e class remote parking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xant14

Car
ROVER 75, 2015 CLS350 Shooting Pigeons
I have seen the youtube vid of parking the new E-Class using the mobile phone. I know that you have to have the 360 camera option on the car for this to happen, but does anyone know if this is working in the UK?
All dealers that I have spoken to just dismiss it.

My 2013 W212 facelift has auto parking without a camera, it just uses the ultrasonic sensors. It works fine - drive up to a space, it indicates it's found one, press OK and you work the throttle and brake while it does the rest.

I'd only raise three issues. Firstly, it's not always so smart with perpendicular spaces, if it's not sure there is one it drives past.

Next, parallel parking. It takes a really extreme (for me) angle to come in at and you're certain it's going to clip the car in front, but it doesn't. But the end result is that it parks about 3" from the kerb, which is an insult to my manhood.

Overall it's a good system.

As well as having the 360 camera I think you have to buy a subscription for use of the remote park function as well, although the first 3 years might be included on an E class?

Check out the options shop online? Might give a clue. Not sure quite how useful it actually is in real life though TBH. Nice gimmick for sure though.

I just ordered this feature on a e-class estate. Both the 360 camera and premium pack is required. Only uncertainty is if the app is actually included FOC for first three years. I have spoken to a few dealers and no one can be definitive on the latter. I will find out when I collect the car.

I got my E350D 1st March. They enabled remote locking etc but if I want the remote parking, I was told categorically I would have to pay. The good news is that it has been reduced to £89 for 3 years. I still haven't got round to ordering it but I am sure I will. If you do, let us know if you think it is of any practical use.

Coincidentally was looking at this today for my car and seeing if it was already enabled" - it wasn't. It looks like after payment the service is enabled on cars over the air - so a Mercedes Me account and data connectivity in the car is needed. If so, it's annoying as the car *already has* the capability (hardware/software) but that MB will change a config flag to tell it to work. I'm going out on a limb as I don't know how MB systems work internally, but that's my take on it having read the public docs.

Note: the MB website says that the remote parking system only works with iOS - so buyer beware if you have an Android phone! It's confusing as there is actually an official MB Android app and i have it installed - see screenshot - but I couldn't get it to work today. Crazy MB have an app in Play Store but embedded in small print on their official website they say, in effect, it shouldn't be there and it won't work!

Here's the link and price list.
https://shop.mercedes-benz.com/en-gb/connect/pdp/Remote-Park-Pilot/529
f56ff850ee12877a1d0eb4dd1004e4d1.jpg

* as it was bought from new recently.
c8451097bfcf381f619685471ca27084.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
£89 for three years? Come on its just a gimmick!
It would get used two or three times to show your wife ,neighbors and work mates and would then be forgotten about.
Each to their own of course but a fool and his money springs to mind.

I wonder how tight a space these will allow a car to be parked in ?

I can foresee people using it to park in spaces where it would be awkward to park the car and open doors to get in/out - in fact isn't this the advertised convenience of it ?

But what about the occupants of the cars on either side who don't have this feature - they return to find that some 'tard in his posh car has parked so close they can barely get in - or maybe can't - this is going to be a recipe for door dings , getting paintwork keyed , or scrapes as the other driver drives off .

If you can't park and get out easily yourself - you're too close .

Delayed Steve said:
£89 for three years? Come on its just a gimmick! It would get used two or three times to show your wife ,neighbors and work mates and would then be forgotten about. Each to their own of course but a fool and his money springs to mind.

I remember my old man paying £2000+ for night vision on his s class and then using it twice, if that. A gimmick he didn't need but wanted so he could experience the advanced technology of his times. I think he'd pay £89 to watch his own pride and joy park itself just for the amazement of it.

I know I'd do it.

I seem to remember Pierce Brosnan had a phone that controlled his BMW. Regardless, I'd still want to be behind the wheel of the car I am controlling.

(Or is the car controlling me?)

Yep, I agree £89 is stupid for a feature that would hardly get used. However, as gunning said, a lot of people will buy it just for the amazement value. On a serious note, it would be useful with babies being put into prams and old people in wheel chairs where you don't want to leave them outside the car while you finish parking.

But come on Mercedes, a £50k car and you can't afford to give this feature away (which costs you nothing).

MichaelK said:
But come on Mercedes, a £50k car and you can't afford to give this feature away (which costs you nothing).

Exactly, this is the joke! Technology that is already there and waiting then you have to pay for it? Even though you've already paid premiums on other extras to get it to have that!

I seem to remember Pierce Brosnan had a phone that controlled his BMW. Regardless, I'd still want to be behind the wheel of the car I am controlling.

(Or is the car controlling me?)

Yes , it was one of the early Nokia 'communicators' or somesuch - the BMW had a few interesting options .

Yep, I agree £89 is stupid for a feature that would hardly get used. However, as gunning said, a lot of people will buy it just for the amazement value. On a serious note, it would be useful with babies being put into prams and old people in wheel chairs where you don't want to leave them outside the car while you finish parking.

There will be security issues , with the remote app being able to start and presumably open the car , besides you don't want the previous owner of your used car being able to come along with his phone and be off with it - also an issue for used car dealers .

My 2013 W212 facelift has auto parking without a camera, it just uses the ultrasonic sensors. It works fine - drive up to a space, it indicates it's found one, press OK and you work the throttle and brake while it does the rest.

I'd only raise three issues. Firstly, it's not always so smart with perpendicular spaces, if it's not sure there is one it drives past.

Next, parallel parking. It takes a really extreme (for me) angle to come in at and you're certain it's going to clip the car in front, but it doesn't. But the end result is that it parks about 3" from the kerb, which is an insult to my manhood.

Overall it's a good system.

Hi. Is this not the parktronic your referring to?

Hi. Is this not the parktronic your referring to?

I think parktronic is just the sensors beeping, this is active park assist. I had my dealer demo it on my car for me. I think i could park easier but it does work, only slowly. It has some faults also as it measures the car in front and behind and if they are on the curb then you will be also...With curbed rims!!

dc032ca78598568506b10015b14a6ac2.jpg

Saves my car from idiots ... I now choose these small narrow spaces where ever possible ....

Originally I thought it was a gimmick but now use it more often that I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saves my car from idiots ... I now choose these small narrow spaces where ever possible ....

You'd be truly stuck if your phone battery died while you were away from the car :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom