Dustbin Lids ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They just look unfinished, like they were removed from the milling machine too early!

Darren

They're nondescript to me, that makes them expensive too. But, I do think they may suit a certain car, possibly a full blown custom machine. And as mentioned they sure are not going to assist brake cooling.

definately different. i dont like them or hate them. nobody can argue that they are unique cant say ive ever seen a set for sale

Reminded me of this:

images

Maybe they are for pimping and don't require cooling that wheel venting affords...

Looking kind of familiar.

180707-0096-cit.jpeg

774.jpg

These don't suffer with brake fade.

The grey car picture is from http://www.caroftheyear.org/previous-winners/1990_1/coty which is about car of the year, which the XM was in 1990...(convincingly beating the mercedes SL... :p
talking of which, has anybody seen April edition of practical Classics magazine...?

Last edited:
These don't suffer with brake fade.

Why is that, nobody drives them quick enough, bar of course the late great LJKS? ;)

I presume if the brakes don't get airflow from the outside the wheel, they get extra flow from within, maybe some extra ducting or such like? Or, is simply the brake set up is less prone to fade due to the pressure regulation system?

Why is that, nobody drives them quick enough, bar of course the late great LJKS? ;)

I presume if the brakes don't get airflow from the outside the wheel, they get extra flow from within, maybe some extra ducting or such like? Or, is simply the brake set up is less prone to fade due to the pressure regulation system?

I don't think there is any particular reason, they are standard brakes. The only difference is the fluid never boils.

Alloy wheels are good at conducting heat, so brake fade is probably less of an issue with the ones for sale.

Alloy wheels are good at conducting heat, so brake fade is probably less of an issue with the ones for sale.

Yes, indeed. But that didn't stop M-B among most other manufacturers producing alloys that were designed to draw in air to assist cooling the brakes. So, I can only presume that solid alloys are a disadvantage even on a normal road car. By how much is probably anybodies guess.

Yes, indeed. But that didn't stop M-B among most other manufacturers producing alloys that were designed to draw in air to assist cooling the brakes. So, I can only presume that solid alloys are a disadvantage even on a normal road car. By how much is probably anybodies guess.

Have you got any examples of mb wheels that do this?
I can't think of any off the top of my head apart from SLR wheels but they were designed to extract air from under the car for high speed stability, nothing to do with brake cooling.
Most cars from early 90s onwards have had ducting from the front bumper to the brakes and the ducting has grown as the years have gone on.

Have you got any examples of mb wheels that do this?

M-B 15 slot of the top of my head. As for other manufactures there's no doubt many that had alloys developed to aid brake cooling. Porsche & Lancia spring to mind. Have a Google I'm sure you'd find more.

I am guessing at the Copthorne Hotel ;ˆ)

Brown Suit - Serious wardrobe malfunction.

Citreon haed office a few hundred meters away too. They were clearly on a budget on that one!

Standing on one leg for the arty shot. How long before he toppled over.

What a great looking car. Funny at the time I didn't like the look (of the car or the suit) but now I love the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom