demise of the R Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ckember

Car
GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
Mercedes owner magazine from www.mercedesclub.org.uk, for those that don't know, have a small article stating that the R class could be dropped from the current line up due to "disappointing sales" due to "Public concerns over rising fuels prices".

What about MB just getting the role of the R class wrong.

It has fantastic space, but is essentially an American built barge, Sorry to anyone that has one, I was looking at getting one but its no drivers car.

Last edited:
its perhaps its ugliness?

Mercedes owner magazine from www.mercedesclub.org.uk, for those that don't know, have a small article stating that the R class could be dropped from the current line up due to "disappointing sales" due to "Public concerns over rising fuels prices".

What about MB just getting the role of the R class wrong.

It has fantastic space, but is essentially an American built barge, Sorry to anyone that has one, I was looking at getting one but its no drivers car.
I just don't think it is one thing or the other. Before the release I was very interested, but I can honestly say it was not love at first sight.

It's not an MPV, it's not an estate car, it's not a 4x4 and it's not selling in the numbers required.

John

MB will have invested quite abit of money in production facilities, I would be surprised if they give up so soon...

I was at the dealership today - they had an R Class, it is certainly a beast.

One thing that struck me today though, I usually pick up a couple of brochures out of interest but there are so many models now I was kind of swamped into apathy, the showroom had an R, SLK (AMG), E, C, CLS (AMG) and CLK - I wonder if you can have too much of a good thing?

By the way I heard them say price increases in April.

Mike

I would also be surprised if they dropped it yet. Revising the interior to give 7 seats (LWB) rather than 6 was probably a good move. Fuel consumption wise it's probably better than an ML or GL with the same engine, and I don't see them dropping those models ;)

It'll become a 'previously unloved' classic once it's out of production for a few years.

...but there are so many models now I was kind of swamped into apathy, the showroom had an R, SLK (AMG), E, C, CLS (AMG) and CLK - I wonder if you can have too much of a good thing?

I noticed that the other day when I looked at MB's revamped website. There are 15 model ranges, from A Class to Viano. Insane.

can't happen soon enough.
Lose the A and B as well or call it something else and not a mercedes.
Just as BMW call the mini errr mini.

I agree. Stick to what they are good at.

And handily enough they already have a "small vehicle" brand ... Smart.

I agree. Stick to what they are good at.
I would just like to see extremely well made C, E, S and SL but I suppose the accountants know where the money is and are catering to a bigger audience.

The R-class was made to cater for the biggest buying customer base and is it selling? Is it better to cut and run, or should they try to repackage. The seating arrangements have been altered but it still looks a mongrel. A cross between three types of model some of which contradict each other.

When we had the GL I looked long and hard at it, but to me it did not have that feeling of luxury offered by the 'real' Range Rover and if I were to buy a top of the range vehicle, then that is a huge consideration.

How many members of this forum have purchased a new R-class as without new sales the model must surely die. At the moment it looks like there are dozens of these vehicles available all pre registered with a few miles on the clock and being sold at huge discounts? That will also effect new sales.

2007 LWB 320CDI Sport R-class with just 4175 miles on the clock £28,995. Who in their right mind would spend double that figure on a new similar R-class?

Regards
John

That is not a fair comparison. The BMW 1 series competes directly with the A class and if you read the Autocar head to head, the A class came out best. The A and the B class have a lot more to do with the future of motoring than band G cars like the R class.

Last edited:
Somebody said that it was ugly but compared to the reasonably selling Audi Q8, it's a real doll. So I don't believe that it is ugliness.
Given its size and the fact that it is built in the US (?), the company must have been gambling on most sales coming from there. However, given the Q8 success, there clearly is a European market.
Having invested all that money I suspect that they will go for a revamp. Both the Marketing people and the bean-counters will look closely to identify where its bad points are and what it needs to improve its sales appeal. In my view it needs to look slimmer, less bulky and less like an SUV, while retaining its excellent space. Just my taste but SUV's are anathema to me and so the further away from that 'look' the better. Somebody mentioned its driving characteristics. I don't care. If I wanted that I'd be buying a BM Wobbleyou and put on a baseball hat. I want comfort, smoothness, silence, safety and power everything. But they haven't asked me.

Both the Marketing people and the bean-counters will look closely to identify where its bad points are and what it needs to improve its sales appeal. In my view it needs to look slimmer, less bulky and less like an SUV, while retaining its excellent space. Just my taste but SUV's are anathema to me and so the further away from that 'look' the better.
Sort of like an S-class estate :devil: :devil: but no one would buy it :D

It took ages for Mercedes to acknowledge there was a market for a luxury estate and now they have a large portion of this top end market. The S-class might be the icing on the cake :D

John

I noticed that the other day when I looked at MB's revamped website. There are 15 model ranges, from A Class to Viano. Insane.

They're not the only ones. Here's the VW Range:

Fox
Polo
Golf
Golf Plus
Jetta
Passat
Beetle
Eos
Tiguan
Touareg
Sharan
Phaeton

That's 12, and the Passat Coupe will make 13.

I'm sure that for MB, the brand is a major pull. Peeps will pay a premium for the brand because of what they think the brand stands for. And the brand has proved to be resilient because, although the bean counters mullered the products in the 90's, it hasn't suffered to the same degree.

I'd argue that A and B wouldn't command quite the same brand premium under Smart as they do under MB. Smart has a certain message in the market that people understand, and "bigger" cars confuse and dilute that message. So, with less money and greater risk to the brand, MB is the place for them to be.

The R Class is actually a good car (having spent a lot of time in one), but making it 4WD was a mistake IMO as I doubt that's a key feature for most potential buyers outside the USA.

With RWD it would be cheaper and lighter (=better fuel economy), which would surely help sales in Europe.

The R Class is actually a good car (having spent a lot of time in one), but making it 4WD was a mistake IMO as I doubt that's a key feature for most potential buyers outside the USA.

With RWD it would be cheaper and lighter (=better fuel economy), which would surely help sales in Europe.
The snag is it must have a certain degree of appeal and I just do not see that. Who cares what the drive train is? Does it really matter if it is four wheel drive or just two? Look at some of the Honda 4x4 look-a-like vehicles. I don't have a clue what one's are four wheeel drive and what are only two wheel drive. The R-class is a very big and bulky vehicle that to a degree is the opposite of a tardis. Big on the outside but not overly brilliant on the inside.

John

Does it really matter if it is four wheel drive or just two?
Yes, if making it RWD-only knocked £4k off the price and gave you another 5mpg (for example).

Yes, if making it RWD-only knocked £4k off the price and gave you another 5mpg (for example).
:) :) But did it alter the looks or its image. When I buy a car I hate to say it but fuel consumption is not an over-riding factor. It is a consideration but not a deal breaker.

I have just logged onto the Mercedes site and checked the fuel figures but the only difference I can see is for the new R280CDI.

The SWB 320CDI 4x4 overall 30.4
LWB 320CDI 4x4 30.4
SWB 280CDI which is 2x4 31.7 overall

I don't know if this link will work but it allows you to put all three vehicles side by side and then select any comparison information. The fuel figures are very surprising especially as the 320 is an uprated engine and long wheelbase. I would willingly tolerate the very minor fuel figures for the benefits of the more powerful engine?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom