gone and got another merc, now request your experience and input

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upex

Car
2001 s320 cdi w220 & 1998 slk 230 komp r170
Hi all,

Despite the issues with my s class, I've gone and got a 170 slk 2.3 98, high mileage at 145,000, but seems in pretty good nick to be honest, and for £1700 with new mot, I couldn't really say no.

I've had a read around here for the past few hours, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of things to do and check on the 170, so wonder if anyone can please advise and if possible, provide any links to the required tasks please.

For example, I did stumble upon a thread that was about unblocking the drains in the back and using mesh to help prevent debris from clogging them up again etc. This is obviously not something that I'd ever think to search for, and thus would have missed completely.

Don't want to miss anything else, and hopefully, if we can collate a big central list in one place, it'll help others in the future as well as me now.

Thanks all.

Upex

As above check the drains.
Check the pse pump in the boot isn't damp - remove it to check the foam 'case'
Make sure the roof is used regularly as micro switches can fail
Rust. Lots of rust. Especially round the boot lock handle - later cars were worst
That's about it. Sorted cars.

Cheers Ted.

What's the pse pump?

Re the drains, are just the two of them at the rear quarters (or whatever that are called on little cars).

Thanks,

Upex

Last edited:
Rust wise, its showing some around rear arches, but not major, so will be getting a quote for them fairly soon before they get any worse. Rear seems ok, but will have a proper look, now I know where LOL.

Cheers.

Also, what SPEC engine oil does she need, and how much of it? I see euro parts has listed a discount so will look to buy a full service suite if can confirm what SPEC and quanity etc.

Any does and donts on filters and such?

Is there a fuel filter and pre filter? Or just the one?

Any insight welcome, as I haven't a clue about these.

Lastly, should I change the supercharger oil, steering dampener etc as seen a fair bit mentioned on these points.

Thanks, Upex

Pse - remove the spare and the jack and foam stuff the jack sits in- you will see the pse pump in a plasticky foamy case - just right fir soaking up any water that has got into the boot. Take it all out to check properly - its an easy job.
I cleared the drains out with some curtain wire and cut come 'X's at the bottom with a stanley knife. You can see them either side of the spare wheel well looking under the car.

I always use a Mercedes oil filter. I tend to use Asda or Halfords fully synthetic oil - whatever is cheapest at the time, bit I change at 5-6000 miles it's a 20 min job with a topsider.

Cheers Ted, ill take a look. What is the pse though? Never heard that acronym before (other that at school for physical sex ed. But assume that's not in the well :-s )

How much oil does she need? Assume not a massive lot as a 4 pot but don't want to be half way through and not have enough lol.

Cheers. Upex

It is a C230k in a smaller shell with a folding roof.

Everything else is the same as on the c class so have a search on those and you'll find the common issues.

The pse pump is the central locking pump - provides the vacuum to lock doors, fuel flap etc.
Also flashes indicators and (I think) tells the alarm module that it is locked.
Not sure on the oil capacity - pretty sure it is over five litres.
As V12 says, it is a w202 in drag, so overall a solid reliable car.

Ha ha, a 202 in drag. Love it.

Cheers both, I didn't realise that it was a c class inside. My only experience with mercs is my s class really.

V12, cheers for the heads up, ill try to find a c class to do list.

Ted, thanks for that. Will check it out. Not sure about alarm mind, looks like its an aftermarket one and the buzzer unit is disconnected, so assume it has issues. Although I have no seperate fob etc, so perhaps it is a genuine alarm, just a faulty one, thus disconnected. Wonder how id tell?

Cheers, Upex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom