HELP! -> 722.6 Still with problem after the change of sensor plate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fjmrf

Car
W203 / C Class 2001 270 CDI Elegance Black (manufactured in South Africa)
Hi. I'm having big issues with my 2001 W203 C270cdi gearbox.

Situation: Few months ago it starts to go to limb mode and slip gear when it was hot. After look in the forum and around the internet and having the scanner showed errors 014, 110 (RPM Comparison N2 to N3 Implausible), 146 Inadmissible Transmission Ratio and 147 (Gear Implausible or Transmission Slipping) I decided to have the Sensor plate, connector (to prevent leaks) filter and ATF changed.

Well, here starts the problem: The gearbox sound a lot more smooth (it was some dirty in the gearbox and the ATF was really old, but notting exceptional) but the PROBLEM STILL THERE! :wallbash:

When cold it works perfectly, when hot, if you press the gas a bit more than the normal, it goes to limb mode. If you do it again before turn the car off and on it goes to mechanical limb mode (as before).

I've it scanned again (I had not reseted the errors after change the plate) and comes the problem still there, with the same errors. So I've changed the plate, filter, ATF, reseted the gearbox ECU and the problem still there.

I'm out of theories and I DO NEED HELP!

Please, any ideas?

If the gear is actually slipping then the friction material is worn out and it seems the sensor was correctly monitoring this slippage.

Hi.

The gears are not slipping. When the ATF is cold work perfectly, and when goes to limb mode goes without shows any slip... the car has 97k miles
Any other theory?

Thanks a lot!

If the gear is actually slipping then the friction material is worn out and it seems the sensor was correctly monitoring this slippage.

I have a similar problem with my 2001 E320 Estate. It runs fine for a few miles - all gears work- then loses all drive - as if it were in neutral but the light still says D. No other fAult lights come on. Same happens if the car is left idling and stationary for 25 minutes or so. Then, switch off ignition, wait a couple of minutes, restart and it's fine - changes through all the gears until another 5 miles or so, and no drive again. Star test shows codes P2500 and P2502. Help! Is it electronic or a new toque converter and gearbox?

Car: 2001 e320 estate
I have a similar problem with my 2001 E320 Estate. It runs fine for a few miles - all gears work- then loses all drive - as if it were in neutral but the light still says D. No other fAult lights come on. Same happens if the car is left idling and stationary for 25 minutes or so. Then, switch off ignition, wait a couple of minutes, restart and it's fine - changes through all the gears until another 5 miles or so, and no drive again. Star test shows codes P2500 and P2502. Help! Is it electronic or a new toque converter and gearbox?

Paul - it's not limp mode - it doesnt even crawl! There is no drive either forward or reverse - just like the car is in neutral - engine can rev with no drive at all

Paul - it's not limp mode - it doesnt even crawl! There is no drive either forward or reverse - just like the car is in neutral - engine can rev with no drive at all

I wasn't talking to you :)

i was talking to "limb mode" OP

:fail

Hi. Thanks for the replay, but my one the problem is a bit different... No problem if you drive normal. If you floored in 2nd to 3rd it slips (at least before I change the plate and ATF, I didn't tried yet) as neutral, than I putted in neutral and back in D and it worked again...

I don't have these codes in my...

Thanks and good luck!

Well, it happens when english is not yours first language... But i bet that my english is better than yours portuguese or spanish... So, give a chance!

Any useful idea about the problem ?

Thanks.

I wasn't talking to you :)

i was talking to "limb mode" OP

:fail

As DM says, its sounds like it is slipping and the sensor is picking this up.
Just because you can't feel an obvious slip, doesn't mean it isn't slipping slightly.

Hi. I can understand it, but if is it what is happening, why it works well, but really well, until get hot? That is the big question... :crazy:

Thank you for the replay.

Cheers

As DM says, its sounds like it is slipping and the sensor is picking this up.
Just because you can't feel an obvious slip, doesn't mean it isn't slipping slightly.

Only a guess, but i would put my money on the 'hydro-electric plate' being the cause of your problem, this unit is fitted with hydraulic electro valves that can cause false neutrals when they go bad, the whole unit is easily accessible and replaceable just by dropping the sump of the gearbox.

Last edited:
As it does it when it's hot I expect a fluid pressure issue.

When the 722.6 gets on a bit the seals inside the gearbox become poor and they loose the ability to keep the pressure up and then it looses drive.

Either way you need it plugged in and a level check done. Then I would drop the sump pan to check for debris.

Hi. Thanks for the replay, but my one the problem is a bit different... No problem if you drive normal. If you floored in 2nd to 3rd it slips (at least before I change the plate and ATF, I didn't tried yet) as neutral, than I putted in neutral and back in D and it worked again...

Does it feel like the gearbox is selecting neutral then re-engaging a gear, if so it's possible the gear linkage is too tight due to sagging engine mounts.

Hi. I'm having big issues with my 2001 W203 C270cdi gearbox.

Situation: Few months ago it starts to go to limb mode and slip gear when it was hot. After look in the forum and around the internet and having the scanner showed errors 014, 110 (RPM Comparison N2 to N3 Implausible), 146 Inadmissible Transmission Ratio and 147 (Gear Implausible or Transmission Slipping) I decided to have the Sensor plate, connector (to prevent leaks) filter and ATF changed.

Well, here starts the problem: The gearbox sound a lot more smooth (it was some dirty in the gearbox and the ATF was really old, but notting exceptional) but the PROBLEM STILL THERE! :wallbash:

When cold it works perfectly, when hot, if you press the gas a bit more than the normal, it goes to limb mode. If you do it again before turn the car off and on it goes to mechanical limb mode (as before).

I've it scanned again (I had not reseted the errors after change the plate) and comes the problem still there, with the same errors. So I've changed the plate, filter, ATF, reseted the gearbox ECU and the problem still there.

I'm out of theories and I DO NEED HELP!

Please, any ideas?

Can you please tell me what this problem was caused by? iv got an ml with same problems, error codes and symptoms you have cheers

I have exactly same problem with my 2005 E class and I don’t understand what is the cause of it, I even changed the plate but didn’t change the solenoids. Perhaps I should change the solenoids too?

As it does it when it's hot I expect a fluid pressure issue.

When the 722.6 gets on a bit the seals inside the gearbox become poor and they loose the ability to keep the pressure up and then it looses drive.

Either way you need it plugged in and a level check done. Then I would drop the sump pan to check for debris.
How would you fix the gearbox seals issue then?

Kindest regards

jehanzeb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom