E53 or something else

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
I’ve been sitting on this for about a year now and still can’t make up my mind.

I don’t think I’m ready for electric yet, but the rumours that electric sales will overtake everything else in the next 3 years keeps niggling me. I currently have a 2014 E350 estate and I tell you what; it’s the best car I have owned...never misses a beat. But it could be time for something newer.

i’ve been considering the E53 equivalent, looking to hold onto it for about 4-5 years. I don’t buy new, so something 2-3 years old.

Is it worth it? should I bow down to electric early? or get something else; maybe something more economical? It will be our family run around, although in the summer we tend to use my wife’s convertible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I hear your concerns. I have been in exactly the same situation - owning the same car since 2016, which as you mention, is the best car I have owned too. I bought it outright as a keeper and so am wondering what to do. I know that there are lots of advocates for going electric / hybrid out there but there are serious issues about the charging infrastructure and battery tech that doesn’t seem to have moved forwards that much in the past four years. As has been said here before, it comes down to personal usage (having access to a home charger set up / miles driven each week etc.

I recently looked at buying a new petrol e200 estate ( about £55K) but didn’t like the engine that much - the 53 would be a lot more fun. An EQC might be an option although I need a big load space and this would represent quite a sacrifice in that regard. Decisions.

I hear your concerns. I have been in exactly the same situation - owning the same car since 2016, which as you mention, is the best car I have owned too. I bought it outright as a keeper and so am wondering what to do. I know that there are lots of advocates for going electric / hybrid out there but there are serious issues about the charging infrastructure and battery tech that doesn’t seem to have moved forwards that much in the past four years. As has been said here before, it comes down to personal usage (having access to a home charger set up / miles driven each week etc.

I recently looked at buying a new petrol e200 estate ( about £55K) but didn’t like the engine that much - the 53 would be a lot more fun. An EQC might be an option although I need a big load space and this would represent quite a sacrifice in that regard. Decisions.
When viewed from afar the answer is clear. You’re not keen on the charging infrastructure and battery technology associated with EVs: You’re not keen on the engine in the ICE car you like; You bought your current car outright as it would be a keeper.

So keep it. No decision necessary. 👍🏻

I’ve been sitting on this for about a year now and still can’t make up my mind.

I don’t think I’m ready for electric yet, but the rumours that electric sales will overtake everything else in the next 3 years keeps niggling me. I currently have a 2014 E350 estate and I tell you what; it’s the best car I have owned...never misses a beat. But it could be time for something newer.

i’ve been considering the E53 equivalent, looking to hold onto it for about 4-5 years. I don’t buy new, so something 2-3 years old.

Is it worth it? should I bow down to electric early? or get something else; maybe something more economical? It will be our family run around, although in the summer we tend to use my wife’s convertible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you’re really happy with your current car, and you really don’t know which car you would replace it with - or even whether it would be EV or ICE - just stick with what you have until you know what’s right for you 👍🏻

I’ve never owned a car for so long. I usually replace after 3-4 years, so just got a little itch.

What I like about my car is I can fit my mountain bike in the boot with ease. I also travel to Scotland every other year from the south and on occasions, drive to the South of France on holiday. I can stick it in cruise control (140-150kph) with the boot full to capacity and 4 people in the car and you would think you were driving on your own with nothing in it, and no worries about range.

Anyone have real life mileage/ consumption figures for an E53? The reason I ask is (and it’s really odd for me because consumption is usually at the bottom of my list when it comes to selecting a car) but again I’m wondering what the range would be compared to an electric car.

My E350 I always said would be my first and last diesel. I love it’s punch, but prefer the smooth drive of a petrol.

I can see the positives of electric, it’s not often I drive more than 100+ miles in a day, but the range anxiety and woes around the lack of infrastructure turn me off a little. Could I get away with electric for my daily run around and hire a car for long distances, sort of thing….

These are the sort of things on my mind.

This line gives you the answer you seek - you're clearly after a car that is higher up on the 'fun'' scale of driving, which you won't get from an EV - so its a no brainer surely?

Remember, 'Electric cars have no soul', so get yourself a petrol replacement and be done with it! :D

I’ve never owned a car for so long. I usually replace after 3-4 years, so just got a little itch.

What I like about my car is I can fit my mountain bike in the boot with ease. I also travel to Scotland every other year from the south and on occasions, drive to the South of France on holiday. I can stick it in cruise control (140-150kph) with the boot full to capacity and 4 people in the car and you would think you were driving on your own with nothing in it, and no worries about range.

Anyone have real life mileage/ consumption figures for an E53? The reason I ask is (and it’s really odd for me because consumption is usually at the bottom of my list when it comes to selecting a car) but again I’m wondering what the range would be compared to an electric car.

My E350 I always said would be my first and last diesel. I love it’s punch, but prefer the smooth drive of a petrol.

I can see the positives of electric, it’s not often I drive more than 100+ miles in a day, but the range anxiety and woes around the lack of infrastructure turn me off a little. Could I get away with electric for my daily run around and hire a car for long distances, sort of thing….

This is just my opinion but I have not heard a compelling argument to switch away from a car that you have already stated is the best car you have ever owned. How about giving it another 3 years of enjoyable driving if you really don't have to switch. Just a suggestion.

Hi , A few weeks ago I hired a Tesla for a long weekend. I enjoyed the car but as an old guy I did not particularly enjoy using the computor screen dash board.

Great ride , fast and comfortable, but however I did not have a range anxiety as such but on the M1 the Tesla charging were full and a queue was building up.

A friend of mine has two electric cars , a small BMW and a Tesla.He is fortunate that he has a high speed charging unit.He uses his baby BMW for local trips and his Tesla for long distant work.

He is a convert to electric cars but admits a annual high mileage driver such as a company representative could struggle depending on usage , to carry out a full day's work.

I would keep E350 as no one know the residual prices and long term car insurance costs for EVs.

I've been struggling in a similar way with regards to my E500 estate. I did have a good look at E43's but just couldn't see my self in a car with red seatbelts and black wheels. And, reportedly, a pretty harsh ride.

I've decided to sit tight for another year or so. What I'd REALLY like to get next is a late Jag XK 5.0. 2013/14. That's about peak car in my book. Nice fat V8, comfortable ride, relatively simple.

I sit on the fence with the EV revolution, i have a fleet of 4 Nissan eNV200 vans and have run them for 8 years and they are great at what they do. However when i decided to change my weekend summer fun car for something else and EV didn't enter the thought process ( Enter the SL500 ), and when my trusty old general 'everything' vehicle needing replacing ( Venerable Nissan X-trail diesel ) i did look at secondhand EV's ...... and purchased a nice Honda CR-V ....

One day i may be forced to change, but for now i am enjoying the cars i currently have whilst i can.

As mentioned before by other posters, if you are happy with your current car then keep it, although i do get the E53 urge though ....:)

A friend has the long range Model Y. It looks bland, but performance wise, it’s very similar to my wife's car although the instant acceleration gives it the edge on the straight, which got me thinking about other EV’s. What surprised me the most, is although he’s not paying tax (yet), his insurance is £800!

I only have one gripe with my car. It’s the AMG Sport, but it doesn’t have lumbar support; which is a problem for my wife on long journeys. It doesn’t help that she has the luxury of memory seats with the fully adjustable air system In hers. I know I could sell the wife instead, but the boys wouldn’t be too happy😜

E53 wagon owner here. I’ve had mine for 13 months and it’s my daily (90mile commute). Prior to the E53, I had a brand new E220 wagon diesel for 2years. The E220 felt like a tool compare to the E53 and I have no regrets. I opted for the pre face as I wanted a Q car. The power is great, love the switacable exhaust and I can get 35mpg on a commute at that’s doing 70mph by the way. Great car, does the family duties with dog and luggage in the boot.in my option it’s the best blend between performance and daily use as I was considering the E63 beforehand. Love the way it stop start work, so seamless with none of that starter motor business kicking it. Another benefit is the cost of servicing is also palatable.

E53 wagon owner here. I’ve had mine for 13 months and it’s my daily (90mile commute). Prior to the E53, I had a brand new E220 wagon diesel for 2years. The E220 felt like a tool compare to the E53 and I have no regrets. I opted for the pre face as I wanted a Q car. The power is great, love the switacable exhaust and I can get 35mpg on a commute at that’s doing 70mph by the way. Great car, does the family duties with dog and luggage in the boot.in my option it’s the best blend between performance and daily use as I was considering the E63 beforehand. Love the way it stop start work, so seamless with none of that starter motor business kicking it. Another benefit is the cost of servicing is also palatable.
That’s great to know. Performance wise I love the E350, but prefer the 400. There’s no way the wife will agree to a 63 and I’m not looking for that sort of power; but she seems to be pretty accepting of ‘something a little more exciting’ so the 53 seemed like a good choice. What I didn't want however was to have to full it up every day...I may as well plug an EV in every night instead.

The E300De is interesting, but I really don’t want another diesel for various reasons and I don’t know much about other available engines.

From here to Aviemore it’s over 500 miles and I can do that with a full tank of diesel easily, and that’s with all the luxuries on like air con, heated seats, etc. If I can at least get beyond the border or better still near my destination with a single tank, I would be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom