E63 Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Just had a letter from MB this morning telling me that the car needs to go in for an issue. :mad:

Headed: Retrofit retaining clamps for edge guard (engine compartment seal)

I'm not typing all the letter out, but apparently there's a slight risk that this seal could come "partially detached from a partition panel". This could in turn cause it to come into contact with the exhaust, specifically the catalytic converter.

Don't think it will bother mine too much as my cats are upstairs at MSL, but thought I'd pop down anyway as my local dealership (MB Whitefield) have just opened up in their new premises. I went in my scruff (working today) but was still looked after very well, offered a coffee and told to have a look round while they found the service manager. Once found she came to me (we've met before) and told me it was nothing to worry about, and it would only affect the people who never open their bonnets. As mine's cleaned every time it goes out (her words) I'd be sure to notice.

Apparently it's the long seal which goes all round the top of the engine compartment, and would be pretty obvious if it were to come loose. Anyway, it will now be done on it's next service, which is three months away yet, so nothing to worry about, but if you do have an E63 and don't ever venture under the bonnet, it may be worth popping it in. Hopefully this statement won't apply to members here. ;)

Finally she started asking about the car, how it's running without the cats and how does it sound. She also explained how awkward and restrictive the OEM front pipes are. :eek: One clued up girl this, even explaining that the last one they did some work on they took the engine out to get to them. I've also still got my warranty apparently, though not on the exhaust system, which is nice. :D

Although I will have to swap the ECU over for the standard one before it goes in. :(

Great - just as I'm about to hit the runway :crazy:.

Mind you, if it's failure speed is 158mph I should (unfortunately) be ok.

Got my letter today and booked in. Shouldn't be an issue but would hate to have to dig it out of a hot engine if it fell in!:crazy:

CLS too, my letter arrived today.

Hopefully mine won't come loose tomorrow, that would be very inconvenient.

Not got my letter yet but I'll get on the blower to them and see whats what.

It's first MOT is due in a couple of months so prob get done then I'd hope.

Nothing to worry about as far as I can make out, just that the big rubber band thing needs stronger clips to hold it in place.

@Justin: E63 as far as I know (confirmed by Phil later) ETA: CLS too according to Robin.

@Dev John, don't worry mate, doesn't move under 180mph. :D

@c 200k: Not a thing to be concerned about according to my dealers. Just look for large bits of rubber hanging off it, if none then enjoy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom