E220 CDI, great mpg!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is the what I achived best with my 2001 E320 cdi, converted into gallons it is 60 mpg

Attachments

• IMG-20110611-00059.JPG
    IMG-20110611-00059.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 84
Great results for such big cars.

I'll do the top up method and see how far out the computer is.

Fah320, I'm jealous of your outside temp reading, I'm just getting into double figures with that one!!

Thanks
Mark

Don't want to be negative here but looking at the photo of your dash readout noticed it showed 2hrs engine running average speed of 52mph and 104 miles covered so I'm guessing you reset it as you hit the motorway no town driving and quite positively the engine was at temp by then. So you hit the cruise control at probably 55 to 60 mph allowing for maybe having to break once or twice on the journey. Although its a great figure it isn't really the true mpg of the journey yeah it looks great but just think by you artificially manipulating it you are going to get others believing their cars are under performing. Also gotta say 52 average speed on an obviously clear motorway quite possibly in the middle of the night .not sure I'd have the restraint to keep it that slow all the way there and back.

Don't want to be negative here but looking at the photo of your dash readout noticed it showed 2hrs engine running average speed of 52mph and 104 miles covered so I'm guessing you reset it as you hit the motorway no town driving and quite positively the engine was at temp by then. So you hit the cruise control at probably 55 to 60 mph allowing for maybe having to break once or twice on the journey. Although its a great figure it isn't really the true mpg of the journey yeah it looks great but just think by you artificially manipulating it you are going to get others believing their cars are under performing. Also gotta say 52 average speed on an obviously clear motorway quite possibly in the middle of the night .not sure I'd have the restraint to keep it that slow all the way there and back.

Stumbled over this old post and wanted to set the record straight.

The trip computer was reset before we pulled off the drive and had approx 10-15 mins journey time on normal roads before hitting the motorway.
The journey was started at around 8:30am so hardly empty roads.
The first portion of the motorway was at 70ish but realising we were going to be very early I took the opportunity to see what figure I could acheive.
No manipulation of figures took place.
At the time the car had done around 115000 miles and has a full MB service history.
The car now has 132000 miles and still delivers 45-50mpg on the route to work (A roads/motorway/country lanes mix).
Whilst I haven't bettered the 60mpg figure I have come close a few times.

And yes it does require a lot of self restraint!!!!

Thanks
Mark

hi mark need to get in touch with you mate as I need to ask some detailing advice and book my car via SL shop for a detail but i cant send you a pm

Mark I believe you.
I`ve done 184,000 and recently went from Wirral to Fallingbostal in Germany.
750 miles in two days of mixed motoring and the OBC showed 58.3 for the entire journey, which allowing for an error rate of 8% equated to 53/54 mpg.

Regards

I`ve done 184,000 and recently went from Wirral to Fallingbostal in Germany.
750 miles in two days of mixed motoring and the OBC showed 58.3 for the entire journey,

In my then peugeot 406TD I did home to the Danish border, so 850 miles, in 14 hours one Friday, used the car to travel round Denmark, then back home three days later. No local journeys done.

Round trip mpg...32...:D

Took my son down to London in S212 220CDI, less than 1000miles on odo, averaging 80knots, around 450niles return, average 48mpg+
Attention assist came on 3 times :D

Took my son down to London in S212 220CDI, less than 1000miles on odo, averaging 80knots, around 450niles return, average 48mpg+
Attention assist came on 3 times :D

Averaging 92.2mph (80 knots)...that's very good.

I know it isn't the same car but my W204 C200 CDi is quite impressive on fuel stats.....if nothing else! My trip computer usually shows my average MPG at around 55 MPG but using the top up, divide the miles covered by the number of litres then multiplying by 4.55 constantly returns my figures at 52-53MPG.

Hi I'm a newbie aswell got a e220 07 plate i daily do 100 mile trip to work and back , and i mainly get min 47mpg and the highest ive seen is 54.3mpg

I always use regular shell diesel .

on my old W210 E220 got 47mpg cruising at 95 to 100mph in germany & averaged 41/42 over about 60,000 miles,best i ever got was 62.3 mpg when trying hard which i feel is not bad for such a big car,just bought a E250 Avant. W212 2011 year,hope it is a bit better,it is a lot quicker though,love it.

Merty said:
Hi I'm a newbie aswell got a e220 07 plate i daily do 100 mile trip to work and back , and i mainly get min 47mpg and the highest ive seen is 54.3mpg I always use regular shell diesel .

Just beat that

image-208813817.jpg

I once managed 21.3 mpg :) . Some of the above figures are astonishing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Yes indeed David, however, only on the steepest of hills. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

2010 e230 blue efficiency sport

Hi all. I'm new to MB. 2 weeks ago we bought our most expensive purchase ever a E220 blue efficiency sport diesel auto, with 35,000 miles. Runs like a dream and was told how great they are on fuel. I do about 12 miles to work and the same journey home. I'm getting at best 30mpg but more often than not 25-27mpg, on a full tank it's done just over 450 miles.

Prior to this I had a 2008 nissan primastar van which had tools etc in the back and this was giving better economy.

As i say the car run like a dream but this economy is terrible. Are there any issues you know of why this would be happening?
Thanks
Neil

Neilwalker1 said:
Hi all. I'm new to MB. 2 weeks ago we bought our most expensive purchase ever a E220 blue efficiency sport diesel auto, with 35,000 miles. Runs like a dream and was told how great they are on fuel. I do about 12 miles to work and the same journey home. I'm getting at best 30mpg but more often than not 25-27mpg, on a full tank it's done just over 450 miles. Prior to this I had a 2008 nissan primastar van which had tools etc in the back and this was giving better economy. As i say the car run like a dream but this economy is terrible. Are there any issues you know of why this would be happening? Thanks Neil

With ambient temps near freezing and a 12 mile run, I wouldn't expect much over 30.

However your full tank range suggests an overall average of just over 40 mpg.

My 5 speed auto 220 never did much over 40. Nothing like the 50 plus from newer 7 speeders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom