Fitting an aftermarket unit to a W208... am I being dense?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlbham

Car
2001 CLK430
Hi guys,

I previously raised an issue about my CD changer at http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/97628-no-cd-issue-w208-cd-changer.html#post1071939

I've decided that barring a miracle, I'm probably going to just replace the head unit with an all-singing-all-dancing unit and chuck the changer.

I have a 2 year old Kenwood unit from my last car, so I thought I'd do a 'dry run' of fitting a new head unit, before I spend hundreds on a new one. I connected it up to the Merc yesterday. Without the key, it wouldn't show any signs of life. With the key turned to position 2, the stereo made a noise (probably the CD ejection engine) then nothing (and no lights on the front).

Am I missing something here? Is there something special I need to do to fit an after market head unit in a Merc, which I didn't need to do in my last 2 cars?

Thanks in advance.
[P.S. Merc head unit still working fine, so I've not blown anything on the car before that's suggested!]

Can you not get another changer off Ebay ?

Most other MB fibre optic changers will fit , the part number doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Can you not get another changer off Ebay ?

Most other MB fibre optic changers will fit , the part number doesn't have to be exactly the same.

I'm not certain it's the changer....might be the head unit instead.

Also the merc changers are £'a lot' on ebay. Is there a list of changers compatible with my head unit somewhere? I seem to remember reading Alpine made compatible ones somewhere.

If I can get a changer for not very much, great......I just think that if i need to spend in the £200+ region I should go the whole hog and get something which ticks some of the other boxes of things i want (bluetooth, mp3).

I've got a brilliant Alpine for sale if your interested, in the for sale section :)

I got in touch with InCarTec today. Looks like the steering wheel control adapter is ~£110 all told. Add to that a new head unit for ~£120 and the 'replace the cd changer' option is looking more palatable.

Do you guys reckon a future buyer of the car will prefer an all-original audio set up, or one which has bluetooth, mp3 and a sub?

Thanks.

Depends wat sort of buyer it is. Some may just want a standard setup.

My steering interface was a official kenwood one which i got to work eventually and that only cost me £55

I got in touch with InCarTec today. Looks like the steering wheel control adapter is ~£110 all told. Add to that a new head unit for ~£120 and the 'replace the cd changer' option is looking more palatable.

Do you guys reckon a future buyer of the car will prefer an all-original audio set up, or one which has bluetooth, mp3 and a sub?

Thanks.

Did you manage to get the other one working? As I was having the EXACT same issue with an old Pioneer.

Did you manage to get the other one working? As I was having the EXACT same issue with an old Pioneer.

Tried it last night using new ISO harness adapter thing recommended by npuk.

There seems to be power to the Kenwood.... it accepts and ejects discs fine. It just won't switch on (even after resetting it).

I've looked at the ISO harness, and it appears to be USELESS (but thanks for the suggestion, npuk), as it seems to just be an extension....all the wires terminate at the same place in the ISO connector at either end.

I note that the red ignition wire is lacking on the Merc - could this be the issue? Guessing that's needed to tell the radio it's game time!

Also ,the red/green wire on the Merc connects to nothing on the ISO harness, so it doesn't get used - what's that wire for?

Cheers.

Last edited:
See if your Mercedes wirring matches any on this link: Mercedes Wiring It says pink/green is constant 12v

There are normally two supplies to these head units
one is a constant 12v [fused] =live all the time
the other is 12v switched [usually from a ignition switch related feed]
In some head units these are reversed from standard.
Get them the wrong way round and you start to get bizarre behavior as the unit loses memory power when the ignition is switched off.

There are normally two supplies to these head units
one is a constant 12v [fused] =live all the time
the other is 12v switched [usually from a ignition switch related feed]
In some head units these are reversed from standard ISO .
Get them the wrong way round and you start to get bizarre behavior as the unit loses memory power when the ignition is switched off.

I managed to find the changer AND my head unit on a classifieds site last night for less than £100 :eek:.

Bought today. Plugged in the changer...same NO CD issue.

So I used their head unit instead. Worked. :bannana:

The 'new' head unit is a little battered looking at the front (e.g. dented LCD screen), so I might see about leaving my old one for a day or two so all the power dissipates, then see if it works. I seem to remember reading a post which suggested this as a fix (might have been one of the other merc forums...sorry! lol :ban:).

Either way, I've abandoned the after market HU idea.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, particularly npuk.

P.S. Random observaton....the new head unit seems to be louder and produce more bass than the old one, despite being identical looking and the same model (Becker BE3100). And yes, the EQ settings are the same :D. Maybe it's just me.

I managed to find the changer AND my head unit on a classifieds site last night for less than £100 :eek:.

Bought today. Plugged in the changer...same NO CD issue.

So I used their head unit instead. Worked. :bannana:

The 'new' head unit is a little battered looking at the front (e.g. dented LCD screen), so I might see about leaving my old one for a day or two so all the power dissipates, then see if it works. I seem to remember reading a post which suggested this as a fix (might have been one of the other merc forums...sorry! lol :ban:).

Either way, I've abandoned the after market HU idea.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, particularly npuk.

P.S. Random observaton....the new head unit seems to be louder and produce more bass than the old one, despite being identical looking and the same model (Becker BE3100). And yes, the EQ settings are the same :D. Maybe it's just me.

Ever try re fixing your old one to see if it worked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom