Help connecting gas bottle to Weber BBQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before you do anything else rotate that bottle and unkink the pipe.
Done. I had it front facing because I read it needed to be but I've turned it now.

is that writing on the sloping sides of the regulator? what does the black lever on the top do? is it an on/off switch?

The writing on the slope is just the brand. The black lever is an on/off switch. I checked it just to make sure the on releases the push fit part and it does. This is the regulator I bought but I've seen they have a similar one as well (second link), not sure if that could make a difference.

Its not in any rush, can take an inordinate amount of time to purge thru

I actually smelt gas for the first time last night which is a plus I guess. I pushed the regulator on as hard as I could and twisted it around a bit into the fitting. I still didn't get a fire after a couple of minutes and couldn't smell gas from the grill but when I took the regulator off, I smelt the fitting/pin on the regulator and could smell a heavy gas smell, maybe I need to leave the valve open for much longer but I read in the manual it should take 30 seconds so not sure why it would take so long unless it's really low pressure.

😱😱 And you’re asking about GAS barbecues!!!

🤣🤣 🇬🇷

Yeah haha, to be honest I'm not interested in arguing with the rest of the Cypriots about charcoal barbecues LOL. We have an apartment with a big square balcony and a larger tiled roof garden/roof top space above it but it will be hassle to lug up bags of charcoal and then have to clean out the ashes every-time, this way I can start it up easily whenever I want and it's not as much mess, but that's if I can get it going :wallbash:

Yeah haha, to be honest I'm not interested in arguing with the rest of the Cypriots about charcoal barbecues LOL. We have an apartment with a big square balcony and a larger tiled roof garden/roof top space above it but it will be hassle to lug up bags of charcoal and then have to clean out the ashes every-time, this way I can start it up easily whenever I want and it's not as much mess, but that's if I can get it going :wallbash:
Gas all the way then.

That regulator that you have purchased can be a buggar to push/clip on fully to the bottle. Unless it is fully on the gas won't flow, You said you could smell a bit of gas after wriggling the regulator so that may be the issue
Put the regulator on with the tap closed and make sure it is fully home (press very hard) then open the tap and the gas should flow

kc

That regulator that you have purchased can be a buggar to push/clip on fully to the bottle. Unless it is fully on the gas won't flow, You said you could smell a bit of gas after wriggling the regulator so that may be the issue
Put the regulator on with the tap closed and make sure it is fully home (press very hard) then open the tap and the gas should flow

kc

Yeah, I bought this one (the first picture) but I've seen the one below in a lot of pictures, not sure what the difference is but maybe the second one has a longer pin or different locking set up which will work better. I might go back and get this one later today to try it.

0177402.jpeg

0177405.jpeg

Yeah, I bought this one (the first picture) but I've seen the one below in a lot of pictures, not sure what the difference is but maybe the second one has a longer pin or different locking set up which will work better. I might go back and get this one later today to try it.

View attachment 145192

View attachment 145193

It may be a good idea to take the bottle as well so the shop can show you how to connect it properly
You can then turn the tap on for a second to feel the gas coming out
Do not smoke while attempting this 😬😂

It may be a good idea to take the bottle as well so the shop can show you how to connect it properly
You can then turn the tap on for a second to feel the gas coming out
Do not smoke while attempting this 😬😂
That's a good point actually as well. Not sure the shop will be happy with me walking in with a 10kg gas canister, most aren't that helpful here, but I could disconnect the hose from the regulator and then I will be able to feel if gas is flowing so I can see where the issue is. Gonna go and buy the different regulator later anyway because it's what I've seen in most pictures.

Looking at your pictures in post 17 the regulator seems to be sitting at an odd angle on the bottle, as if it's not properly seated. This would stop gas flowing without doubt. Try pushing down on it a bit harder.

Looking at your pictures in post 17 the regulator seems to be sitting at an odd angle on the bottle, as if it's not properly seated. This would stop gas flowing without doubt. Try pushing down on it a bit harder.
Thanks for taking the time to look so carefully but that was when I had the hose to the side because I read the bottle should always be front facing but I turned the bottle a little bit and brought the hose round so the regulator could sit on the opening on the front but still no luck. Gonna try one more time in a minute to push down as hard as I can (not sure I can go any harder) and if it still doesn't work I'll get the different type of regulator.

if it is the type of regulator the you lift up the black ring to release it from the bottle, try lifting the black ring then push the regulator onto the bottle and release the ring. a very light squirt of wd40 on the locking mechanism but not the bit that goes into the bottle might help. I am guessing the reg is held on by ball bearings in grooves, if they are dry they can be akward to move

edit. from the pic of you holding the regulator there is quite a bit of the black "skirt" showing above the release ring but in the pic with the reg on the bottle there seems to be less "skirt" showing. it could just be the camera angle but i think that the pic with the most showing is also how much should show when its on the bottle correctly

Last edited:
if it is the type of regulator the you lift up the black ring to release it from the bottle, try lifting the black ring then push the regulator onto the bottle and release the ring. a very light squirt of wd40 on the locking mechanism but not the bit that goes into the bottle might help. I am guessing the reg is held on by ball bearings in grooves, if they are dry they can be akward to move

edit. from the pic of you holding the regulator there is quite a bit of the black "skirt" showing above the release ring but in the pic with the reg on the bottle there seems to be less "skirt" showing. it could just be the camera angle but i think that the pic with the most showing is also how much should show when its on the bottle correctly

This was the comment that turned the lights on! Finally got it working. Bought the new type of regulator but still wasn't working, but basically I was pushing the regulator down from the top after locking it on, but you really need to wiggle it and push down on the black skirt and it drops down a touch more. IMG_0628.JPG

Turned it off at the valve/regulator and will buy a fire extinguisher and check for leaks as well before it's next used. I assume it's all safe in the off position on the regulator/valve combo.

This was the comment that turned the lights on! Finally got it working. Bought the new type of regulator but still wasn't working, but basically I was pushing the regulator down from the top after locking it on, but you really need to wiggle it and push down on the black skirt and it drops down a touch more. View attachment 145221

Turned it off at the valve/regulator and will buy a fire extinguisher and check for leaks as well before it's next used. I assume it's all safe in the off position on the regulator/valve combo.
Glad you finally have success.:banana:
Bring on the meat!
Perfectly safe to leave the regulator attached with the valve turned to off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom