Direct Line and Factory Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But surely there is no change to the manufacturers standard specification, for that car. You are not talking about other models, but the model you are insuring. Ergo it is the standard spec.
Moot point, but my reading of "manufacturer's standard specification" relates to the features of the vehicle model, not the particular vehicle example.

I suppose I could drop Direct Line an email to enquire, but by the fact that the underwriter who was involved in the quotation process was asking very specific questions through the call handler, I think my interpretation is correct.

The model is an E63. It has the optional performance package plus - which is not part of the standard spec.

Isn't the model the E63 PPP? Or have I got that wrong?

What about optional leather seat?

AFAIK M-B 'packages' are options, rather than model designations. Depends what's on the V5 I guess?!

The car is simply an E63 AMG, while the Performance Pack Plus is an optional extra (option code P30).

AFAIK M-B 'packages' are options, rather than model designations. Depends what's on the V5 I guess?!

That's an interesting question.

All the options are on your Data card. There are no options listed on the V5.

So do the insurance company pay out from what's on the V5 or the Data card ?

So making it clear to the insurance that you have said options would be sensible. Then there would be no misunderstanding.

I hate the modification question when it applies to second hand cars. I have no idea if the car has been modded. My E39 was an individual model, this meant it came with better seats (leather piping, sexy), the DSP sound option (uber rare) and special paint. However, it was factory and I would consider it standard factory spec for an individual model.

However, the car also had a rear spoiler, sport suspension and deep dish alloys, I have no idea if they were retro fitted and just assumed it was factory.

Same with the C320, AMG Lite alloys, being an avantgarde, I just assumed it was factory and said no variations.

But then in your case, if Direct Line says deviations from standard, as opposed to changes since first registered, I would have squealed like a piggy too.

'Too honest'? Surely there are no degrees of honesty, you are either honest, or you are not.

I imagine that each insurance company sets its own rules in relation to such things as options, and you either accept the contract, or you don't.

The rub would come if the car were to be damaged, at which point the insurance company could become aware and withdraw from the contract if it deemed that the policyholder had not been honest at its commencement.

There will always be those who just look at the premium, but the best thing to do is to read the policy document before buying. They are always available online.

Not on my SL. Body kit afaia is standard. As ever, could be wrong.

Think we're talking at cross-purposes.

Your SL60 has a body kit but this doesn't have to be declared as it's standard on that model. You would have to declare if you removed it though :D

The PPP parts aren't standard on the E63, so they should be declared if asked whether the car differs from standard spec.

Think we're talking at cross-purposes.

Your SL60 has a body kit but this doesn't have to be declared as it's standard on that model. You would have to declare if you removed it though :D

The PPP parts aren't standard on the E63, so they should be declared if asked whether the car differs from standard spec.

Any bodyshop would simply re-order parts based on the VIN. The PPP was factory fitted, I dont see why this should ever need to be declared as modified from factory specification.

Any bodyshop would simply re-order parts based on the VIN. The PPP was factory fitted, I dont see why this should ever need to be declared as modified from factory specification.

Because if hit from the rear the repair cost is going to be higher than for a standard E63 (replacement of expensive carbon spoiler).

Because if hit from the rear the repair cost is going to be higher than for a standard E63 (replacement of expensive carbon spoiler).

Sure it would cost more, but surely it's up to the InsCo to to identify the spec of the car from the reg/vin? Post factory mods declare. In factory "mods" InsCo's bag. Just MHO :D

I think the OP is right with his interpretation of Direct Lines assumptions, therefore if anyone is going to insure their car with DL then be sure to tell them about all options that you have on the car that deviate from the standard (base) spec factory build. Better still dont insure with DL!

DL are another insurance company to go on my "avoid" list along with Admiral and its partners.

David

I Have had very good service from Admiral.

I Have had very good service from Admiral.

And I have with DL which I have been using for many years now.

It is very interesting debate to see what's optional, and what isnt.

My understanding is that the basics are those which came as standard on particular spec.
For instance, C class AMG sport plus had Xenons as standard, which I would view as factory fitted, standard spec.
However, Xenons on C class SE were optional, hence modifying the standard spec.

In simple words, anything that came with the car, without you ticking ANYoptional boxes is classed as standard.

Over the years there were few incidents when my cars had to go in for repair (through direct line), and despite number of 'options' fitted to them it was never a problem.

The model is an E63. It has the optional performance package plus - which is not part of the standard spec.

For a E63 PPP?

Are you saying that if a part is needed, the VIN won't give the correct car to order it for?

If the carbon spoiler is part of the PP package, then the VIN will reveal it, so according to the registration and VIN it is a standard car.

As long as the car was declared as E63 PPP, then the whole package is standard equipment.

As long as the car was declared as E63 PPP
Is there any such thing (genuine question)? I thought it was an E63 with option code P30 (amongst others) selected, rather than being a different model.

Is there any such thing (genuine question)? I thought it was an E63 with option code P30 (amongst others) selected, rather than being a different model.

The VIN is for a PPP car, ergo it exists.

The VIN is for a PPP car, ergo it exists.

So an SLK200 with COMAND is an 'SLK200 COMAND'?

Do insurance companies have VINs anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom