CLS Shooting Brake...real life examples please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am waiting for spring when Merc release their new straight six petrols, I reckon this is a car that could really benefit from a nice direct injection straight six petrol.

I presume when they launch with the new E Class they will start to offer them on things like the CSL. I hope so anyway.

250 CDi is no longer available on facelift CLS, just 220 CDi and 350 CDi Bluetec.

I really like the facelift CLS SB, and the multi spoke wheels are lovely too.

when facelift CLS first launched, DTD was doing nearly £12k discount on CLS 350 CDi SB, now about £10k

Last edited:
Ref the new turbine wheels, I agree, they suit the car better than the 5 spoke AMGs

250CDI is still made, just not offered in UK market (you can even have it as a 4matic if LHD)

For petrol, V6 400, V8 500 and V8 63 are made, the 500 being the only one to recieve 9G transmission

264oyz9.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
I love my Shooting Brake, 250 in silver with grey, its quiet, comfortable and really suits our motoring. Had a Eclass estate before and although a great car not a patch on the CLS for refinement and internal/external style.
We often drive in Europe and its fine for the cruising speeds we are comfortable at, we average around 46 MPG on these trips about 40 at home with mixed driving.
The boot easily takes my boat bits and golf clubs and I have not missed the extra space of the Eclass, mind you the size of the car driving around the lanes of Cornwall on a recent break made me very nervous.

Still a unique car to see on the roads.

MB Brent said:
Hi I love my Shooting Brake, 250 in silver with grey, its quiet, comfortable and really suits our motoring. Had a Eclass estate before and although a great car not a patch on the CLS for refinement and internal/external style. We often drive in Europe and its fine for the cruising speeds we are comfortable at, we average around 46 MPG on these trips about 40 at home with mixed driving. The boot easily takes my boat bits and golf clubs and I have not missed the extra space of the Eclass, mind you the size of the car driving around the lanes of Cornwall on a recent break made me very nervous. Still a unique car to see on the roads.

The cls refinement internal/ external style
1 external style = E class coupe but with 4 doors
2 refinement internal not as good as the E class
That is imo
Love the CLS though

Love mine.

It's rare, stylish, practical and a great ownership experience and people frequently come up and ask me about it. Much more exclusive and interesting than an E class coupe and in SB form more so than the current CLS 4 door which I think is a retrograde step in looks versus the original, both of course IMO.

On a lease deal these cars make a lot of sense and perceived value is far higher than the actual day to day costs. As a cash purchase list price and attendant depreciation are too strong, that said a big discount should be available especially on cars built and in stock.

The cls refinement internal/ external style
1 external style = E class coupe but with 4 doors
2 refinement internal not as good as the E class
That is imo
Love the CLS though

Huh? The CLS is a big jump up interior wise compared with the E Class, you're the first person who has ever said otherwise.

gIzzE said:
Huh? The CLS is a big jump up interior wise compared with the E Class, you're the first person who has ever said otherwise.

Don't get me wrong the cls is one of my favourite cars and the seating etc may be better but I do prefer the E Class dash and the digital climate. I am surprised how so many of here criticise others cars. Why is a cls such a big jump up in interior ????
They are both Mercs we are not comparing with Skoda ford vaxhaull etc etc

Because the E Class interior is pretty low rent, compared with the 211 and the 210 before the materials are all pretty cheap, no real soft touch plastics anyway, and doesn't feel like a proper Mercedes, it was one of the reasons I just didn't get on with my E350, it felt like a real step backward quality wise.
This also made the cabin much noisier as well as the sound resonated off all the cheap plastics used, the estate amplified this more so than the saloon and no doubt the coupe.

The CLS does still use a lot higher quality materials, when the door trims are hard plastic on the E Class they are soft touch on the CLS, same with the plastic around the centre console and dash.

Mercedes-Benz-CLS-features-stylish-interior-710x420.jpg

It is not how they look at all, I loved the look of my E350, just disappointed with the way it was put together. Although do think the CLS lines flow better, where as the E Class there just seems to be a big upright slab of buttons and centre console that isn't even aimed at the driver at all.

e350_6.JPG

Gizze
Thats a fair reflection really and a sound write up. Personally when I had an E350 estate as a loaner for a week it did feel more function over form, great car all the same but lacked that bit extra you find in a like for like CLS, I guess thats reflected in the price point too.

I added the luxury pack to mine when I specced it tho and oh so glad I did as IMO its a car that needs to exude luxury to display the best of its styling...

ATB

johns E350 said:
The cls refinement internal/ external style 1 external style = E class coupe but with 4 doors 2 refinement internal not as good as the E class That is imo Love the CLS though

I have had both vehicles, whilst the E350 coupe was a better drive the CLS is in a different league refinement wise. I loved my 350 and was sorry to see it go but it was plagued with the odd rattle like my previous C class. Both great cars but the CLS feels just a little bit more special.

JonnyFitz said:
I have had both vehicles, whilst the E350 coupe was a better drive the CLS is in a different league refinement wise. I loved my 350 and was sorry to see it go but it was plagued with the odd rattle like my previous C class. Both great cars but the CLS feels just a little bit more special.

Would have to agree the CLS does look special. It would also appear it has a better built interior as a few have pointed out and I take that on board. When I look at a car it is the dash which is the most important thing to me interior wise and that is all I was basing my opinion on.
Note
The head lights on the 1st E classes were better lol;)

I agree the dash is important and to be fair my E350 was an 11 plate I think the facelift made the interior a much nicer place to be. Looking at the OP in this thread moving from a C220 (which I have also owned and enjoyed) to CLS is going to be a great move.

Don't get me wrong the cls is one of my favourite cars and the seating etc may be better but I do prefer the E Class dash and the digital climate. I am surprised how so many of here criticise others cars. Why is a cls such a big jump up in interior ????

Your E-Class coupe is based on the C-Class which would be an even bigger jump to the CLS in terms of materials.

My W164 has a lot of the aforementioned hard plastics and it's to the cars detriment sadly.

try a f10 5 series, my mate just got one, took it out, stunning car, makes me rethink the s class hunt, roomy too, just better than the 212 e class i borrowed off someone a while back

Rustrust said:
try a f10 5 series, my mate just got one, took it out, stunning car, makes me rethink the s class hunt, roomy too, just better than the 212 e class i borrowed off someone a while back

Prefer the look of the E class over the 5
SPX said E based on the C sure I read CLS based on the E :)

Prefer the look of the E class over the 5
SPX said E based on the C sure I read CLS based on the E :)

they are, the e is a big c class and the cls a big posh c class.

the f10 is based on the f01 7 series. it shows, its just the better car, inside and out. rides better, handles better, its better and i am not that into beemers

they are, the e is a big c class and the cls a big posh c class.

Although it shares a chassis with the E-Class, as far as I'm aware the CLS is nearer to being a four door CL (hence the CL but can't remember what the S part stands for!)

SPX said:
Although it shares a chassis with the E-Class, as far as I'm aware the CLS is nearer to being a four door CL (hence the CL but can't remember what the S part stands for!)
Edit

Last edited:
Mercedes model CLS = Coupe Leicht Sportlich

I don't know what it means though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom