Front tyres worn inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1hr1ci.jpg

Before and after

I know. Cant delete it either. Cant get it to work

go wider, should help with wear better. all 4's on mine worn on the inside first, had it re-aligned by mb to see if it was an alignment issue, it wasnt. just the normal camber on these cars.

Have you seen how much camber these cars run so what do you expect

We've just run into a similar issue with our E63 estate. It failed the MOT due to worn out front tyres on the inner edge.

Replaced the tyres and went for a Hunter alignment to find that everything was within OEM spec.!

Reading this thread has been good as we now know just to get on and accept it as part of the AMG experience and that there is nothing wrong with our car as such

Dave

My experience for what its worth is as follows:

I had this issue with my E63
I mentioned in a thread my front tyres were down to the banding on the inside with 3mm in the middle and 6mm tread left on the outside edge.
Cant remember what forum though.
My dealership told me that is normal due to the suspension setup of the cars.
Various people replied it wasnt and that my setup should be checked.
Several recommended wheels in motion chesham.
I emailed them and over the course of an email discussion they were adamant the wear wasnt right and there must be an issue.
I booked in and they checked the car setup completely.
The end result the setup was as Mercedes intended it, my dealership were giving me the correct info and any change to the camber settings would affect the handling :wallbash:
So a waste of time and money.

These cars run a lot of caster angle - about 11 degrees to promote straight line stability and self centring. It also causes increased wear on the inside edge when you wind lock on as negative camber increases with increased camber. 2 degrees negative camber isn't that much on its own, but it is when combined with that much caster angle.

Steering geometry is a trade-off, and lots of caster means you're less likely to side-swipe another car if you sneeze at high speed on the autobahn. The steering would feel a lot more responsive with less caster angle, but the car would tend to wander more at speeds. All Mercs seem to have a lot of camber, because that high speed stability has always been a characteristic of the marque.

Last edited:
I'd rather know my car was setup right than take the chance.

£100 is not a lot of money given what a set of tyres cost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom