German Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
Out of idle curiosity, I wondered if the rankings in WhatCar would give us any information as to the German brands which dominate the best buys, or if it is all lies, dam lies and statistics?
WhatCar group the cars into 17 types, from small cars, through most other things, right up to performance cars and rank their top ten in each.
BMW feature the most cars in those rankings with twice the number that Mercedes have.

Giving each car points as awarded in F1, gives 25 for a category win down to 1 point for tenth, paints a slightly different picture.
Would anyone be brave enough to draw any conclusion from these numbers
:dk:

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 16.35.58.jpeg

Reactions: 190
Without reading the WhatCar reviews and the criteria they use to place each car, the conclusion I draw from the results is that they’re completely meaningless.

Hi ,
Out of idle curiosity, I wondered if the rankings in WhatCar would give us any information as to the German brands which dominate the best buys, or if it is all lies, dam lies and statistics?
WhatCar group the cars into 17 types, from small cars, through most other things, right up to performance cars and rank their top ten in each.
BMW feature the most cars in those rankings with twice the number that Mercedes have.

Giving each car points as awarded in F1, gives 25 for a category win down to 1 point for tenth, paints a slightly different picture.

View attachment 147917
Hi , no

No.

Product journalism in general tends to be be biased IME. There are a couple of reasons. One is the facilitation and access to product to review. The other is that the journals themselves are being marketed towards audiences. You sell more magazines by sticking a BMW on the cover than a Kia with some exclamation as to why you should be excited about the BMW.

If you want to see how motor journalism has changed . Just look how TopGear started and compare it with how it ended (Clarkson, May & Hammond not the other lot) to see worlds apart.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want to see how motor journalism has changed . Just look how TopGear started and compare it with how it ended (Clarkson, May & Hammond not the other lot) to see worlds apart.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I love the way she just danced around the subject of men and women drivers.....:cool:

I love the way she just danced around the subject of men and women drivers.....:cool:
At least she kept her attention on her driving, instead of the all too common method of spending half the time looking at the camera “to engage with the audience.”

Without reading the WhatCar reviews and the criteria they use to place each car, the conclusion I draw from the results is that they’re completely meaningless.
Agreed- what "small" car does Audi make? :dk:

Its Polo based.....so its pretty small....especially if you get in the back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom