E500 S212 2011 100k for £11k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went up to Birmingham today from Wimbledon. 30mpg

2008 S211 5.5 litre. M273

Simple 297 mile round trip: A3 / M25 / M40

8am out, back by 6pm, so “clerical” rush hour both ends

IMG_1812.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you talking about the M273? If so I'm astounded you can see close to 30mpg 😂 I've seen high 27s at very best even driving conservatively. It's possibly worse than my M157 with double the power. Admittedly S vs E class.

What speed were you cruising on the motorways?

That's 29.4mpg as a door to door figure from London to Leeds and back. Includes all the urban stuff at either end and a few periods of stop-start on the M1 at various places.

If I just measured the motorway part, I'd be getting something like 33 on the southern speed-controlled sections of the M1 and 29/30 at an indicated 80. Occasionally hitting 85/90.

Distronic helps as it smooths the throttle inputs and removes the temptation to punt it. Which I tend to do if I'm controlling the speed.

29.4 v2.jpg

Impressive. I must be doing something wrong! I'll try a lighter foot next time.....
Trust me, I drive as fast as I can in the prevailing traffic.

The V8, that gearbox and modern fuel systems are pretty clever things.

The top fuel consumption tip, for any vehicle, is just to anticipate. Ease off the throttle ton let the car slow itself down, rather than brake. Accelerate just enough to get you where you want to be - there's no sense in flooring it to get stuck five metres behind a Traaaannzzzit. (OK, and use the V8 to overtake those two women chatting to one another at a steady 55)

There's a time to brake fast into a bend on the A272 and floor it out, especially in a GR Yaris / Mx5 / FIAT 500, but not so much on a 300 miles errand along the M40 / M25.

Trust me, I drive as fast as I can in the prevailing traffic.

The V8, that gearbox and modern fuel systems are pretty clever things.

The top fuel consumption tip, for any vehicle, is just to anticipate. Ease off the throttle ton let the car slow itself down, rather than brake. Accelerate just enough to get you where you want to be - there's no sense in flooring it to get stuck five metres behind a Traaaannzzzit. (OK, and use the V8 to overtake those two women chatting to one another at a steady 55)

There's a time to brake fast into a bend on the A272 and floor it out, especially in a GR Yaris / Mx5 / FIAT 500, but not so much on a 300 miles errand along the M40 / M25.
One quirk I did realise is how the e500 with cruise brakes to bring back down to say 70 after a quick blip on the throttle to get round those women having a chat. Odd quirk that wouldn't help with mpg, so found myself clicking off the cruise after the blip and catching it back on again just before, in this example, the 70 I was cruising at.
It caught me off guard the first time I was north of 80 and came off the throttle after moving back in and the system then brakes right back down.
Now my transit doesn't brake at all so cruise at 70 ends up around 78 downhill and it is what it is, but both the GR and my wife's 520d will let the cruise catch when coming down organically, yet both will brake to maintain set speeds when going downhill.
Merc quirk perhaps and as I say a game of catch the cruise ensues

Is the S class that much heavier? Maybe that's why I see a little less...?

Is the S class that much heavier? Maybe that's why I see a little less...?
I saw similar numbers in my 2006 W221 S500L (5.5) when I was did about 30k in it.

They're similar weights: basically a couple of tonnes, with fuel and driver.

Obviously, if you're in an AMG the consumption will be close to 20 mpg, not 30 mpg. (They call it AMG tax)

How much urban driving and short runs do you do? That's the biggest mpg killer.

I saw similar numbers in my 2006 W221 S500L (5.5) when I was did about 30k in it.

They're similar weights: basically a couple of tonnes, with fuel and driver.

Obviously, if you're in an AMG the consumption will be close to 20 mpg, not 30 mpg. (They call it AMG tax)

How much urban driving and short runs do you do? That's the biggest mpg killer.
Yeah thought they were about the same weight.
I do not urban driving really. Usually just used on. 65 mile commute. I guess congestion on the motorway and start stop hits the mpg. And I suppose I do often cruise a little faster than I should...

Not so sure about the AMG tax though, my M157 is pretty similar. I average almost 25mpg over 30k miles and that includes much much faster driving than in my S500, so can't complain.

How many miles are you guys travelling per annum?

Seems strange to worry about a few mpg here and there whilst running 5+ litre V8s.

Honestly who cares if it does 27mpg or 30mpg or 32mpg, it can only be a few hundred quid tops per year? :)

Not worried at all. Just interested. I have cars that see high teens at best, so I'm very happy with mid 20s!

Although I recently bought a car which does 40mpg and am still fairly excited about it.

How many miles are you guys travelling per annum?

Seems strange to worry about a few mpg here and there whilst running 5+ litre V8s.

Honestly who cares if it does 27mpg or 30mpg or 32mpg, it can only be a few hundred quid tops per year? :)
Also not worried, it's just work will cover 25ppm which works out break even at around 27.6mpg :)

Picked some of the 6 spoke amg alloys for the car, having a refurb, getting the bumper fixed and resprayed next month, fitted the newer style grille (star in the middle, probably has a specific term) and bonnet badge instead of the upright star, tints (moderate no drug dealer limo tint!), couple of k&n filters, and last job will be an exhaust mod in the style of Login • Instagram for a throatier sound.

Interestingly I see what you all mean about poverty spec on the options now having done some research, thankfully I'm not too bothered about blinds, cooled seats etc, memory function would have been nice, but quite happy anyway with this car. Did have a bit of reverb/judder but turned out to be alignment rather than the issue of engine mounts I've been reading up on.

Still don’t understand what difference it really makes whether or not you’re getting 25p/mile. If cost was a concern you’d be looking at a more economical car, you buy a
V8 because you want one, not because you need one! :)

25p/mile makes it very economical for commuting, though; 0p/mile...

25p/mile makes it very economical for commuting, though; 0p/mile...

And if it cost a little more than 25p would that really be an issue? 😊

I just don’t get the obsession with mpg figures for old 5+ litre V8 Mercedes cars? 😅

I don't think it's obsession... From my perspective just interest in what others get from their similar cars. I like stats, I like cars. Seems logical to be interested to me 🤓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom