Do you wait at Zebra crossings after the pedestrian has passed your side of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Hi all.

I was taught my driving lessons, that a zebra crossing gives pedestrians a permanent right of way, and that you are to wait until the pedestrian has completely left the crossing before setting off. He said, "What if the pedestrian stopped and turned around to walk back?"

Always made sense to me and so I've adhered to that ever since.

the logic is simple, if there is a pedestrian on the crossing, wait until there is no longer a pedestrian on the crossing.

I'm seeing more and more people setting off after the pedestrian has made it past half way, and even today somebody behind beeping because I didn't do so.

This could do with a poll.

What do you do? Wait; themz the rules. Or go; they've crossed my path now and I stopped in the first place to facilitate that.

Or is it the case that the rules changed to the more cautious approach and some didn't get the newsletter?

Last edited:
I play chicken with 'em...

:) :)

I always let them clear the complete crossing, and also wait for anyone very close to a light controlled crossing if there's a flashing amber.

Additionally, as I recall, once a pedestrian is in the road the motorist has to give way.

I put it in neutral and rev the engine, that soon sharpens their mind.

Also park as near to the kerb as possible too, stops the MAMILS undertaking.

Also park as near to the kerb as possible too, stops the MAMILS undertaking.

I keep well clear from the kerb - they can scratch the next person's car :crazy:.

Adopt the Continental approach, same with food/drink/sex now I think about it.

You are right you should wait until they have crossed,of course if there is a island on the zebra crossing then it counts as two crossings and so you do not have to stop until they reach the island,you raised the point that pedestrians have the right of way on zebra crossings,and so the old question where do you give way to pedestrians and the simple answer is everywhere including the fast lane of a motorway what you going to do kill them.

I go when they have cleared me...not quickly so as to run them over if they act stupidly and turn round...but I like to make progress.

I also will not stop for children to cross the road if there is not a crossing ...I believe that this will make children complacent and make them believe all cars will stop for them because the last one did...dead!

^ yes if there's an island, then no question. That's what it's for, to keep them safe while the other side clears/stops, but that then reinforces the argument to wait fully for those with no island.

I wait until they have a foot on the pavement

Though my worries are accidently running over cyclists who go through red lights, not jump them as they go red their side, but jus go through them as if the traffic light weren't there. :crazy:

^ yes if there's an island, then no question. That's what it's for, to keep them safe while the other side clears/stops, but that then reinforces the argument to wait fully for those with no island.

An island means there are two separate crossings.

Which means when they step on to the first crossing you can continue on...however when they are getting close to the island you should stop even when they haven't reached the island...because they are approaching it.

However, when they have passed in front of me I go as I said above.

The Highway Code doesn't state what to do.

Last edited:
I wait for them to cross unless it is an exceptionally wide road (not many in the UK though) at which point I may go if they are well into crossing the other side and even if they did turn around suddenly I would not cause an issue.

Whats an extra 10 seconds at the end of the day.

I was always taught (and still adhere to) the principle:

Once a pedestrian(s) is on a crossing (regardless of type, islands etc) you wait stationary, until they have completed their crossing.

Why? When the crossing is occupied it gives a message to other pedestrians that it is safe to use. Thereby encouraging others (children) to make a "last second dash for it". No different to open doors on a tube train.

As an aside. I was also taught that sitting revving your engine or bumping the clutch was simply bad manners and not to be done.

^ Hadn't thought of that. But that's the best argument yet. I'll keep that for if some git beeps me again. Although I know they'll just come back with "point to potential kid", and it'll be pointless arguing...

I was always taught (and still adhere to) the principle:

Once a pedestrian(s) is on a crossing (regardless of type, islands etc) you wait stationary, until they have completed their crossing.

Why? When the crossing is occupied it gives a message to other pedestrians that it is safe to use. Thereby encouraging others (children) to make a "last second dash for it". No different to open doors on a tube train.

As an aside. I was also taught that sitting revving your engine or bumping the clutch was simply bad manners and not to be done.

Agree 100% the bad manners, but for the rest, it all depends on the situation. If I can be confident that there are no other potential crossers approaching, I will usually start to ease forward once the pedestrian on the crossing has passed in front and is a few feet clear of me. I'm always cautious rather than press-on, though.

I wait unless there's an island

Where I live it's not 'busy' so it's the general thing, come to London though and that's absolutely out the window down there! I've see some near misses, everyone in a rush

Line them up with the centre of the star on the bonnet, if you miss them you may if your quick open your drivers door an still have a chance lol

In all seriousness i always wait until completely clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom