Gloves for filling with diesel RANT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Arrive at local filling station in Belfast and proceed to look for gloves and there is none, then try all 4 dispensers for paper towel and there is none.

I remember that i have one of those little disposable blue refuelling gloves in the car. Fill the car with £90 worth of diesel wearing the one glove.

When paying i ask the kind lady behind the desk politely if they had stopped supplying gloves for refuelling and she shrugged and said "they steal them". I asked if she had them behind the counter should i care to refuel there again and she said "NO"

Why of why do we have to put up with this???????????:wallbash::wallbash:

Rant over!

For the money they charge per litre now I'd expect them to come out and fill it for me.

For the money they charge per litre now I'd expect them to come out and fill it for me.

I walked down to the local garage last week and found that a young Lady still does..

I need to check the price, I think.

I always tell these lovely people that working with the public is not for everybody and encourage them to find a job where they give a sh1t.

Climb into the attitude a bit, let them know you have one too......

But why would you want to fill your gloves with Diesel ? :dk:

I can't say that I have ever noticed people using gloves in petrol stations - I know that Diesel does tend to froth up a bit more and does not evaporate away as Petrol does , but I always manage to fill up without spilling any and wouldn't go looking for gloves .

If I did want them , I usually have a box of 100 nitrile gloves in the boot for work .

I walked down to the local garage last week and found that a young Lady still does..

I need to check the price, I think.

I walked down to the garage last week and found a young lady that needs filling....

I need to check the price, I think....

most fuel stations are struggling to survive at the moment, wouldnt expect any luxuries, especially at the smaller independents.
They make the same crummy 2-4p per litre out of which they have to pay massive overheads and find the extra capital required to keep the tanks full which now costs almost 50% more than it did a few years ago.

Don't they make a profit on existing stock whenever the price goes up?

I would like to believe that they actually sell any existing stock at the old price, but....

I certainly use a glove (singular) when filling with diesel. There's usually spilt fuel on the pump handle, and I don't see why I should get it on my nice leather steering wheel.

Rather than stuffing the odd extra glove that comes out back in the dispenser I keep stock of a few spare in the door pocket - had to use one at Sainsburys the other night.

I certainly use a glove (singular) when filling with diesel. There's usually spilt fuel on the pump handle, and I don't see why I should get it on my nice leather steering wheel.

Rather than stuffing the odd extra glove that comes out back in the dispenser I keep stock of a few spare in the door pocket - had to use one at Sainsburys the other night.

Phobia about touching shopping trolley handles?

Phobia about touching shopping trolley handles?
Nah... But diesel has a really strong odour to it that doesn't evaporate (for good reason) so if there's even the smallest drop of it on the handle of the pump you end up stinking like a filling station for the rest of the day.

What I am surprised at is the lack of an inbuilt refuelling glove dispenser on our cars though. After all, MB think of pretty much everything else, so why not a mechanism to present you with a pristine, slightly-opened-ready-for-your-hand-to-slip-in, disposable plastic glove each time you open the fuel filler flap :dk:

I agree diesel is not the nicest substance, and not something I'd want on my hands. Back in the day when I drove for a living I used to keep a pair of those nasty plastic dipped gloves in the cab for when it was time to fill up.

Nowadays (if I had a diesel, which I don't :p), I'd be inclined to keep a box of latex gloves in the boot - works out at the grand total of 6.7p each, which is small change compared to the cost of a fill-up these days..

Available from an engineering supplier near you..

Cromwell Industrial Tools UK: Tuffsafe : LATEX GLOVES NATURAL POWDERED - LARGE (BOX-100) : TFF-961-3122C

Cheers,

Gaz

Only got derv on my hands a couple of times, never occurs to me to get gloves. Its soo blooming dear I make sure not a drop is spilt :D

I used to knick the gloves at any given occasion.

They came in handy for applying patination oil to leadwork at the end of the working day.

Sorry guys. :ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom