Ducati or Honda?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmn having just planned a 2000 mile trip to the south of France on Google I think I've answered my own question...

The Multistrada is in the ugly duckling camp for me I'm afraid...

The new one is a bit of a looker , if you have got the wonga.

Ducati-Multistrada-1-2014_zps92f22b5f.jpg

Kenny

For that sort of journey, how about a Moto Guzzi tourer?

2,000 MILES??!!
Then you need...........
9713_0_1_4_flstc%201340%20heritage%20softail%20classic_Image%20credits%20-%20JW.jpg

Stands back and waits for incoming...

P.S. It does come with panniers.

Did that (SofF tour) about fifteen years back on a Laverda 750 with a mate on a Guzzi 1000. He had a Doris on board so x4 as much luggage as me...but he managed to keep up easily enough even on the twisty bits, and it never missed a beat.
Just picked up a '92 750T Guzzi and I quite like it - Laverda actually made combine harvesters and it shows, but Guzzis just sound like tractors! Also very easy to work on so far, if that's a concern.

Vee twin ftw!

The Multistrada is in the ugly duckling camp for me I'm afraid...
As Kenny says, the new(er) ones look pretty good and they seem reliable enough too.

I think the question really comes down to what your appetite for touring is. If it's more of an aspiration than an expectation, then buy whatever you enjoy riding for a short blast and / or has the required pose value. If you really want to do some touring, then pick something that prioritises comfort, functional and reliability over style.

I'll throw in a wildcard: How about a ZZR1400? Ballistically quick, bulletproof reliability, all day comfort (if you're ok with the lean-forward position), and with hard panniers it makes a really great fast tourer.

Getting a Harley is just giving into old age! An 848 is great for a weekend plaything but to go touring in comfort it's a non starter unless you're jockey sized. I like the idea of a BMW GS but they're bloody massive, Triumph do some decent sports tourers but in the end i think you'll always come back to the VFR; there's a good reason they have the reputation they have.
Just remember that everyone has been out with weekend warriors on 1000cc Sports bikes who ride full throttle on the straights but then get overtaken by scooters through the twisty bits! Its all about the rider not the bike.

Mid-life crisis approaching I've decided to finally buy a motorbike for fair weather use and the odd road-trip to France. I've always loved the Honda VFR but if you're going to have a weekend toy why not a Ducati :D? I'm thinking 2009ish Honda VFR800 or Ducati 848 for about £5k give or take.

I'm not looking for thrills and speed - just something usable and for a bit of fun. Any thoughts from experienced bikers?

Of your proposals this is the easiest decision you are ever going to make,,,,,if you plan to ride as your first paragraph suggests its the VFR all the way......if you want thrills and speed though its got to be the Ducati.....the difference between the two is immense so I would suggest you ride both first before making as choice.....

ATB:thumb:

Back in 1980 I treated myself to a MHR, prior to this my machines had been all British, the Duke was an absolute joy, the brembos could stop it like you'd hit a wall, the handling was superb,and the exhaust note like thunder. I sold it because of my wife Three Horses, no she isn't of north American ancestry, it was because of nag,nag,nag, sell that bike before you kill yourself.

I had a Ducati and sold it to get a VFR800. The Ducati was uncomfortable and needed to be ridden hard. The VFR was without doubt the best bike I've ever owned. I commuted on it all year round, holidayed on it and thoroughly loved it. I've never been able to ride anything with as much confidence because it was such a balanced every day bike. I'm a firm believer that every rider should ride as much as possible to keep up their skills.
When I sold the bike I didn't buy another because I knew nothing else would be as good.
Two years later I bought a Harley Sportster. Not a patch on the Honda but slow enough to keep me from getting into trouble.
If it's character you want try a Harley, you may be surprised. If it's a really well sorted bike I think the VFR is unbeatable.

Thanks all. I'm going to go for a VFR800 as I've wanted one (a 750 as it was then) for almost 30 years. Given I change my car every year I can always get a Ducati if my requirements change.

Gear driven cams, not the vtec I hope.

If it's character you want try a Harley, you may be surprised. If it's a really well sorted bike I think the VFR is unbeatable.

By character, I presume you mean glacial performance, woeful build quality and less refinement than a stay at Gitmo, wrapped up in a price tag that leaves your wallet feeling gang-raped? :eek:

Served well as an anachronistic giggle alongside the rest of the bikes in the garage though.

Bikes........cars with all the safe bits taken off........go for it, either one.

Thanks all. I'm going to go for a VFR800 as I've wanted one (a 750 as it was then) for almost 30 years. Given I change my car every year I can always get a Ducati if my requirements change.

I would urge you not to. I cannot speak for all variants of the VFR800, but I have ridden two, both had VTEC (and previously I owned a non-VTEC VFR750).

The clumsy and frankly absurd way that power comes in when the VTEC system is activated is terrible, especially if it kicks in as you are accelerating out of a corner. My non-VTEC VFR750 was heavy, with poor quality suspension, but was at least pleasant and predictable to ride.

I have a huge respect for all things Honda, both car and bike. But the VTEC VFR800 was a massive mistake and its a poor bike as a result. There are countless better bikes out there.

Also owned Ducatis in the past. Love them but frankly I got way too familiar with the local AA man. I don't buy them anymore but I do keep tabs on a couple of committed owners who I know have similarly formed intimate relationships with the local recovery services operators.

Best bit of Ducati ownership is wheeling it out of the garage on a sunny day and admiring its beauty whilst drinking tea.

The early VTEC system I agree but it was revised for the 2006 model.

The 848 is a beautiful bike, but I don't think I could spend 2 weeks and 2000 miles on it to be honest.

Also owned Ducatis in the past. Love them but frankly I got way too familiar with the local AA man. I don't buy them anymore but I do keep tabs on a couple of committed owners who I know have similarly formed intimate relationships with the local recovery services operators.

Best bit of Ducati ownership is wheeling it out of the garage on a sunny day and admiring its beauty whilst drinking tea.

I have a Ducati 996 (2001) and have had it for 4 years now, it's never failed me, apparently newer ones are even better than the older variants for reliability.

I do agree that one of the best bits of owning a Ducati though, is wheeling it out of the garage and admiring it, the other best bit is riding it, just awesome power and torque delivery at all speeds.

I've had my ZZR-1100 for 21 years now (from new) and that's never missed a beat either, I've never owned a Honda so can't comment on the VFR, but would highly recommend a Kawasaki, especially a ZZR-1100, ZZR-1200 or an early ZZR-1400 for touring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom