Considering an E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saddy

Car
E63 estate 2019
Hi

I've been lurking for a while but seriously considering my first AMG purchase . An E63, also looking at M5 also (don't shoot me) but definitely leaning towards the AMG.

I've driven both and the E63 definitely gave me a bigger smile although the M5 felt a slightly nicer place to be (especially with the comfort seats) and with a better gearbox.

I've also found speaking to Merc dealers and BMW dealers is like chalk and cheese. The BMW Sales guys can't seem to do enough where as Merc sales seem pretty uninterested in helping me (last one I spoke to told me I'd never find what I want! ).

Looking up to £45k although ideally below £40k.

I like black but not set on that , as long as it's not Silver (my c350 is silver and want a change). I also prefer cream leather , I know but it's what I prefer.

360 camera would be nice, as would massage/cooled seats. Although these options together seem pretty rare. Anyone any advice on which would be a preference? Or anything else I should be looking for?

I've seen a couple lately, 2 of which are the E63S, not really fussed if an S , as standard has enough power, although LSD I'm sure is useful? Having said that driving a standard I found it surprisingly planted.

Seen these which fit some of my preferences;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707277772477?atmobcid=soc3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708128286179?atmobcid=soc3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703233605601?atmobcid=soc3

Any comments and help welcome. Especially if you tell me to get on and buy one!!

Cheers

Hey Saddy, those three all look awesome - I prefer the look of 2 but I'd probably buy 3. Am I nuts or are the brake disks on number 2 rusty in the photo? Who does that in an ad?!? :eek:

I would be really tempted going Approved Used for that amount of cash, though I recently bought a 2011 6.2 E63 from a BMW dealer so what do I know? I definitely know what you mean about the different attitudes in the dealerships. I managed to get 3 years gap insurance and 3 years warranty on mine for £300 over the screen, so it's definitely worth seeing what you can get out of them when you do pull the trigger.

Thanks both!

Yeh I reckoned rusty disks on 2 .. think it's been for sale a while too, but it ticks all my boxes!

I'm also thinking dealer purchase is best rather than Indy, especially from distance.

I've just bought an e63 S and take delivery on Friday.
I figured that it was lower numbers (<100 in uk) and it has the slip diff as standard as well as an extra 30bhp.

There are a couple within the merc dealer network and they come in less than that independent dealer you've linked. They also come with 2 yrs merc warranty....

There is a nice one-owner low mileage one at mercedes OXFORD, but they are hard work to deal with. I bought mine from mercedes Newcastle.
I'm too worried about the massage seats, but the rest of the spec like parktronic, pan roof, Harmon kardon sound all seem fairly common options.

I'd say No. 3 only because of the interior. Light grey leather in my old CL55 always showed sings of darker colours like blue and black jeans. Impossible to keep clean.

Hey Gastro, congrats on your purchase, bet you can't wait!
I've seen that one in Oxford but it's silver and doesn't have any of the options I'd like.

Number one which I'd enquired about is no longer for sale, apparently had mods they were unaware of and they are unwilling to give warranty etc..

Ideally I think I want a dealer vehicle so will continue to look for now I think.

Hi Alex, my C350 has the grey alpaca leather but I had it treated and tip up myself regularly. I've had it 4 years nearly and looks great still so am not too worried about that I don't think. Although spec on that car is great.

Hey Gastro, congrats on your purchase, bet you can't wait!
I've seen that one in Oxford but it's silver and doesn't have any of the options I'd like.

Number one which I'd enquired about is no longer for sale, apparently had mods they were unaware of and they are unwilling to give warranty etc..

Ideally I think I want a dealer vehicle so will continue to look for now I think.

Hi Alex, my C350 has the grey alpaca leather but I had it treated and tip up myself regularly. I've had it 4 years nearly and looks great still so am not too worried about that I don't think. Although spec on that car is great.

I think the quality of leather is what makes the difference here (for the worse in this situation). AMGs use nappa leather which is a lot softer than leather used in MB range. A leather in my Mrs old C350 was a fair bit more grainy. It's not the end of the world granted, I just thought I'd give a bit of an input regarding the interior. Ironically, the grey alpaca interior in my CL55 was why I bought the car. Lovely to look at and be in but more effort to keep looking pristine.

Hi, I just bought an E63 from Mercedes Chelsea for £35k. It's a 1 owner, 2015 '15' with 15k miles. Not my ideal spec or colour, but deal seemed very good and includes a 2 year warranty. I'll try and post a link later. Make sure before you buy it's definitely had all the services. I think some cars are ex lease and are sold through auction at 2 years old perhaps pretty much the time they need a service I believe. The one at MB Oxford looks nice and is low mileage but standard spec (like mine), albeit much more desirable as it is an 'S'

Hi

I've been lurking for a while but seriously considering my first AMG purchase . An E63, also looking at M5 also (don't shoot me) but definitely leaning towards the AMG.

I've driven both and the E63 definitely gave me a bigger smile although the M5 felt a slightly nicer place to be (especially with the comfort seats) and with a better gearbox.

I've also found speaking to Merc dealers and BMW dealers is like chalk and cheese. The BMW Sales guys can't seem to do enough where as Merc sales seem pretty uninterested in helping me (last one I spoke to told me I'd never find what I want! ).

Looking up to £45k although ideally below £40k.

I like black but not set on that , as long as it's not Silver (my c350 is silver and want a change). I also prefer cream leather , I know but it's what I prefer.

360 camera would be nice, as would massage/cooled seats. Although these options together seem pretty rare. Anyone any advice on which would be a preference? Or anything else I should be looking for?

I've seen a couple lately, 2 of which are the E63S, not really fussed if an S , as standard has enough power, although LSD I'm sure is useful? Having said that driving a standard I found it surprisingly planted.

Seen these which fit some of my preferences;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707277772477?atmobcid=soc3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708128286179?atmobcid=soc3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703233605601?atmobcid=soc3

Any comments and help welcome. Especially if you tell me to get on and buy one!!

Cheers

With these being complex and potentially very expensive to fix cars - I'd want one with at least some balance of manufacturers warranty, either original or extended - at least covering the first few months of ownership for the peace of mind it brings. I'd then go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for the most minor of warranty issues. With any luck there will be nothing at all wrong with it!

Cars within the dealer network are generally preferred, but I wouldn't let it be a deal-breaker if the above is covered.

Of those 3 links , I'd definitely go for the last one on colour and spec.

Not sure if you've tried the C63 (W204 or W205)? I nearly bought an E63, but I connected more with the 'rawness' of the NA C even though it is not nearly as luxurious. Both '63's are fantastic machines - M5 (F10 I assume?) on the other hand holds no appeal to me whatsoever

Looking at your sig, I'm very familiar with your motors - I had a diesel cls350 for a bit, and my wife currently has a mk7 gti PP. No love for the diesel even in multicylinder form - Big torque alone does not make an enjoyable car. As for the VW EA888, what an utterly charmless bag-o-bolts! The M156 in the W204 is on a different planet to these powerplants. I'm thinking flog both your motors and get an C63 W204 touring. Yes the mpg is rubbish, but as everyone will agree - it's well worth it as you'll be smiling through all those frequent trips to the petrol station!

Last edited:
Am I correct in thinking all 3 are just out of warranty ? Personally I would be interested in the 2nd one as I love Black and the `S ` would be a bonus ......If the extended MB Warranty could be sought, either included in the deal or even part contributed, if at all possible, that's the one I would go with.....

I would also look for a car within the dealers network with extended MB Warranty. I just bought (or in the process of buying) a 2014 E63 (S212) with 2 years warranty, and this was what sealed the deal for me. The E63 appears to be reliable beasts, but with the potential of big bills, so re-assuring to at least start out with a proper warranty. I bought mine in Germany, so 4matic was something I actively sought out, so for me no big deal between a standard E63 or an "S" (and the alcantara on the steering wheel tends to look very worn/flat with mileage), while the UK RWD-only E63 comes with LSD on the "S" and therefore very desirable. Options that I wanted was alcantara headliner, 360 camera and B&O but they are well-specced even without options.

I think the quality of leather is what makes the difference here (for the worse in this situation). AMGs use nappa leather which is a lot softer than leather used in MB range. A leather in my Mrs old C350 was a fair bit more grainy. It's not the end of the world granted, I just thought I'd give a bit of an input regarding the interior. Ironically, the grey alpaca interior in my CL55 was why I bought the car. Lovely to look at and be in but more effort to keep looking pristine.

Ok thanks, Going black would definitely open up more options

Hi, I just bought an E63 from Mercedes Chelsea for £35k. It's a 1 owner, 2015 '15' with 15k miles. Not my ideal spec or colour, but deal seemed very good and includes a 2 year warranty. I'll try and post a link later. Make sure before you buy it's definitely had all the services. I think some cars are ex lease and are sold through auction at 2 years old perhaps pretty much the time they need a service I believe. The one at MB Oxford looks nice and is low mileage but standard spec (like mine), albeit much more desirable as it is an 'S'

35k low miles 15 plate with 2 years seems a good price.. Was that cash or finance do you mind me asking? Colour/options? Cheers

With these being complex and potentially very expensive to fix cars - I'd want one with at least some balance of manufacturers warranty, either original or extended - at least covering the first few months of ownership for the peace of mind it brings. I'd then go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for the most minor of warranty issues. With any luck there will be nothing at all wrong with it!

Cars within the dealer network are generally preferred, but I wouldn't let it be a deal-breaker if the above is covered.

Of those 3 links , I'd definitely go for the last one on colour and spec.

Not sure if you've tried the C63 (W204 or W205)? I nearly bought an E63, but I connected more with the 'rawness' of the NA C even though it is not nearly as luxurious. Both '63's are fantastic machines - M5 (F10 I assume?) on the other hand holds no appeal to me whatsoever

Looking at your sig, I'm very familiar with your motors - I had a diesel cls350 for a bit, and my wife currently has a mk7 gti PP. No love for the diesel even in multicylinder form - Big torque alone does not make an enjoyable car. As for the VW EA888, what an utterly charmless bag-o-bolts! The M156 in the W204 is on a different planet to these powerplants. I'm thinking flog both your motors and get an C63 W204 touring. Yes the mpg is rubbish, but as everyone will agree - it's well worth it as you'll be smiling through all those frequent trips to the petrol station!

Yes I want min 12 month but ideally 24 warranty. The golf R has been replaced with a MK7.5 GTI which I got on a ridiculous lease deal!! Wife's car mainly though. C350 will go and E63 would become my daily. C63 is just too raw for me I think.

Am I correct in thinking all 3 are just out of warranty ? Personally I would be interested in the 2nd one as I love Black and the `S ` would be a bonus ......If the extended MB Warranty could be sought, either included in the deal or even part contributed, if at all possible, that's the one I would go with.....

Yes looks nice but has been for sale a while. The S worries me slightly in terms of maintaining? Are brakes etc.. Much more?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705115335732

That car is an ex-rental car originally with MFS as the owner. It also has non-matching tyres on it - read into that what you want.
I voted with my feet, although the spec is great and an 'S' model.

As for brakes.... no difference - they are all heavy, fast cars and will need brake maintenance/replacement as per any car of this ilk.

Changed my mind and went for 2016 C63 premium plus Estate. Black with red pepper seats. Night pack and Performance exhaust.

Picking it up hopefully Thursday so Pics to follow.

Thanks for the advice but after sitting in and driving it I couldn’t resist. I may regret not going for the E ,who knows. I don’t think I’ll regret buying this though..

:):banana::banana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom