Diagnostics Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
I've ordered my first MB and am moving over from the VAG stable. So I'm a forum newby.

If I had bought another Audi, I would have been able to figure out most problems with the aid of the VCDS diagnostics system. The plug-in equipment is reasonably affordable, the diagnostic codes are widely available and there is a very active community of people who can help with diagnostics as well as dig a little deeper to allow enable enhancements, hidden menus and so on. Some maintenace tasks like changing rear brake pads need VCDS, so the accessibility of the system is great news for DIY.

I know that the MB equivalent is Star, but beyond that I'm stumped to find any more. Is it available outside the dealer network? Are there any gifted amateurs who understand it inside out? Is it amenable to DIY use?

Last edited:
Sadly I don't think there is anything as versatile or as cheap as the VCDS system for VAG products. Others may know better but I think generic OBD code readers with limited functionality will be the best you will get at a reasonable price?
ps I'm not sure if they will even deal with the very latest models

Take a look at the Scangauge range - has other uses too and resale always strong.
I had the SG2 for a long time and also used it as a life 'extra digital dash' too.

OBDII reader will read and reset codes.

You need STAR really do to anything usefull but on a car as new as yours many things require an online connection to MB Germany to do which can only be done by those supplied by a genuine system from MB and who pay a yearly subscription to them, a couple of grand a year. A bit of info on: http://www.mercupgrades.com/star+diagnosis+information-article-24.html

STAR systems genuine and clones on ebay.

Last edited:
Oh well, never mind. I won't need any rolled up sleeves action during the 3 year warranty. By the time we get to the end of that I'll have figured out if reliability is back to legendary MB levels or if it's time to move on again.

Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom