Command retro fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c13tay

Car
c200 diesel estate avantgarde SE
Hello

My 2003 c class estate is fitted with audio 10. I would love to upgrade and retro fit command. Have seen a few guides on this but being a complete numpty with electrics I loose the plot when they start to talk about soldering etc. Anyone know of anywhere or anyone in the northwest who could help with this. Also a complete list of parts I would need would be great. Other than the head unit itself and a gps antenna, what is needed

Cheers

Chris

Command was outdated when it was introduced, if you are going to the trouble of a retro fit have a search on here for people who have fitted double DIN units far superior to Command, personally I would not waste my money on such an archaic system when there is much better available. Just my 2p worth :thumb:

If you are set on Command, I would thoroughly recommend Alfie & Richard at comand.co.uk

Thanks for the input.....

I know command isn't the greatest....... But I'm a little ocd about things being oe!!!

Chris

Go and see Comand.co.uk like the people say. It's easier in the long run. They have done lots of mods for me down the years and they know what they are doing!

Thanks for the input.....

I know command isn't the greatest....... But I'm a little ocd about things being oe!!!

Chris

2004 saw the new COMAND system fitted to your model c class, but this will need a new centre console etc.

The one in your 2003 car is crap beyond belief, I had it in my 2003 ML back in 2003 and even then I couldn't believe how archaic it felt. It was already 6 years old than, so it is now a 17 year old nav system.

I think the W203 is one of the few cars that will take an aftermarket double din unit and look pretty good.

appradio.jpg

If you insist on oem get a later NTG2.5 and do the dash update, so new climate controls and buttons for hazards etc.

Do not attempt to facelift a W203 from pre-facelift to post-facelift. There are *so* many gotchas, such as: -

a) You need a new instrument cluster if you want the audio/etc display and steering wheel controls to work as the protocol between the stereo and the cluster changes with the facelift. The newer clusters understand both, the older ones dont.
b) Then because you've changed that, other things need changing such as the fuel tank sender on some vehicles. On older C classes that includes all kind of things you don't expect such as door controllers, etc etc
c) Given the age of the car, you'll spend more than the car - better just sell it and buy a newer one !!!

So, in reality choice is a Comand 2.0, which is out-dated (the maps are now frozen also, so no more map updates after this year: ( TomTom / Teleatlas DX UK & Ireland 2013-2014 with Major Roads of Western Europe + Merian scout guide | United Kingdom | Mercedes Navigation Disks | Comand Online Ltd ) or a modern unit with a fascia adapter and steering-wheel-control interface.

We have plenty of customers who just want the OEM look and are willing to live with an older nav system as a result.

Richard

I am a big fan of the Alpine W925r, Nav, Dab, ipod, android etc.

But more importantlyh the colour schemes matches the Merc lighting almost perfectly, the graphics are very subtle and sort of a dark yellow/brown shade so doesn't look out of place.

alpine_ml.jpg

I will try and take a pic at night to show what I mean.

I have comand 2 and quite like it. Yes its hopelessly out of date but it is very accurate and works well as a basic satnav. One bonus is that the sound quality is much better than the audio 10

Thanks again for the advice....... Really would prefer oem but might be able to live with aftermarket if it lights up correctly....... I hate things that light up the wrong colour!!!!

Chris

Try a Sony XAV-601BT has variable colour so you can get the buttons pretty damn close to factory, also you can set the displays to a nice simple look, which blends well with OEM.

Well had a look at loads of stuff and still come back to wanting comand...... It just looks right.

One thing I can't understand is ....... If it's so outdated and thre seems to be lots about, why is it so expensive ... ?

Can't justify buying all the bits at once........ If I got the head unit
, would that just plug in and work as a radio etc while I try to get the other bits together or is it all or nothing ???

Anyone got any pics of this at nigh showing the illumination ..

Cheers

Chris

...One thing I can't understand is ....... If it's so outdated and thre seems to be lots about, why is it so expensive ... ?

...because everyone wants one :D

NTG1 in one of mine still has traffic info that works great and has saved me hours from being stuck on motorways and road works,
TomTom's ok as are some of the after market double din units,
problem is those are attractive to thieves in my area and are regularly ripped out,
OEM Comands get left alone usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom