehicle is detected in a blind spot, and an audible warning if there's something in a blind spot and you indicate to move towards it
  • Lane Keeping Assist: Vibrates the steering wheel if it detects you drifting out of your lane
The Driving Assistance Package is the "full fat" option and includes:
  • Active Blind Spot Assist: Like Blind Spot Assist, but it adds a third stage after the audible warning by performing a single sided brake application to correct the course of the vehicle
  • Active Lane Keeping Assist: Like Lane Keeping Assist, but if the driver does not respond to the vibration of the steering wheel, the system attempts to keep the vehicle in its lane by performing a single-sided, course-correcting brake system intervention using the ESP
  • DISTRONIC PLUS: This is the radar operated cruise control as described above by PobodY. The core difference between Distronic and Distronic Plus is that the former will deploy a maximum of around 30% of possible braking power, while the latter will deploy up to 40%. The facelift CLS was only offered with Distronic Plus
The easiest giveaway that a CLS has the full Driving Assistance Package fitted is that the grill star is domed rather than open. You're also correct that the cruise stalk has a twisty bit on the end to set the following time.

I've learnt something new now too.

A great reply st13phil,
I see some people on here ask for a data card. Would this tell me the package installed if I was in doubt? Do I just need a reg number?
There is one I am going to see on Thursday, but the reg number is hidden on the advert, it definitely has the twisty bit.
Thanks again both.

If the car you're interested in is at a Main Dealer then ask them to email you the OASIS report. This details all the standard and optional kit on the car, plus various other information.

If it's not at a Main Dealer you will need the VIN number to get a copy of the data card which again details all the standard and optional kit on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom