General Poor Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

215m3

Car
C43 AMG
I have just been reading folks posting regarding to inconsiderate drivers, drivers with fog lights on all the time etc.

My main bug bear is folk not using the nearside lane of dual carriageways and motorways.

There is a law in the highway stating that you must drive in the left lane

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

So why don't the police enforce this as it would help traffic flow?

I just tend to undertake as it is more dangerous to move from the 1st lane, to the 3rd or 4th and back again.

I know some folk will say this is dangerous, but it is safer as you have the emergency lane/hard shoulder to move to should the vehicle move to the left.

Most of the time those that stay in the middle lane have not even seen you approach. On my way home on Saturday up the M6 i seat leon drive did not move out the 3rd lane for the over 100 miles and folk just under took him.

second that!
it drives me mad when drivers do not use the lanes properly. it is part of the highway code.

I agree and understand your frustrations.
A word of warning though... a friend of mine got done for dangerous driving for undertaking!

I will sit behind a lane hogger, given enough time, and if they dont see me, will flash to let them know of my presence, if they still don't put their foot down to clear the road, or dont move over to the lane on the left, I would wait until it is 'safe' to undertake, sometimes even using the nearside lane, leaving a lane in between to undertake.

I have just been reading folks posting regarding to inconsiderate drivers, drivers with fog lights on all the time etc.

My main bug bear is folk not using the nearside lane of dual carriageways and motorways.

There is a law in the highway stating that you must drive in the left lane

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

So why don't the police enforce this as it would help traffic flow?

I just tend to undertake as it is more dangerous to move from the 1st lane, to the 3rd or 4th and back again.

I know some folk will say this is dangerous, but it is safer as you have the emergency lane/hard shoulder to move to should the vehicle move to the left.

Most of the time those that stay in the middle lane have not even seen you approach. On my way home on Saturday up the M6 i seat leon drive did not move out the 3rd lane for the over 100 miles and folk just under took him.

Why don't the police enforce even half the traffic laws.

The number of people driving around with headlights, taillights or brake lights out or fog lights on is a disgrace. I used to find it worse in London than the rest of the country but it seems the rest have caught up, don't know what it's like down there now.

I agree and understand your frustrations.
A word of warning though... a friend of mine got done for dangerous driving for undertaking!

I would take it they would need video evidence. If that's the case i would argue the point it is more dangerous someone sitting in the middle lane as they are unaware of what's going on around them most of the time.

To me sitting in the middle lane is more dnagerous.

If they are already driving at the limit, is it right to expect them to 'put their foot down'.?

Trouble is they generally aren't, the ones that are awake at least. Usually around 65/66 mph.

I find caution and patience helps...

Nope, why should they.

How exactly? I think the word you mean is 'inconvenient'.

Because they don't use the rear view mirrors, creat extra congestion and increased traffic build up.

Trouble is they generally aren't, the ones that are awake at least. Usually around 65/66 mph.

I find caution and patience helps...

'tis a limit and not a target ;)

Best way to clear a lane hogger, a flash or 2 of the lights to alert them to your presence.

Last edited:
Have some thoughts on this, having been ona dual carriageway today, patiently waiting behind a lorry to clear out of lane 2. A Mondeo decided to undertake (which I can just about live with) and then pulled in front of me (by about 6 inches only). I am sorry, but this sort of driving is dangerous, and my only regret was that there was no Police around to see the driving.

Used to have this problem a lot on the M4 heading west out of london early in the morning. I found the headlamp flash or the RH indicator had no effect - possibly encouraged the hogger to stand his ground (well, I guess I was driving a convertible from the dark side at the time:eek: ...not guaranteed to bring out the best in other drivers!).

Oddly, one technique that worked consistently well was to come up behind them (not too close - no tailgating necessary) so they knew you were there (perhaps a flick of the headlights etc) and then purposefully move into the next lane as if planning to undertake. About 70% of hoggers would then also move into the inner lane - maybe to try to block me off, I don't know - but then I'm foot down, overtaking them and away in the proper legal manner.

Used to have this problem a lot on the M4 heading west out of london early in the morning. I found the headlamp flash or the RH indicator had no effect - possibly encouraged the hogger to stand his ground (well, I guess I was driving a convertible from the dark side at the time:eek: ...not guaranteed to bring out the best in other drivers!).

Oddly, one technique that worked consistently well was to come up behind them (not too close - no tailgating necessary) so they knew you were there (perhaps a flick of the headlights etc) and then purposefully move into the next lane as if planning to undertake. About 70% of hoggers would then also move into the inner lane - maybe to try to block me off, I don't know - but then I'm foot down, overtaking them and away in the proper legal manner.

Aye, when I used to flash my lights in the X5 it was not uncommon for people to give me the middle finger as I passed. A lot of Mways in Scotland are two lane jobbies and hence there is no 3rd lane to do so.

Sometimes if someone is block lane 2, you could return to lane 1, flash the lights, then move back to lane 2 to try and indicate you want them to move over so you can do an overtaking manouver. Pointing (rather than indicating as that can cause confusion) towards the lane you want them to move into is another way...

How exactly? I think the word you mean is 'inconvenient'.
If they are already driving at the limit, is it right to expect them to 'put their foot down'.?
I suspect you're being provocative, but it's at best bad manners to unnecessarily obstruct the flow of traffic - which is what a lane hogger is doing - and whether they are travelling at the limit or not is irrelevant: it's not up to you, me or any other "joe public" motorist to block the path of other traffic. Apart from anything else, how does the ignorant a**hole sitting in lane 3 and refusing to move over when safe to do so know to what purpose the vehicle trying to overtake them is being put?

I've been a passenger in a marked traffic car on the M1 which was displaying blue lights and alternate flashing headlamps while travelling at a speed "somewhat in excess of 70mph" and many of the lane hoggers we came up behind were still oblivious to the obstruction they were causing. So was that poor driving or plain ignorance that caused them to obstruct the vehicle behind them? And whichever it was, why would the same behaviour in front of an unmarked vehicle be more acceptable?

BTW, they don't seem to have as much trouble with lane hogging in Spain as we do. Perhaps that's because over there you will get nicked for it.

I suspect you're being provocative, but it's at best bad manners to unnecessarily obstruct the flow of traffic - which is what a lane hogger is doing - and whether they are travelling at the limit or not is irrelevant: it's not up to you, me or any other "joe public" motorist to block the path of other traffic.

And it's not up to any bigotted motorist to expect another to speed up over the posted limit just so they can get somewhere faster.

I think you have misconstrued my post though, I didn't say the lane hoggers were in any way in the right..

I was once driving up the M3 very late at night. I was north of Fleet, in the left lane just crusing along. There was very little traffic, perhaps a half dozen cars over a couple of miles. In the distance in front of me was a single car in the MIDDLE lane!

I caught up with them and moved to the middle lane to overtake. I was about to move to the right lane to get past them when I saw something VERY fast in my mirror, so I stayed put. A Volvo T5 estate police car screams past us, pulls over to the middle lane, slows down to our pace... and turns on a sign in his rear window.

USE
LEFT
LANE
<---

After waiting for the person in the middle lane to pull over, he took off again and was gone. I completed the overtake in between laughing my backside off and being amazed that the police were actually bothered enough to do something about, and very glad they did!

Best way to clear a lane hogger, a flash or 2 of the lights to alert them to your presence.

I think the 'Psycho Flash' is about the best way...but you need to be determined..and quick on the brakes if they don't move over...:D

I personally think if you are one of those drivers who hog the Overtaking lane and dont let people pass (regardless of speeds), then you should get an instant ban and shouldn't be allowed to take your driving test for at least 10 years.

Aye, when I used to flash my lights in the X5 it was not uncommon for people to give me the middle finger as I passed.

I'm sorry but its no wonder they gave you the finger.

You shouldnt have been in the Mercedes lane anyway. :D

I wish I was brave enough to do what the Germans do. Just belt towards the offending individual at twice their speed with fogs and high beam on full tilt and show no sign of backing off. Then watch the lane hogs suddenly take an interest and move over. :devil:

I have to say, the faster the capabilities of the vehicle you're travelling in, the more frustrating motorways are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom