gummi pflege not helping sticking windows?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What happens if you open the window from the key before getting in?

Unfortunately that system doesn't seem to work on my car, it did on my CLK 500... Unless I'm doing something wrong? You hold the key to the infrared receptor and press and hold unlock? Doesn't do anything on mine. Good idea though 👍

I think Young Robert is talking about the physical key blade hidden in your key fob.

Arrhhhh i see, does that drop the window? That is experiment number 5 then, to be conducted at some point and reported back on...
Dunno, guv, but that’s what I assumed Roberto meant. It’ll physically unlock the door which “may” activate the “drop.”

Dunno, guv, but that’s what I assumed Roberto meant. It’ll physically unlock the door which “may” activate the “drop.”

Nope, using the key doesn't drop the window. And the 'point key at IR sensor on door handle' trick doesn't work on this car... hmmm, no more options left really except apologise to the god of mechanical sympathy every time i prise the window past the door seals :rolleyes: At least if they're warmed up with hot water it will reduce chance of damage

Nope, using the key doesn't drop the window. And the 'point key at IR sensor on door handle' trick doesn't work on this car... hmmm, no more options left really except apologise to the god of mechanical sympathy every time i prise the window past the door seals :rolleyes: At least if they're warmed up with hot water it will reduce chance of damage
I did mean open the window using IR rather than @MikeInWimbledon suggestion that I meant using the key blade. I’m sure I was going to suggest that next 👀😁

If you have a spare key try that with the IR, and if you have a spare battery for the key try that too. Quite a few people report that the IR has stopped working but I wonder whether that’s due to low battery.

PS @MikeInWimbledon made my day by calling me “young” and then immediately took it away that warm feeling by making feel like I’m in trouble by calling me Robert!

I think the IR receiver in the door handles can cause trouble.

Mind you I am sure I remember reading of broken window regulators in the 219 CLS too.

I suggest if the window is frozen up, the additional force on the motor/mechanism isn’t going to do it much good. Likewise the rubber seal if the glass is unable to drop as a result of being frozen/jammed.

I’d recommend some tepid water or de-icer spray perhaps - less likely to do damage than forcing the mechanism or the seals.

And look at the IR system when the weather has warmed up a bit! :)

May be a silly question, but once you’ve unlocked the car, does the passenger door window also not work?

All good ideas to try:
  • Check passenger door drops or not in same conditions
  • Try spare key to see if the IR auto window drop feature works
  • And also I wonder if I should get a half car cover? Are they a faff? Do they make one look like a total Audi driver?

Basically I'm suddenly using the car 3 times a week when normally I cycle to work and it's just a weekender... bad timing with the weather!

Cheers all, much appreciated comments 👍 :)

All good ideas to try:
  • Check passenger door drops or not in same conditions
  • Try spare key to see if the IR auto window drop feature works
  • And also I wonder if I should get a half car cover? Are they a faff? Do they make one look like a total Audi driver?

Basically I'm suddenly using the car 3 times a week when normally I cycle to work and it's just a weekender... bad timing with the weather!

Cheers all, much appreciated comments 👍 :)
Wouldn't bother with a half car cover, they are a faff and look a
bit naff. Personally I would just persevere for the odd time it's a problem. Kettle in the morning. And if you think it's gonna be frozen after work, just bring a bottle of warm water out with you. Job done. imo anyway. 🙂👍

Frost and ice will melt with surprisingly cool water, even room temperature will do the job most times, which helps to reduce the risk of thermal shock.

Room temperature water only freezes a little faster than properly warm water too. Follow up with appropriately dosed squirt screenwash to prevent freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom