• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Converting car seats to office chairs

Jack Barclay use these in their showroom:

chair.jpg

Saab 9000 seat. £25 from scrappy, welded to base scrounged from ex employer after avoirdupois challenged colleague broke it.

Pure dead comfy. :thumb: Could sit in it all day...as I quite often do.

seat-1-1.jpg

Holly thread resurrection Batman!

I’m thinking about converting our internal garage into a cool (by my usual uncool standards) office space. I would like to make sure that it still looks, feels and functions as a garage but make it a nice place to spend time.

Initially it will be an office for me when I’m working from home, and provide somewhere for me to display “my” stuff, like my first BMX and various car bits & pieces. I’ll also keep my tools in there - handy as it’s part of the house.

My son is growing up fast so I’m thinking that later it could become a space for maybe an old Out Run or Sega Rally arcade game or a more modern simulator set up. He doesn’t know he even wants a simulator just yet! 😁

So what’s that got to do with this thread? The almost unused E 55 AMG seat lives in there, so I either need to move it, sell it, or convert it into a chair as I originally planned. It needs a good clean first though!

Has anyone done something similar with a car seat - or their garage - and have any tips on how best to do it? I like the idea of a substantial “armchair” style seat but a height adjustable office chair might be most useful.

Old thread indeed and good luck with the project!

Could I ask you for a favour as you have the seat out already. Could you send some pictures of the mounting points for the chair to the car body? I often wonder if the stock rails could be modified to get the stock W211/W219 seats to sit ever so slightly lower. I love a nice low driving position.

I’m thinking about converting our internal garage into a cool (by my usual uncool standards) office space. I would like to make sure that it still looks, feels and functions as a garage but make it a nice place to spend time.

Initially it will be an office for me when I’m working from home, and provide somewhere for me to display “my” stuff, like my first BMX and various car bits & pieces. ]

Which one was your first BMX ?

Initially it will be an office for me when I’m working from home, and provide somewhere for me to display “my” stuff, like my first BMX and various car bits & pieces]

What was first BMX ?

Rob,

I’d think that if the E55 211 seat was in good condition, it would be worth a pretty penny nowadays are many of these cars have aged (circa 15 years) and have typically 100-150k+ miles on them.

You might get quite decent money from it towards a ready made/more suitable office/car chair hybrid? Just a thought :)

Before I set about my office chair with a socket set and hammer, anyone know of any conversion kits?

Google searches turn up all sorts of DIY jobs, but I hoped to get a kit of some sort.

I've just bought a W211 E55 seat for this very purpose!! :thumb:
I have a couple of these Poang footstools from Ikea - I don't think it would be hard to bolt the runners of a car seat onto something like this . These don't have castors , so if you wanted it wheeled , look for something else , but a small footstool or coffee table would probably make a good base .

I made an office/gaming chair a few years ago from an SLK R171 seat.
With the recent lock-down and working from home, I have been spending quite long periods on it, always comfortable and supportive.

SLk Chair.jpg

Old thread indeed and good luck with the project!

Could I ask you for a favour as you have the seat out already. Could you send some pictures of the mounting points for the chair to the car body? I often wonder if the stock rails could be modified to get the stock W211/W219 seats to sit ever so slightly lower. I love a nice low driving position.
Sure it may be a while but of course I’ll do that

Rob,

I’d think that if the E55 211 seat was in good condition, it would be worth a pretty penny nowadays are many of these cars have aged (circa 15 years) and have typically 100-150k+ miles on them.

You might get quite decent money from it towards a ready made/more suitable office/car chair hybrid? Just a thought :)
I had a similar thought Will. It’s been in storage for almost it’s entire life so it needs a good clean but it might be interesting to list it on eBay to see what it’s worth before doing anything else to it.

I have a couple of these Poang footstools from Ikea - I don't think it would be hard to bolt the runners of a car seat onto something like this . These don't have castors , so if you wanted it wheeled , look for something else , but a small footstool or coffee table would probably make a good base .

Good idea, I considered a Poang chair back when I bought the car seat but concluded it might not be strong enough because of it’s flexing design, but the stool is a genius idea, thank you!

Just some 25mm box section welded to the rail. I used quite a substantial base from an Office Equipment reseller, the regular bases seemed a bit lightweight and this had the potential to be a bit top heavy

View attachment 96354
Cracking job. I wish I was a bit handier. I wonder whether Aldi has any welders on special offer?! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom