Damaging car battery from electrical drain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

popalock

Car
W203 C Class estate C220 CDI
My 3month old battery bought direct from MB needs replacing (can't hold a charge, insufficient cranking amps).

MB tell me if there is an electrical drain on the battery the warranty is voided because it would have killed the battery. Oh and then I have to pay for labour in determining the fault! Nice

I'm surprised a new battery can die (not just lose a charge) so quickly regardless of any other technical issues. This true?

Car is mainly used by the wife ferrying kids about and shopping.

If the battery has failed after three months it sounds like it has a faulty cell.
These normally fail short circuit and if a load test is performed on a fully charged battery the faulty cell will 'boil' accompanied by a distinctive 'metallic' smell of ozone.
If it does this (a reputable auto electrician can test it) the battery is faulty and no amount of discharge will have caused it.
Personally, I think they are making it up, but also get your charging checked as overcharging will cause a new battery to fail.

Deep discharging a flooded lead acid battery and keeping it discharged continuously is the quickest way to kill it.

Depending on how many times you have run it flat, then I suppose it could be killed in 3 months. I have done worse in less time.

Yeah have front electric adjustable seats (not memory).

First time it has run flat in 3 months.

The battery test done by breakdown recovery showed it measured 620A vs rated 760A (those cranking amps?). Voltage is fine at 12.something

In order to start the car (to get it to a garage) I need either to jump start it (apparently not good for modern cars) or a new battery. Or is there a way for me to give the battery just enough juice so it can start the car at least the once?

I've tried 3 standard chargers, each telling me the battery is full..

Battery booster/ starter pack is the way to go so no damage to car electrics

Will any booster do? Note; the reading on existing battery was 620A (Should be rated 760A)

Do I need a minimum rating on the booster to top it up to a sufficient amount?

I've a diesel mind..

Halfords show listing of size for all cars remember you are only assisting existing battery not complete flat battery until your battery is replaced as stated your battery is faulty

Hi,

I am an auto electrician, well I was, now design automotive electrics etc. I used to test batteries, alternators etc including drains, over charging etc.
PM if you need any help / advice on this.

With booster packs you can use for pumping up tyres and has dc port for all sorts of equipment and a good light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom