Credit or Debit Quick Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aibonator

Car
C63S Saloon
Have to pay a fairly hefty deposit for the PCP next Friday so I can collect the car first thing the following Monday (Halloween and all).

With a deposit for a PCP is there any protection the credit card gives you over debit should there be something wrong with the car and you decide to reject it - or as its a deposit doesn't it matter?

There is a 1.25% credit card charge which isn't insignificant.

Thanks.

Have to pay a fairly hefty deposit for the PCP next Friday so I can collect the car first thing the following Monday (Halloween and all).

With a deposit for a PCP is there any protection the credit card gives you over debit should there be something wrong with the car and you decide to reject it - or as its a deposit doesn't it matter?

There is a 1.25% credit card charge which isn't insignificant.

Thanks.

I paid my deposit on credit card, but wasn't charged a surcharge for it.

As for rights to rejection, as someone that's recently had to do this it's covered in the Consumer Rights Act 2015 section 22 so doesn't matter what payment method you used, cheapest is probably best unless you have a reward credit card that offsets the 1.25% against a bigger return ;)

Hi

I paid my deposit on my used car with a credit card, it was a main dealer and they waived the surcharge without any negotiation. Give it a go.

If you pay the deposit by credit card, the card will protect you for the entire purchase, i.e. not just the deposit amount.

I do appreciate however that this may be less important when purchasing the car with finance as opposed to outright.

Unfortunately a little late for the OP, he payed the deposit yesterday. :doh:

I have a sainsburys credit card linked to the nectar card. Use it for all monthly purchases and pay off monthly.

As well as the payment protection we get a good 200 quids worth of points every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom