Do we still have engine snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Years ago i really wanted a Ford Cosworth, just because, anyway i found one, it hadn't been stolen to many times, it drove really really well, but the insurance at the time was 4 x the price of the car ( And i was in my 30's then) So i dropped that idea. Move on a couple of years and a friend asked me if i was still looking for a Ford Granada and - i told him i was quite happy with my Granada 2.8 Ghia X Estate ( And i am not a Ford fanboy at all ) He then informed me that this particular Ford Granada was his fathers, one owner and was the Ford Scorpio and was the 3.0 litre. I was curious at that point the 3.0L Granada engine was changed to the 2.8L in the late 70's / early 80's - And this was a 1991 hatch model. So i arranged to drive over and take a look. Nice car i thought to myself, Silver and full leather electric seats front AND back, Great sound system and less than 45k on the clock.
I asked to look under the bonnet and written on the engine was the best narrative i ever saw ( COSWORTH 24v ) !!

Up to this point i never knew that Cosworth had their dabs on the V6 Granada Scorpio.

I immediately rang my insurance company and the price was the same as my 1984 2.8 Ghia X Granada.....

This was the best V6 car i ever owned, and by the standards of the day it was quite quick.

When the car came to the end of economic repair and i sold it on to an enthusiast i really really wanted another 24v V6 and searched high and low and looked at everything and oddly purchased something with that engine but was very heavy, uneconomic, quite slow and i loved it just as much - Enter the Mitsubishi Shogun 3.0L 24v ..... i owned this one for well over a decade and did over 200k in her....

Not engine snobbery at all, just a love of that particular engine design.

I keep my cars until they are almost dead, So my last throw of the dice probably for a 'fun' car ( I always have a practical car and a 'fun' car ) was something like the Mazda 2.0l Roadster, but with a lot more comfort - Enter the SL 500.
Driving fast and leaving my rear tyres all over the road at every junction has never interested me, i like smooth powerful torque which this car delivers in spades.

If i want to go fast i have my motorcycles! ( Well one of them is quite brisk the other is not! )

Years ago i really wanted a Ford Cosworth, just because, anyway i found one, it hadn't been stolen to many times, it drove really really well, but the insurance at the time was 4 x the price of the car ( And i was in my 30's then) So i dropped that idea. Move on a couple of years and a friend asked me if i was still looking for a Ford Granada and - i told him i was quite happy with my Granada 2.8 Ghia X Estate ( And i am not a Ford fanboy at all ) He then informed me that this particular Ford Granada was his fathers, one owner and was the Ford Scorpio and was the 3.0 litre. I was curious at that point the 3.0L Granada engine was changed to the 2.8L in the late 70's / early 80's - And this was a 1991 hatch model. So i arranged to drive over and take a look. Nice car i thought to myself, Silver and full leather electric seats front AND back, Great sound system and less than 45k on the clock.
I asked to look under the bonnet and written on the engine was the best narrative i ever saw ( COSWORTH 24v ) !!

Up to this point i never knew that Cosworth had their dabs on the V6 Granada Scorpio.

I immediately rang my insurance company and the price was the same as my 1984 2.8 Ghia X Granada.....

This was the best V6 car i ever owned, and by the standards of the day it was quite quick.

When the car came to the end of economic repair and i sold it on to an enthusiast i really really wanted another 24v V6 and searched high and low and looked at everything and oddly purchased something with that engine but was very heavy, uneconomic, quite slow and i loved it just as much - Enter the Mitsubishi Shogun 3.0L 24v ..... i owned this one for well over a decade and did over 200k in her....

I once had a Scorpio Cossie loan car when I dropped my 200SX at Power Engineering - it was one they'd bored and stroked to 3.7. Loved blasting around in that thing. I like the formula so much it led almost directly to my next car; a C43.

Nothing better that a large capacity V6 or V8. As you say, oodles of torque for pottering, grunt when you feel like wringing it out.

I keep my cars until they are almost dead, So my last throw of the dice probably for a 'fun' car ( I always have a practical car and a 'fun' car ) was something like the Mazda 2.0l Roadster, but with a lot more comfort - Enter the SL 500.
Driving fast and leaving my rear tyres all over the road at every junction has never interested me, i like smooth powerful torque which this car delivers in spades.

If i want to go fast i have my motorcycles! ( Well one of them is quite brisk the other is not! )
When Alfa stopped making the Busso V6 in 2005, Cosworth wanted to buy it but Alfa refused and destroyed all the tooling etc. A real shame as I think Cosworth would have done great things with it.

Nothing better that a large capacity V6 or V8. As you say, oodles of torque for pottering, grunt when you feel like wringing it out.

I have fond recollections of an E240 - I don't think grunt and torque .... or wringing .... were in its dictionary. But it was very smooth and calm in urban and suburban driving.

So smaller 6s and 8s had their place in the civilised world.

(When I was growing up Triumph had their small 6s and Daimler (as in the subverted Jaguar branch of the brand) had their small V8s.)

If you want a really small road going V8 in a sexy body shell you will go far to beat the ALFA Romeo Montreal...... just 2.6 silky smooth litres!
1000005775.jpg
1000005776.jpg

In 1975, Ferrari put the 2.0 L V8 engine in the Ferrari 208 GT4 to became the smallest production V8 engine ever produced.
1975_ferrari_208-gt4-dino_ferrari-dino-208-gt4-33-83383.jpg

That Alfa is pure class - I have a feeling that those are well above my pay grade!!

ISTR they forgot to fit working brakes to them, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom