Extreme ticking noise from underside - sound sample imside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alistairgd

Car
C180 AMG Sport Plus
My W204 has been doing this from new, as far as I can recall, but I think it is getting worse. I never complained before because my BMW 318 did the same before, but now it is annoying the hell out of me and does not sound right.

Everytime I park up after a drive, this is what I hear from the underside. I held my phone right up to the tailpipe, so it does sound a bit louder in this recording...

http://www.myqualityhost.com/ticking.m4a

Is this normal, or should I take it in before warranty expires?

Sounds like hot metal contracting as it cools… an exhaust heat shield cooling down perhaps.

Dec

Yeh that's what I thought, but I don't hear other cars doing it, so not sure if this is an issue worth checking at the dealer or not.

My car does that to, quite loudly as well. But nowhere near as impressively as yours. Must just mean you're driving it right :devil:

I have heard my own car do it occasionally, probably happens a lot more but I don’t notice it or I have walked away from the car before it starts.

Dec

My car does that to, quite loudly as well. But nowhere near as impressively as yours. Must just mean you're driving it right :devil:

Stick your ear up against the exhaust and yours will sound like mine. :thumb:

That's seems far too regular a noise to be an exhaust contracting. There are various electronic units maybe even the radiator cooled by fans which take some time to shut down maybe the fan blades of one of them is hitting the surround?

As above...that is not ticking, it is a rotary installation hitting something. A fan of some sort. Get under the car and pinpoint it...it shouldn't be difficult.

Sound like fan on shroud, let it happen again and push the shroud around, see what happens

New centre section getting replaced tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom